Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 04:20 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,616,076 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake City Can Be Progressive And Religious At The Same Time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 06:00 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,462,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's been awhile since I was in Salt Lake City, but that mountain looks like it's part of the Alps.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:52 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,616,076 times
Originally Posted by Howest2008

Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
It's been awhile since I was in Salt Lake City, but that mountain looks like it's part of the Alps.
Isn't that crazy how they made it appear so much larger and nearer to the Central Business District
of Salt Lake City...?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM

778 posts, read 2,325,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
There is a lot of speculation about the future of OKC- it is becoming increasingly more vibrant. Since Oklahoma isnt exactly known to be the most artsy/music/progressive state, more people from surrounding towns are moving to OKC to find these things. From what I have been told there seems to be increasingly more emphasis on education and less on religion in OKC. Do you envision an ongoing trend of this nature in the future?
Totally unsurprised that a lot of the negative nancies that hang out on this board for whatever reason would be the first to respond. There is definitely a lot of great things going on in OKC and it is indeed growing very fast. I recently relocated but still own my condo as an investment property. I was very shocked at the number of out of staters who inquired about my property. Shows there's still quite a bit of in-migration coming into the city. As of last year OKC was 7th out of the top 50 metros in population growth, if that tells you anything.

With that in mind, is OKC the next Austin? Likely not, and I would be glad if it isn't. OKC has gotten some good press lately (the Mayor was on Meet the Press this weekend) but we are not on the recieving end of never ending hype like Austin, although given how much trouble they are having down there with traffic and affordablity, I kinda like how we fly under the radar.

OKC is no Nashville or Santa Fe, but there is a surprisingly vibrant arts scene here. The city politics are thankfully much more moderate than the state, but by big city standards it still leans right. Its completely silly, but I think the biggest check on any out of control growth is the rather violent climate in OKC. So many people think living in OK means certain death from some tornado. Of course these same people will then go live in a hurricane zone or fault line...go figure. But it is what it is.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 PM

423 posts, read 1,932,741 times
Granted I said Austin just to grab some attention- but my point still stands. There's a lot of revitalization in OKC right now, with a pretty progressive comprehensive plan that includes bike trails, sidewalks, town centers, art walks, parks- things of that nature. I feel like more hipsters will be coming to gentrify OKC like they currently are- it should be interesting over the next few years. I'm hoping OKC can be a cornerstone for education and culture in the midwest.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,194,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Totally unsurprised that a lot of the negative nancies that hang out on this board for whatever reason would be the first to respond. There is definitely a lot of great things going on in OKC and it is indeed growing very fast. I recently relocated but still own my condo as an investment property. I was very shocked at the number of out of staters who inquired about my property. Shows there's still quite a bit of in-migration coming into the city. As of last year OKC was 7th out of the top 50 metros in population growth, if that tells you anything.
Very fast is, again, relative. That 7th is highly misleading too. You're probably using a percentage, not a numeric value. If a town had 1 person in 2013 and 10 people in 2014, that would be a 900% increase in population, which looks far more impressive than it actually is. Compared to larger areas, OKC has a smaller base number, which skews the percentage and makes it look misleadingly high. It appears that between 2010 and 2013, the OKC area has grown by 66,690 people (5.32%). In contrast, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco, Phoenix, Riverside and Seattle are eleven metros that grew by a smaller percentage than OKC, but a larger actual value of new residents. I actually stopped at eleven, but looking down the list I can see quite a few other cities outpacing OKC despite lower percentages. That covers the top 15 largest metros, excluding Detroit and three cities growing by a larger percentage. That example you provided also doesn't "show" anything. It's strictly apocryphal.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,717,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Granted I said Austin just to grab some attention- but my point still stands. There's a lot of revitalization in OKC right now, with a pretty progressive comprehensive plan that includes bike trails, sidewalks, town centers, art walks, parks- things of that nature. I feel like more hipsters will be coming to gentrify OKC like they currently are- it should be interesting over the next few years. I'm hoping OKC can be a cornerstone for education and culture in the midwest.

They just say that stuff to make people feel good. Where are they building any bike trails or sidewalks outside of the very small downtown area? Nowhere, that's where. The vast majority of OKC isn't downtown. I'd say that area takes up less then 1/200 of OKC's overall size. Most OKC citizens don't venture downtown or have their lives revolve around it. Also, OKC has done nothing to stop the growth of the illegal alien culture and it's associated violent crime that has taken over the SW 29th/Capitol Hill area. That area is expanding northward towards downtown.

Art walks? Good grief that's just what they need to spend their tax dollars on. They have a bus system that may or may not show up on time if at all. Ever seen a covered bus stop outside of the downtown area? Yep, lots of fun standing next to the bus stop sign in 105 degree weather waiting and waiting and waiting.

OKC has so many problems that they fail to address and instead they throw up smoke and mirrors with a man made whitewater canal course that is only expected to come in at $13,000,000 over budget and they haven't even started building the thing. That money would pay for a lot covered bus stops, running busess and sidewalks.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 AM

778 posts, read 2,325,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Very fast is, again, relative. That 7th is highly misleading too. You're probably using a percentage, not a numeric value. If a town had 1 person in 2013 and 10 people in 2014, that would be a 900% increase in population, which looks far more impressive than it actually is. Compared to larger areas, OKC has a smaller base number, which skews the percentage and makes it look misleadingly high. It appears that between 2010 and 2013, the OKC area has grown by 66,690 people (5.32%). In contrast, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco, Phoenix, Riverside and Seattle are eleven metros that grew by a smaller percentage than OKC, but a larger actual value of new residents. I actually stopped at eleven, but looking down the list I can see quite a few other cities outpacing OKC despite lower percentages. That covers the top 15 largest metros, excluding Detroit and three cities growing by a larger percentage. That example you provided also doesn't "show" anything. It's strictly apocryphal.
I'm sorry but I'm completely confused by this. Percentages are a pretty much accepted way to measure these things...most things actually. Your base number argument works both ways. And the small town example would hold more water if I had not said "top 50 metros." There's something like 370 MSA's in this country so I think its pretty apples to apples. Here is a link to what I was referring to: Oklahoma City ranked 7th-fastest-growing metro area in country | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
They just say that stuff to make people feel good. Where are they building any bike trails or sidewalks outside of the very small downtown area? Nowhere, that's where. The vast majority of OKC isn't downtown. I'd say that area takes up less then 1/200 of OKC's overall size. Most OKC citizens don't venture downtown or have their lives revolve around it. Also, OKC has done nothing to stop the growth of the illegal alien culture and it's associated violent crime that has taken over the SW 29th/Capitol Hill area. That area is expanding northward towards downtown.

Art walks? Good grief that's just what they need to spend their tax dollars on.
The vast majority of the new trails going in are actually going outside of downtown. And there are no art walks paid by taxes. Since you seemed to be really uniformed on what MAPs 3 entails, I would suggest reading the information for yourself. Here is a link:
City of Oklahoma City | Public Information & Marketing

Old 09-09-2014, 06:26 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,194,119 times
[quote=#1soonerfan;36426725]I'm sorry but I'm completely confused by this. Percentages are a pretty much accepted way to measure these things...most things actually. Your base number argument works both ways. And the small town example would hold more water if I had not said "top 50 metros." There's something like 370 MSA's in this country so I think its pretty apples to apples. Here is a link to what I was referring to: Oklahoma City ranked 7th-fastest-growing metro area in country | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com [quote]

What's so confusing? You're referencing a misleadingly high number. The reality is that OKC just isn't growing enough to catch up to many cities. If the number of people remains steady, that percentage will decrease because the base number (people who live here) will be larger in relation to the new residents. You didn't mention shrinking towns and counties in rural parts of Oklahoma (many of them moving to OKC). Quite in fact, the majority of the "transplants" I've met since coming here are just from small towns outside the area. It's rare I meet someone who has moved here from out of state. The majority of the few I have met from out of state come from neighboring states. Still, their number pales in comparison to people just moving from a small town to a larger small town. Those who do move from more far-flung (and expensive) cities say they like the lower cost of living. But... did you ever once consider what that means if a lot of people are coming for that reason?

Why did you feel the need to post a link when it just affirms my argument that you used a misleading percentage? And why did you feel the need to mention 370 MSAs (when the real designation is 381) that are as small as 54,000 people? It really isn't apples to apples when one number makes OKC seem more desirable than it is. This notion is laughable at best. It's growing fast but corporations are slow to expand here? It's growing fast but traffic seems no better or worse than when I moved here a few years ago? It's growing fast but they keep planning this town like a bloated suburb and aren't improving transportation? It's growing fast but land values aren't skyrocketing as they did in other states that genuinely grew fast?

Last edited by dvxhd; 09-09-2014 at 06:59 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 07:42 PM

241 posts, read 432,645 times
OKC is truly about to take off. Just go to OKCTalk and see what is going on. It's incredible! I'm moving to LA and I honestly want to stick around for a few more years to witness this transition.

I know more people who are moving here and it seems almost everyday I deal with multiple people who are moving here.

This city is about to reach a boom that would resemble Austin, yes, I'd agree with that.

Will OKC become the next Austin? No! Nor does it need to be. It will just be OKC transformed and even though I get what the op was hinting at, I still would venture to say OKC needs to go its own way.

Austin is lightyears ahead of OKC at this point, but what is going on is nothing compared to what is going to be announced here over the next 5 years. After that, what's to be announced will truly be amazing.

Every city has its own unique history and OKC is no exception.

The only fears I have at this point that could potentially be catastrophic for OKC is an oil bust or a government shutdown of Tinker. Right now, the economic juggernauts of OKC are the two entities that could have devastating effects that could seriously hinder development here until we diversify our economy which is happening right now.

Millions of new square feet of warehouse space, new aeronautic industries, new high-tech growth, new tourist venues, skyscraper and spec class a office space, recreational activities, new mixed-use developments, mass transit, etc... all things that are beginning to take off here that will help keep us strong in the event that Tinker goes down or we have an oil bust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City