Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,731,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Dayton and Cincinnati dont seem connected to me at all.
The last piece of land on 75 was recently purchased with plans for development ... from urban core to urban core.

Quote:
Like the other poster said, they are 60 miles apart and in those 60 miles its not like its urban area after urban area, its very low density suburbs.
That's correct, it's all aprawl, i.e. Dall/Ft. Worth, BAL-WASH, etc ... BUT it is connecting from urban core to urban core.

Quote:
Cincinnati and Dayton are two entirely different cities and I really didnt notice many similarities between the two. Its not really going to help Dayton at all either.
Correct, they are two different cities. i.e. Dall/Ft. Worth, BAL-WASH, etc.

Quote:
Just because its called Cincinnati/Dayton now thats just on paper, its not going to help anything in Dayton in reality.
Wrong here. It's called "Federal Grants/incentives/breaks."

Quote:
Also, there is no Cincinnati growth around Dayton
Wrong again. I would bet money that the average resident of SWOH cannot distinguish which county belongs to each MSA. Cincinnati's sprawl is pushing it's way into Dayton.

Quote:
There is no way that anybody is going to drive an hour from a Dayton suburb to Cincinnati for work everyday, and vice versa to Dayton.
LOL ... Cle440 ... look at the map above!

Thousands do! I know 3, and on a side note my wife works with a lady that drives to DT Cincy and lives in Indianapolis.

I know you're more familiar with NEOH, but that's just the way it is around here. There are major cities within short drives in all directions, Cbus, Dayton, Indy, Lex, L'Ville ...

Quote:
Besides the suburbs they arent growing together at all.
This is just silly.

Are all of you guys familiar with how a metro is formed? If not, feel free to ask and I'll be more than happy to break it down for you ... I'm serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 03:44 PM

Cincinnati and Dayton connecting ...

Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 PM

Urbanized Maps:

Old 08-14-2008, 05:02 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,944,838 times
Are you serious?...So you are actually telling me there are people that drive from Dayton and Indianapolis to get to downtown Cincinnati for work everyday?

Dayton is 1 hour away from there, and Indianapolis is 2 hours away. Thats nearly the equivalent of living in Cleveland and driving to Columbus for work everyday. That is probably one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard in my life. With gas prices being as high as they are, along with the ridiculous amount of time it takes to drive there, anybody who does that must not have much sense. I honestly hope you are joking about that. Who on earth would drive 4 hours a day to get to and from work? I can maybe understand NYC, LA, even Chicago...But Cincinnati? No way. Also, I didnt know that 2 hours was a "short drive".

I am very familiar with how a metro is formed. I have been studying urban areas along with everything that comes with it extensively for at least the past 5 years. Anything from city history, to neighborhoods, maps, street names and street grids, to urban decay, to poverty, crime and problems, to parks, to urban growth and abandonment, to statistics and demographics. I know just about everything there is to know about urban areas and everything that comes with them.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,099,892 times
I know several people that commute from east and south Dayton suburbs to Cincy's suburbs and downtown and they don't mind the commute. It can range anywhere from 45min to 1 1/2 hours depending on driving conditions and accidents. For them, it's the other drivers that are most irksome. I also believe some people don't mind that kind of commute here as opposed to LA/NYC because it's not as stressful and you get further in the same amount of time.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Are you serious?...So you are actually telling me there are people that drive from Dayton and Indianapolis to get to downtown Cincinnati for work everyday?

Dayton is 1 hour away from there, and Indianapolis is 2 hours away. Thats nearly the equivalent of living in Cleveland and driving to Columbus for work everyday. That is probably one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard in my life. With gas prices being as high as they are, along with the ridiculous amount of time it takes to drive there, anybody who does that must not have much sense. I honestly hope you are joking about that. Who on earth would drive 4 hours a day to get to and from work? I can maybe understand NYC, LA, even Chicago...But Cincinnati? No way.
Yep, from Indy to DT Cincy, 5 days a week. We had a similar convo on UrbanOhio about the same discussion and another member also knew someone who made the same commute.

A quick google search shows that there are plenty of mentions of commuting from Indy to Cincy.

Quote:
Also, I didnt know that 2 hours was a "short drive".
Me either. Who would ever say that?

Quote:
I am very familiar with how a metro is formed. I have been studying urban areas along with everything that comes with it extensively for at least the past 5 years. Anything from city history, to neighborhoods, maps, street names and street grids, to urban decay, to poverty, crime and problems, to parks, to urban growth and abandonment, to statistics and demographics. I know just about everything there is to know about urban areas and everything that comes with them.
Can you please post on what the requirements are on how the census comes to the conclusion on how a metro is formed then, please?

BTW, Indy to Cincy is an hour and a half and without rush hour, one can drive from Dayton to Cincinnati in about 45 minutes or less. From Columbus to Cincy is an hour and fifteen minutes, I just made the drive about 2 weeks ago.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I know several people that commute from east and south Dayton suburbs to Cincy's suburbs and downtown and they don't mind the commute. It can range anywhere from 45min to 1 1/2 hours depending on driving conditions and accidents. For them, it's the other drivers that are most irksome. I also believe some people don't mind that kind of commute here as opposed to LA/NYC because it's not as stressful and you get further in the same amount of time.
Yeah ... like the map says above, the number of commuters is well into the thousands.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM

92 posts, read 349,107 times
I have to agree with Cincy-Rise here. Dayton and Cincy are growing or have grown into one big *ss area. Whether you love it or hate it, it's happened. It is connected from Urban core to Urban core and yes lots of people are making the commute from one to the other. Lots of people in cincy are moving north and lots in dayton are moving south.....thus creating Cin-Day or my personal fav: Daytonnati!

What's happening now is people are now strategically trying to live in the middle so that they can work in either area or in a lot of cases; a husband will work in Dayton and his wife may work in Cincy. The whole middle area (Mason, Lebanon, West Chester, Monroe, Middletown) it's all now a big blur. I offically think they are "Cin-Day"

The drive between the 2 downtowns is only 45 minutes in normal conditions. During rush hour it can get a little dicey, but people I have friends who live in LA and Chicago and they have an even longer commute just trying to get across town. So, whatever side you're on, just embrace that it's happened, for better or worse. Let's just hope we can all work together for the betterment of the area. I'd love to see them build a bullet train from downtown cincy to downtown Dayton, it'll probably never happen, but hey. . I can dream!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,460,272 times
Quote:

Dayton is 1 hour away from there, and Indianapolis is 2 hours away. Thats nearly the equivalent of living in Cleveland and driving to Columbus for work everyday. That is probably one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard in my life. With gas prices being as high as they are, along with the ridiculous amount of time it takes to drive there, anybody who does that must not have much sense. I honestly hope you are joking about that. Who on earth would drive 4 hours a day to get to and from work? I can maybe understand NYC, LA, even Chicago...But Cincinnati? No way. Also, I didnt know that 2 hours was a "short drive".

seriously, and cincy-rise and i don't agree often, but he's not lying. i know plenty of folks that drive from indy and columbus to work in cincinnati. cinti has a strong white collar economy, and it's a true regional business center in the fashion (not scale) of chicago, etc. the 60 mile thing is overrated: there's not a whole lot of corn to look at. if dayton is so connected to columbus, why is it ALL corn from springfield on to 270? if dayton is so independent, why isn't it a major city on it's own? what i don't get is why cincinnati can't get any credit for anything and is constantly downplayed. on a bunch of levels, dayton depends on cincinnati. hell, if you played h.s. sports for dayton or cincinnati public, you played against the other more than you did the suburban schools around the corner from you. one more thing....what is supposed to go between two cities besides suburbs?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,944,838 times
All I have to say is that is ridiculous. Driving from Indianapolis to Downtown Cincinnati is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Whether its true or not thats beside the point. Why? Even in the Southeast area of Indianapolis thats still at the very least a 1 hour 30 minute drive. Im not saying its not true, Im saying if it is those people must not be that intelligent. If you work in Cincinnati why wouldnt you move around it rather than driving 2 hours everyday to and from work.

I know that Cincinnati and Dayton are somewhat connected but the simple fact is that they are 60 miles apart and in between them is nothing but very low density suburbs in a small line around 75. They are growing together though. If you look at Dayton theres virtually nothing East, North, or West of the city. Especially west, it literally goes from Dayton right into cornfields. All the development is happening North of Cincinnati and South of Dayton. Also, Dayton and Columbus arent connected at all and neither are Springfield and Columbus or really even Springfield and Dayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio