Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you go without AC in OKC?
Yes--OKC summers are a dry heat, not too bad. 4 12.50%
No--OKC summers may not be as bad as Florida but still hot! 28 87.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 07:11 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,607,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
At my apartment in Mustang, I have not used AC this entire week, even though the heat index has reached 100, with the currently humid heat. (Dew points exceeded 70). Nights have been warm outside, lows are at 73 - 74. Not once did the AC kick on, though. I have drawn all the blinds, wear shorts and leggings inside, and the indoor temperature is constant at 74 degrees, without the AC kicking on.

I live on a first floor, East facing apartment. The overhang from the balcony above me provides shade.

So far, OKC weather has been a walk in the park. No problem sleeping during the warm nights, even with a blanket. If it gets warmer during the night, I'll just sleep without a blanket and leggings.
Well here is what I would do , make sure that my dwelling place have East and West facing front and back doors . I would install canopies over all doorways and windows , and I most certainly would may sure that tall trees were flanking all sides of my house. Doing all of those things listed would make the heat more bearable ( but still not bearable ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 AM

17,833 posts, read 13,750,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
The summer before I moved from OKC, there was a high pressure area that seemed permanently parked above the state, so every rain storm that might have brought relief from the heat was pushed either north or south of us. We had temperatures in excess of 95 degrees for six solid weeks, most of those days above 100. In the apartment where I lived, a bag of chocolates melted on my dining room table - with the A/C running. I flew to Las Vegas for a week to arrange housing and employment in advance of my move. It felt cooler - at 110 degrees.
You should have been here today. It was flat out cold this morning. Felt like October. Gonna be about 90 today but not that humid. Pretty nice for June.

I lived in Arizona for about a decade. I don't miss five months of daily 100 degrees all that much. Do miss the winters though. We can have Arizona type weather here but usually there are a few breaks during the summer here that you don't get very often there.

I'm sure Las Vegas is a little bit better than Arizona being a little further up, but still it's pretty rough for five months anywhere out there that isn't pretty high.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:09 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,976,604 times
I live in a first floor, East facing apartment, and I have not turned on the AC once so far this year! Indoor temps are staying at 76-78 even with the AC off!

Old 07-15-2020, 01:36 PM

24,663 posts, read 11,011,123 times
Stay downwind please.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,680,212 times
Quote:
I live in a first floor, East facing apartment, and I have not turned on the AC once so far this year! Indoor temps are staying at 76-78 even with the AC off!
Lots of luck with that lasting clear through August. August rivals July as the hottest month. It's been a somewhat cool summer. It's yet to top 100.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Lots of luck with that lasting clear through August. August rivals July as the hottest month. It's been a somewhat cool summer. It's yet to top 100.
Maybe on your side of OK.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:12 PM

30,205 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:

You must be getting some benefit from the other apartments who likely are blasting the AC all day long.

I have a garage / workshop behind my house. It is completely covered by trees all day long. Even with that the temperature inside eventually gets close to the outside temperature. So if its up in the 90's like it has been lately its in the upper 80's in the workshop by late afternoon.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:16 AM

This is the time of the year to keep an eye on family, friends and neighbors. Heat advisories for this week. Please make sure everyone including pets has plenty of water and food and shelter. Have some bottles in your cars.
We put the cooler with water on the front porch again. Mysteriously it is empty every evening but the cooler has not disappeared in five summers.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:53 AM

17,833 posts, read 13,750,003 times
Was hoping for a Mr. Jester air conditioning update.

But. This week is why Oklahoma summer weather is different than Arizona weather or Central Valley weather. This week we aren't supposed to break 90 degrees. Some years we get breaks from the relentless heat. Sometimes we don't. But this year we did.

I think it was 2002 when we only had about four days over 90 degrees all summer long. It was excessively rainy that summer. I thought we had turned into Oregon.

Last edited by eddie gein; 07-29-2020 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-29-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Was hoping for a Mr. Jester air conditioning update.

But. This week is why Oklahoma summer weather is different than Arizona weather or Central Valley weather. This week we aren't supposed to break 90 degrees. Some years we get breaks from the relentless heat. Sometimes we don't. But this year we did.

I think it was 2002 when we only had about four days over 90 degrees all summer long. It was excessively rainy that summer. I thought we had turned into Oregon.

Amazon delivers with paddle boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City