Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 PM

52 posts, read 122,257 times

Advertisements

This fall I will be finishing my last semester of college and I am somewhat considering relocating to OKC because my fiance has relatives in the area and she want to attend U of O because of an allied health program at the health center. But I am concerned about the tornados. I was wondering are basements and storm shelters abundant and since we plan to rent an apartment in the city I was wondering do the apartments usually have storm shelters or something to that is safe. I know to you natives this may seem like a dumb question but it is something I am very concerned with since this is potentially a place we may be moving. I would ask her but she has never lived in Oklahoma and her relatives don't seem to worry about tornados so I was wondering can someone give me the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 AM

13 posts, read 38,299 times
Default I don't live there

but have visited several times, and there must be some procedure for protection from severe storms. I think the percieved threat is greater than the actual one. Personally, I would not go to a basement or shelter, because then you miss all the excitement. If something like that's gonna happen, be brave and take pics of the whole thing. I don't think the threat is worth worrying about, it just doesn't happen that often...

Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 AM

533 posts, read 1,711,147 times
I live in Moore and there are no public shelters. I think I read that Norman made some very limited space available. I am unaware of any widely available public shelters in Oklahoma City. There is a page on the OKC web site:
OKC tornado safety

Usually it is entirely an individual responsibility and everyone makes the best plan they can for themselves. Sometimes that means a neighbor's shelter but more often it is somewhere inside the home. The two exceptions are house trailers and being in a car. Then it is pretty important to find better shelter.

It is one of those things that we've learned to really respect but we also don't allow the possibility to disrupt our lives. Tornadoes usually are very narrow in path, brief in duration, and relatively low power. On the other hand we all remember May 3rd 1999, too, and act accordingly.

Advance warning, which you will find in great abundance here, is the most important factor in staying safe. It is pretty easy to mitigate concern about tornadoes through personal research and education.

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy Oklahoma City. The area around the medical center is really becoming such a splendid area - makes me wish I were younger and could live in that area for a while.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:22 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
I don't really worry about tornadoes that much. I have lived in OK for almost 50 years and I have only seen two and they were small ones.

But, I know some people are really worried and want to go to a shelter at the first black cloud. If you think you are that way, you could find an apartment around a big hospital. They all have basements and of course are open 24 hours a day. Many churches and schools have shelter areas, and they are open if the storm is really big. You don't want to drive a long way in severe weather, so you can, if you look, find a place that is near a shelter. Big office buildings often have good shelter areas, but might be closed if after regular hours.

Last edited by peggydavis; 07-06-2007 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 07-06-2007, 02:19 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
After some thought, maybe you should consider living in Harrah, OK. It is in eastern OK County, and convenient to the OU Medical School. I used to live there, and they have a very large storm shelter at an elementary school close to some apartments. It must hold 200 people. There are NO DOGS allowed, because the last big tornado people brought big dogs in and they caused quite a bit of trouble. They have another large shelter that opens in the Baptist church, and another in the football stadium. Harrah is a nice little town, pretty clean and low crime.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:48 PM

52 posts, read 219,300 times
I was concerned about this before I moved here a little over a year ago. After being here for the storm season of 06 and most of 07 now I have very little concern for the possibilty of being "hit" by a Tornado. The advance warning system here is exceptional from my experience. It amazes me how accurate they are with pinpointing where the tornado is and where it is going. When the sirens go off here they mean business they don't sound them unless they want you somewhere safe. Sirens are in abundance here and many are solar powered so they WILL go off.

I would suggest purchasing a NOAA weather radio with SAME technology. This will give you the ability to program an alarm for any weather emergencies in your county. These are nice for the ones that sneak in late at night and you might not hear the sirens.

OKC is a very progressive city in the last ten years and reminds me alot of Indianapolis 15-20 years ago. It will never be a cultural mecca by any standards but the unique history that is Oklahoma and what has been accomplished with the MAPS program already and the fact that it looks as though there will be further MAPS programs the city can only get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City