Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 10,347 times

Advertisements

Next summer I plan to relocate my family from a suburb in southeast Phoenix to Oklahoma City. The question I wish to pose to this forum has to do with what are people like in Edmond vs. Yukon vs. Norman?

1. Which city are the people more likely to be open and welcoming to someone who isn't from the area?

2. Which city has people that are more neighborly, authentic, happy, sincere, willing to help each other out, more likely to get to know their neighbors, have friends over for dinner, etc.

3. Which location are people more friendly and kind to each other, where basic courtesies have not been forgotten or lost?

The primary reason for our move has to do with what I've termed the phrase "cordial indifference", meaning people are nice, but not willing to put in the time to build community or deep friendships. There is no sense of community here, everyone seems to keep to themselves and hole up in their houses. Seeing groups of friends out for dinner is practically non-existent, and dinner at a friend's house you'll practically never see. Friends communicate almost exclusively through Facebook or texting, and it seems real life relationships and spending time with people socially are not a priority. What we've gathered about your area is that these kind of things do exist, and people are more likely to make time for relationships with friends & neighbors. Our only question at this point is, in which location are these things more in abundance.

Here's what we do know: Edmond is a little more exclusive, but people that live there don't perceive it as such. We know the schools in both places are good and are definitely taking that into consideration. We know Edmond is more incorporated and larger in population (85,000 vs. 25,000) and land-size. We have always been city dwellers but are interested in possibly changing to a smaller town if it makes sense.

Last edited by OKC_Bound; 12-16-2014 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: added a city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC_Bound View Post
Next summer I plan to relocate my family from a suburb in southeast Phoenix to Oklahoma City. The question I wish to pose to this forum has to do with what are people like in Edmond vs. Yukon?

1. Which city are the people more likely to be open and welcoming to someone who isn't from the area?

2. Which city has people that are more neighborly, authentic, happy, sincere, willing to help each other out, more likely to get to know their neighbors, have friends over for dinner, etc.

3. Which location are people more friendly and kind to each other, where basic courtesies have not been forgotten or lost?

The primary reason for our move has to do with what I've termed the phrase "cordial indifference", meaning people are nice, but not willing to put in the time to build community or deep friendships. There is no sense of community here, everyone seems to keep to themselves and hole up in their houses. Seeing groups of friends out for dinner is practically non-existent, and dinner at a friend's house you'll practically never see. Friends communicate almost exclusively through Facebook or texting, and it seems real life relationships and spending time with people socially are not a priority. What we've gathered about your area is that these kind of things do exist, and people are more likely to make time for relationships with friends & neighbors. Our only question at this point is, in which location are these things more in abundance.

Here's what we do know: Edmond is a little more exclusive, but people that live there don't perceive it as such. We know the schools in both places are good and are definitely taking that into consideration. We know Edmond is more incorporated and larger in population (85,000 vs. 25,000) and land-size. We have always been city dwellers but are interested in possibly changing to a smaller town if it makes sense.
Edmond is going to be more white collar and yuppyish by quite a bit. Yukon is going to be more working class.

In Phoenix, Edmond would be Chandler/Gilbert and Yukon would be Glendale, although the two Oklahoma towns have a lot more character than the Phoenix towns due to their history as a established small towns before becoming suburbs.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 AM

78 posts, read 121,048 times
Quote:
Next summer I plan to relocate my family from a suburb in southeast Phoenix to Oklahoma City. The question I wish to pose to this forum has to do with what are people like in Edmond vs. Yukon vs. Norman?

Just my personal opinion.....I would avoid Edmond. I just don't like it. Norman has pockets of town that are on some levels very similar to Edmond, but overall I would say it's an area I would be more likely to live in. I haven't been to Yukon in a while but the Yukon/Mustang area use to have a more rural town vibe to it. That is in contrast to Edmond which is the rich white suburb that sprang to life in the 80s/90s.

I think you would have a better social interaction experience with Yukon out of the three, but I would definitely make a visit there just to better understand the different environments of the 3.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:32 PM

241 posts, read 431,812 times
So you can consider me biased because I live on Coltrane and Covell(Edmond), but I would suggest Edmond. However, it entirely depends on your taste. Do you like Dallas? If not, than Edmond is probably not for you. I say in the sense of the type of people that live in Edmond. Edmond is becoming more and more diverse and UCO has a huge range of international students. The cops are not as bad as they are made out to be, and they are building a new public safety center that dwarfs downtown(beautiful building but damn).

Downtown is having a few new developments coming online. There is talk of a commuter rail station, future performing arts center, and the downtown as a whole completely changing with the new downtown master plan coming into play. UCO is also expanding and a few new developments are happening around the city(nothing major). Covell and Coltrane is the new site of a city conference center and hotel. They are speculating on a new upscale 'Warren type' movie theater with an upscale bar and lounge, potential lifestyle center, and big box retail, but all that's come out of it so far is a McDonald's, Braum's, and an unnamed convenience store. Color me skeptical on what's 'planned' for the area. Oh, there is also a pretty nice sports complex being built there as well(Home | Summit Sports Complex).

Edmond has a really nice trails system that is about to get even better with the Arcadia trails(The Arcadia Lake Trail |). Pretty good parks system. They got their first splash pad this year.

The roads for the most part are low speed(mainly 40-35MPH) regular, plain Jane, four lanes, undivided, asphalt roads. The new ones being built however(ala Covell and Kelly) are becoming four lane divided w/ 12ft. sidewalks on each side, cement, lights, landscaped median, which is nice. Congestion is starting to become an issue in Edmond. It isn't like major city congestion, but it is getting bad none-the-less. A new road specific bond package is being considered. I also suspect with fast pace growth happening in NW OKC, it is only a matter of time before a new highway is announced to go along Waterloo and Portland. I would assume an announcement will come in 5-10 years.

This is NW OKC, but this is why I think that.

ODOT awards $34M contract for State Highway 74 widening - The Edmond Sun: News

Arcadia lake is starting to become a really nice recreational destination. Talk of developing part of it is underway, similar to the development of part of Lake Hefner. The city is also looking at redesigning its service roads adjacent to I-35.

East Edmond is starting to take off. Granted a lot of it is tract housing, there are a few nice developments with large luxury homes or small, quality garden homes.

Grocery shopping is unfortunately not much better than the rest of OKC. We now have Uptown Grocery, which is one of the nicest grocers in the city but a step under Whole Foods(which is only in Nichols Hills for now). It is speculated Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and Reasor's(Tulsa based upscale grocer) is scouting properties in Edmond. Really your grocer options in Edmond are Walmart, Sam's, Homeland(a very sh!tty local brand that was made when Safeway left), Crest(a really nice local chain, but the one in Edmond is a bit older than their newer, nicer stores), Uptown(which is Covell and Kelly and they are owned and operated by Buy for Less). If you know anything about OKC grocery, you should know OKC is dominated by Walmart, and it isn't getting any better. A new Neighborhood Market is planned for Covell and Coltrane. A new Sam's opened a year or two ago near 15th and I-35.

The medical options are getting better. Some new class A medical space is opening up around a recently completed emergency hospital(Integris) and brand new rehabilitation center opened up this year(Mercy) on 15th and I-35. I suspect the area will emerge as a medical district with new construction on the horizon.

Edmond does have a great school system. A new future high school is planned east of I-35. Recently, Edmond Schools have been overshadowed by Deer Creek, but they're still good. A new bond package is in place to place a storm shelter in every single school.

Guthrie is also down the highway which is a beautiful small town that has less than desirable demographics, but I still go there all the time just to walk around its downtown. It's amazing. Very beautiful and quiet downtown.

All in all, Edmond is a nice city, imo, but it has a little ways to go. Things are underway that should help it. I myself am moving to L.A. in spring, but I have lived in Edmond my whole life except for the 6 years I lived in Dallas.

Now, I don't know much about Yukon, but here's what I will say. Yukon seems to have smaller town feel. I suspect that will change and fast. Tons of new development is happening in Yukon and really the west side of OKC. Traffic is already starting to get bad and they just widened I-40 clear past Yukon to El Reno. It's awesome. Yukon has good shopping options now and is close to the outlet mall. One of the negative things I've heard about Yukon is the lack of restaurants, but it seems like once, sometimes even multiple times a month, there is a new announcement regarding a restaurants coming.

Yukon seems to be building a lot of low quality tract housing, but that's not a problem if you can go custom.

I have no clue about the crime or schools, but I would suspect crime to be low and Yukon seems to have nice schools.

Here are a couple statistics to look at:

Pop. 87,004

Pop. growth 2010-2013: 6.9%

Land Area: 84.70 square miles

Pop. density: 961.2 per square mile

- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/40/4023200.html

Yukon:

Pop. 24,826

Pop. growth 2010-2013: 9.3%

Land area: 26.23 square miles

Pop. density: 865.9 per square mile

- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/40/4082950.html

Hope this helps.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:35 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Edmond sucks. Just another overcrowded suburb. Traffic is bad in the morning and evening. They overbuilt and overhyped way too much. If you want a small town feel that is still an easy commute to OKC then you need to look at Piedmont. Academically they are one of the top rated schools in the OKC metro area. Plus the town still doesn't have a stoplight or liqour store.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:26 AM

664 posts, read 2,093,865 times
Quote:

I would say as far as those questions are concerned that any of the towns you named would work. Oklahoma in general is a pretty nice, open, welcoming state. I have friends from all over the metro and none of them seem more kind, authentic, happy, sincere, willing than the others.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
I would say as far as those questions are concerned that any of the towns you named would work. Oklahoma in general is a pretty nice, open, welcoming state. I have friends from all over the metro and none of them seem more kind, authentic, happy, sincere, willing than the others.
So you live at Covell and Coltrane. Haven't you gotten the memo? Telling somebody where you live or where you are moving to is likely to cost you your identity.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:45 AM

664 posts, read 2,093,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So you live at Covell and Coltrane.
Good luck finding me over there...

Old 12-25-2014, 09:27 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,612 times
People are trashing Edmond pretty bad. It's not that bad. It has richer suburbia neighborhoods. A lot of the houses are new and look the same especially out west. It has a strong community vibe. Everything revolves around the church here. You'll be expected to join one if you want social life.

Norman has the university which spices things up. There are parts of Norman (west of 35) that look and feel like Edmond. Norman is a great city and continues to improve. It's a bit more diverse and liberal (not compared to outside of ok) if that means anything to you. I really enjoyed living there.

Yukon is more working class and rural but expanding quickly.

Overall, expect to join a Church for social life. I think it's risky moving for your reasons but all the power to you. I would consider other cities before OKC though. I hope having a job is part of the decision. Good luck.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Good luck finding me over there...
My sister lives there. I'll have her root you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City