Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:11 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
Let me clarify by pro-family I am not talking about the divorce as much as I am talking about the cities strong promotion of the nuclear family and all that it has to offer.
You're kidding right? You can't just ignore the high divorce and single motherhood rate in the city and while you promote the nuclear family! A blended family and a family without one parent (not lost to death) are not what I consider a nuclear family. It's essentially serial polygamy. Turning a blind eye to divorce and out-of-wedlock births makes a mockery of the term pro-family. All it tells me is that you have a city that is the most hypocritical.

Your basic notion of family values is this: "Family values is everything my family and I do, and those are the things that should be promoted by the state; but if I get divorced, well everyone is a sinner and nobody is perfect, don't judge me."

It's all so very convenient.

Last edited by Guineas; 01-26-2014 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
I would rather live in a strong Christian state with wholesome family values.
Again, "wholesome family values" where the divorce rate is so incredibly high, where meth and prescription drug abuse is rampant? Where domestic violence and incidents of abuse and neglect towards kids and elders is also rampant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Conservatism has nothing to do with being pro-family (especially because conservatives tend to want to end social programs to benefit families and more education funding...
Well, the problem there is that the people calling themselves "conservatives" aren't actual conservatives. The Republican Party abandoned conservative principles several decades ago. What we have now instead is neo-con social conservatives. Just the opposite of true conservatives.

A real conservative would never, never ever endorse huge invasive nanny-state, Big Brother, big government intervention with regards to such things as abortion/reproductive choice or enacting systematic discrimination and bigotry as in preventing same sex marriage.

Endorsing such things is the exact opposite of conservativism.

Besides, if you look at voting stats, even predominantly red, Baptist Oklahoma votes around one-third blue, with more blue every election cycle. In the metro areas it's closer to 40%.

Not that I consider that a good thing necessarily, since I dislike and distrust Democrats every single bit as much as I do Republicans. I'll never vote for anyone from either of those parties for any national office, and no reasonable person should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
Conservatives are for the traditional family...
But they support government intervention and intrusion into some of the most personal and individual aspects of the lives of citizens which is in no way an actual conservative principle.

Quote:
Conservatives are for reducing handouts and favor hard work and capitalistic society.
Unless they are talking about corporate welfare and huge bonuses and tax breaks to oil companies, the wealthiest people, etc.

If a reasonable person should have learned anything from the politics of the past 40 years or so, it's that Republicans are every bit, 100% as irresponsible and incompetent with money and resources as the Democrats, and every bit as corrupt. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply either ignorant or deluded, or they are a hypocritical partisan hack.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,240 times
I'm pretty sure "johnspecial" is just a troll who is saying idiotic things to make OK look bad. He hasn't used any evidence in anything he's talked about on this forum.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Well, the problem there is that the people calling themselves "conservatives" aren't actual conservatives. The Republican Party abandoned conservative principles several decades ago. What we have now instead is neo-con social conservatives. Just the opposite of true conservatives.

A real conservative would never, never ever endorse huge invasive nanny-state, Big Brother, big government intervention with regards to such things as abortion/reproductive choice or enacting systematic discrimination and bigotry as in preventing same sex marriage.

Endorsing such things is the exact opposite of conservativism.

Besides, if you look at voting stats, even predominantly red, Baptist Oklahoma votes around one-third blue, with more blue every election cycle. In the metro areas it's closer to 40%.

Not that I consider that a good thing necessarily, since I dislike and distrust Democrats every single bit as much as I do Republicans. I'll never vote for anyone from either of those parties for any national office, and no reasonable person should.
I'm going by what he identified himself to be. Personally, I would consider johnspecial to be part of the religious right. He's a fundamentalist/extremist based on how he presents himself on this forum.

The Republican party is going to have problems in 2016 (and maybe this year too) if they can't find a way to mend this rift that has grown more recently (moderates, social liberals/fiscal conservatives, religious right, Tea Party, etc.). I see a lot of nostalgia for and fixation on Ronald Reagan in recent years, who would also lose an election using the same platform as he did in the 80s, because the Republican party has changed. Likewise, this Libertarian thing seems good on paper, but awful in practice. I would consider myself to be more like them, but the people running as Libertarians seem to preach the exact opposite of what their party stands for.

I think that red/blue dichotomy is highly inaccurate. I've heard Detroit called "the most liberal" city because its voting record is blue. However, I don't think that makes it liberal. San Francisco is far more liberal than Detroit. A good example is that the black community typically votes Democrat, though isn't generally accepting of gay rights. The 2008 election in California was a good example of that. Obama managed to get a lot of the black community out to vote, but that also really helped Prop. 8 to pass. Just because parts of Oklahoma vote blue doesn't make them liberal.

Beyond this liberal/conservative thing, I would say Oklahoma is just generally stagnant as opposed to progressive. I hate when people say progressive is equal to liberal, because they are different. In general, I would say nowhere in Oklahoma is very progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I'm pretty sure "johnspecial" is just a troll who is saying idiotic things to make OK look bad. He hasn't used any evidence in anything he's talked about on this forum.
I'm inclined to agree, especially if you look at his posting history in other threads.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If Oklahoma has such strong, wholesome, Christian values, why didn't Oklahoma City succeed in getting "The Tin Drum" movie banned and Tulsa get Penthouse magazine banned?
Doh! Caught again, red-handed.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I'm going by what he identified himself to be. Personally, I would consider johnspecial to be part of the religious right. He's a fundamentalist/extremist based on how he presents himself on this forum.

The Republican party is going to have problems in 2016 (and maybe this year too) if they can't find a way to mend this rift that has grown more recently (moderates, social liberals/fiscal conservatives, religious right, Tea Party, etc.). I see a lot of nostalgia for and fixation on Ronald Reagan in recent years, who would also lose an election using the same platform as he did in the 80s, because the Republican party has changed. Likewise, this Libertarian thing seems good on paper, but awful in practice. I would consider myself to be more like them, but the people running as Libertarians seem to preach the exact opposite of what their party stands for.

I think that red/blue dichotomy is highly inaccurate. I've heard Detroit called "the most liberal" city because its voting record is blue. However, I don't think that makes it liberal. San Francisco is far more liberal than Detroit. A good example is that the black community typically votes Democrat, though isn't generally accepting of gay rights. The 2008 election in California was a good example of that. Obama managed to get a lot of the black community out to vote, but that also really helped Prop. 8 to pass. Just because parts of Oklahoma vote blue doesn't make them liberal.

Beyond this liberal/conservative thing, I would say Oklahoma is just generally stagnant as opposed to progressive. I hate when people say progressive is equal to liberal, because they are different. In general, I would say nowhere in Oklahoma is very progressive.

I'm inclined to agree, especially if you look at his posting history in other threads.
To the bold, quite correct.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,240 times
if you have a culture that cares more about promoting religion than education you are going to have some serious problems when it comes to critical thinking and progress

Last edited by tkx7; 01-26-2014 at 09:06 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
if you have a culture that cares more about promoting religion than education you are going to have some serious problems when it comes to critical thinking and progress
lol. "Critical thinking". The silly liberal buzzword. I laugh every time I see or hear it. Parrots.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 PM

60 posts, read 105,756 times
Quote:
Maybe so. There is some truth in what he says but it isn't as extreme or as black and white as he presents it. Oklahoma City is more family oriented, religious, and conservative than virtually any city its size in the nation, but I would say only a small minority are as extreme, rude, and as cold-hearted as he is. If he isn't a troll it wouldn't surprise me if he is a member of Windsor Hills Baptist Church, an OKC church that recently landed itself on the Southern Poverty Law Center's list of hate groups.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:50 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
to be truthful I don't even think he lives in Oklahoma. Just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City