Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
southern ohio definitely isnt "the south", but the far lower portions of it definitely have a southern appalachian influence to them. still, id hardly call it "the south"
Wow. You and I fully agree!

And I love Bob Evens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times
Highland and Adams Counties (the areas between, say, Hillsboro and the Ohio River) and the hill country along the Sicioto Valley south of Chillicothe seem a LOT like Kentucky to me. Hillsboro could easily be a Kentucky county seat town.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 PM

37 posts, read 145,444 times
I will respectfully disagree with your comments about SE Ohio being similair to parts of Appalchia NY. I was born and raised in SE Ohio with some parts of famly still liviing in WV and Northern VA. We have nothing in common with Yankees from NY ecxept our hills. Researching my family history as far back as the Civil war, I know they were aligned with the Confedracy as my uncle was a "slave catcher" in his o[SIZE=3]bituary. [/SIZE] Folks around here were split between the North and South 50% but the northen part of Ohio was pro Union. These parts still fly the Confederate flag proud for the most part.

Wonderful West Virginia

Last edited by Marietta89; 12-09-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM

144 posts, read 270,595 times
Interesting topic.

To people from southern Ohio: Is your accent noticed in cities like Cincinnati and Columbus? I know those cities received alot of Appalachian migrants from eastern Kentucky several decades ago and some of them had a hard time because of their accents. Is it the same for southern Ohioans who leave their area, or is it because the stigma attached to being from Kentucky?

Last edited by memberX; 12-09-2010 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
I will respectfully disagree with your comments about SE Ohio being similair to parts of Appalchia NY. I was born and raised in SE Ohio with some parts of famly still liviing in WV and Northern VA. We have nothing in common with Yankees from NY ecxept our hills. Researching my family history as far back as the Civil war, I know they were aligned with the Confedracy as my uncle was a "slave catcher" in his o[SIZE=3]bituary. [/SIZE] Folks around here were split between the North and South 50% but the northen part of Ohio was pro Union. These parts still fly the Confederate flag proud for the most part.

Wonderful West Virginia
Have you been to that part of NY?

You'd be surprised I think.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
Is part of NY really "southern?" Obviously, it's not geographically in the south, but is it truly culturally southern, like Virginia or Tennessee? I've never thought of NY as being southern in any way.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,804 times
I've posted these maps before, but since people don't read entire threads before they post, I will do so again. Parts of West Virginia might seem very similiar to Ohio and Pennsylvania to some people, but West Virginia is not like them generally, there are too many differences. This is the 2000 US Census map showing Ancestry combined with the Telsur study from the Univ. of PA (red line) of Southern Dialect. The second map is religion, red is Baptist, green is Methodist, and light blue is Catholic. There is also the recent PEW Religion survey,

U.S. Religion Map and Religious Populations - U.S. Religious Landscape Study - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

West Virginia is 36% Evangelical Christian, and is third only to Mississippi and Alabama in numbers of people who believe the Bible is literally true.

Is Southern Ohio considered part of the south?-usancestry-2000.jpg

Is Southern Ohio considered part of the south?-religionmap2.jpg

The Ohio River and the Mason-Dixon line seem to be holding up despite numerous beatings.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post

Wonderful West Virginia
Marietta, I thought you might enjoy this image, it is a daguerreotype of the Henderson boys, sons of George Henderson of Henderson Hall. I bought the original last year as part of my collection of pre-war West Virginia photographs.

Is Southern Ohio considered part of the south?-henderson.jpg

Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM

Okay more came to me. For some reason this really bugs me.

Ohio has been called Mid-Western, North Eastern and the "Old Northwest". Note NORTH in northwest.

What is with this trend of everybody wanting to be a southerner?

Ohio is YANKEE. You can be a Yankee and have southern qualities. You can be a Yankee and have southern ideals. Just because you are from the north does not make you a Yankee stereotype.

Not everybody from the north is a New-Englander, or an Urbanite, or even like an upper Mid-westerner. Not everybody in the north is a wealthy stick in the mud. Why all the shame around being from the north?

Just because you are similar to southerners does not make you a southerner. Born and raised Ohio? You're a Yankee.

Just like the opposite. A lot of people in Baton Rouge are very Yankee in personality and even speech. A lot of them I know personally, they were born and raised in Louisiana.

Now, they have Yankee accents and ideals. Are they Yankees? No. They are still southerners.

Florida may be populated by people from the north, but it's still a southern state.

Michigan has a lot of families from the south a generation or two back. Michigan is still a northern state.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

There is no shame in being proud of who you are or where you came from. Stop trying so hard to be something else! Stop trying to separate yourself from where you live!

If you were born and raised in Ohio, you are from the north. You are a northerner. You are not a southerner. Ohio is in the north.

You might be from Virginia and live in Ohio. You would be a southerner, but Ohio would not be southern.

Maybe your parents are southerners but you were born and raised in Ohio. You, yourself, would be a native northerner.

Let's say you speak with a Spanish accent and eat Spanish food but you were born and raised in Canada. Are you Spanish? No, you're Canadian. Are you a Canadian with great similarities to the Spanish? Yeah. And that's cool.

Does this make sense to you?

And like I stated above, the only real big difference between southern Ohio and say, Appalachian PA/NY is the accent. If you go and stay out in those hills I think you'd see it.

I even know where you can find Confederate flags flying in NY! No joke!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Is part of NY really "southern?" Obviously, it's not geographically in the south, but is it truly culturally southern, like Virginia or Tennessee? I've never thought of NY as being southern in any way.
It has similarities to the upper south in the Appalachian region (obviously referring only to the sub-region called "Appalachia". Let's not forget that the Appalachians actually run all the way into Canada).

You'll find country hill-folk, you'll see bluegrass festivals, you'll see a lot of Nascar love, you'll find good country food, and you'll even hear some southern dialect such as "yall".

People focus waaaaaaaay too much on the NYC, Buffalo stereotypes of NY.

New York isn't southern. But you can find qualities there that are usually said to be exclusively southern.

Last edited by CookieSkoon; 12-09-2010 at 11:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio