Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,455,607 times

Advertisements

^
Mainly because the auto industry is going away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 04:38 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,841,034 times
I got to this a little late, but here it goes. The Dayton metro area has been hit hard but layoff's. Some of these people have to work somewhere and they may choose to work 20 miles down the road in The Cincinnati metro area.

I don't know why people always measure downtown to downtown. How would that look? You living in one metro's downtown but live in another metro's downtown.

Downtown Dayton is only 14 miles from Cincinnati MSA(Warren,Butler counties). The minneapolis,St paul, St cloud csa covers an area much larger than the a combined Cincinnati Dayton CSA. As well as Baltimore-Washington, Saint Louis, Dallas-Fort Worth.

Why doesn't Cleveland complain about Saint Louis since it covers an area larger than the whole state of New Jersy.

Why not complain about Orlando/Daytona Beach/Melbourne which is now one CSA of 2.7 million? But you can't tell between the development between the two that they are one combined metro. Its all about commuting patterns.

Why not complain about Sacramento who has a city(Truckee) over 100 miles from it's downtown in it's CSA?

Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 PM

7 posts, read 13,897 times
I don't really see how this would change much.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:44 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,928,797 times
All theyre doing is changing the name of the Metro. Its not like Dayton all of a sudden moved 40 miles closer to Cincinnati. Same thing if Akron-Canton or Youngstown was added to the Cleveland Metro.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 11-23-2008 at 12:04 AM..

Old 11-23-2008, 12:23 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,454,775 times
the media market will change, as will the transportation funding structure. it is indeed a big deal.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:43 AM

526 posts, read 1,483,145 times
Default The Populations are Combining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
All theyre doing is changing the name of the Metro. Its not like Dayton all of a sudden moved 40 miles closer to Cincinnati.
What would be happening is a recognition of the reality that the area between the two cities is being/has been "urbanized" and in that respect "Dayton" and "Cincinnati" ARE moving closer together -- no not the acutal municipal boundaries but the COMMUNITIES.

I can remember 30 years ago that in a trip from Cincinnati to Dayton was traveling between two distinct population centers with substantial green space between them. This is no longer the case.

And it's not just bedroom communities that are being built between the two municipalities but vital commerce facilities like hospitals and business centers.

I know this would never happen but, it would be great if some wise, forward thinking planner somewhere would decide to put a regional airport somewhere between corporate Cincinnati and corporate Dayton.

Dayton's airport is small and located on the city's north; Cincinnati's airport is located to its south (thanks to the Democrat party of the 1940's) and is attrophying due to the monopolistic practices of Delta Airlines.

A new regional airport located conveniently in the metroplex would spark ecomonic development that would make our heads spin!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I don't understand how this would be a good thing or change anything for that matter. Dayton is sixty miles away from Cincinnati. Its just about as close to Columbus as it is to Cincinnati. If things allow, Dayton and Columbus would surely start growing nearer to each other. Then what? Initially without hearing any good reasons I don't like the idea one bit. Dayton was always its own city. There might be one percent of people who drive to Cincinnati for work. Dayton has as much history as Columbus even though its much smaller. This doesn't seem realistic in anyway. Dayton is a full fledged city, and always has been. Its not suburb or town.

Is the reasoning to stimulate growth? I understand very well Ohio cities have been decaying for a long time, and Dayton is definitely one of those. I still haven't lost hope. Shrinking isn't necessarily a death sentence. The area was bound to see a lot of shrinking as newer areas and new infrastructure sprung up. I'm very peculiar about the city. Also I don't know that Daytonians and Cincinnatian's are all that similar. Dayton has always had liberal undertones, and its traditionally a very moderate city. Cincinnati needs to resolve some ethnic problems and prove to itself it can be a better city overall before thinking about another city.

And quite frankly, Cincinnati has never had the influence or power to absorb Dayton. Maybe a small town like Middletown, but theres no way Cincinnati has never had any great amount of influence on Daytonian's. Most Daytonian's avoid Cincinnati. Or periodically go there for the Fourth of July fireworks show, or Kings Island, or a sports game. That's about it. Cincinnati is very alien to some Daytonian's.
I don't mean to stray from the subject, but you mentioned ethnic problems. What ethnic challenges does Cincinnati currently have? I am from the South and may be relocating to your city. The discussions on this website have been extremely helpful in learning about my future home.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:43 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,721,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
the media market will change, as will the transportation funding structure. it is indeed a big deal.
Hell, the media markets are already starting to. There's a thread in UrbanOhio about it.

I also agree with the funding and transportation. We're all familiar with the area, how it changes and grows and also the individuality, but Cin-Day being recognized by the census as a single metro will enable us to receive more funding (which we should). Retailers also take note of these changes, because they have a Real Estate divisions.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,454,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Hell, the media markets are already starting to. There's a thread in UrbanOhio about it.

I also agree with the funding and transportation. We're all familiar with the area, how it changes and grows and also the individuality, but Cin-Day being recognized by the census as a single metro will enable us to receive more funding (which we should). Retailers also take note of these changes, because they have a Real Estate divisions.
not to mention cincinnati will be the largest MSA and CSA in ohio. i think perceptions will start to change about cinci nationally soon enough.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:54 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,634,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Our metro passed up Cleveland's already.
No. But with dayton you should..

But it really makes no sense. Why Cleveland and Akron/Canton aren't in the same MSA and Cinci and Dayton are is quite retarded.

If Cleveland, Lorain, Akron, Canton, etc were all the same MSA it would make up a population of 4.5 million. About 40% of the states population.

And LOL, the area between Dayton and Cinci has become urbanized? The area between Cleveland and Akron has been urbanized for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio