Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:15 PM

390 posts, read 907,267 times

Advertisements

my faves were Cattlemen's and Charlestons. I loved this historic atmosphere @ Cattlemen's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:56 AM

279 posts, read 1,014,198 times
I love Charleston on the NW Expressway by Incredible Pizza.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly81
"Yes, sir may I have another" These are the restaurants I consider to be the crème de la crème and the just plain super yummy eats in OKC. There not ranked or anything because I found that to hard to do.

Nice list, Kimberly. Of the one's you mentioned, some of my fav's & add'l comments:

Red Cup Coffeehouse, 3122 N. Classen Blvd. Funky atmosphere, veggie food - they also have cheap cookies/sweets and the coffee is excellent.

Gopuram, 4559 NW 23rd St - great Indian food, buffet for lunch and dinner. Really good spread.

Galileo Bar and Grill, 3009 Paseo , with outdoor patio seating - right in the arts district, good live music [small acts] and eclectic menu

Btw, I think Backdoor Coffee House closed down.

Here are some personal favorites I'll suggest:

Cimarron Steak House, 201 N Meridian Ave - If Cattleman's makes your wallet shudder, you can get good steaks here in a big, western saloon environment.

Someplace Else Deli, 2310 N Western Ave - Vegetarian/healthy and very tasty. Friendly service, very unique & original. Low-key.

Swadley's, 4000 N. Rockwell - I think they changed mgmt, but good ribs, sides, okra, etc.

La Luna, 409 W Reno Ave - Funky Mexican, fun environment. Just west of the Myriad gardens downtown. Quick, friendly & good.

There's also a hot-dog place downtown on Main St that sells chili dogs for about $1 apiece. The walls are covered with all the Sooner's games season/scores going back like 30 yrs. It's run by an old Greek guy and I think there's a sign out front that reads "Coney Island Hot Dogs Since 1929." Fun little dive.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 15,872 times
My hubby and I are definite food snobs and find that if there is a run down looking restaurant existing next to an Applebees or a Chilis then the food is usually fantastic, it has to be to stay open. Our favorites are:
Queen of Sheba
Lees Sandwhich shop (unlike anything we had ever had before and amazing)
Vans Pig Stand
Victorias Pasta shop in Norman
Chelinos (a small chain but we like the one in Bricktown)

Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 15,872 times
oh oh I almost forgot Zorbas and Cattlemens

also there is a place in Moore called Gourmet Pizza that is awesome

Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,676 times
i see several people mentioned cattlemans. it used to be good, not so much anymore.
couscous is a good place for mediterranean/moroccan. owners there are really nice, too.
if you want real asian go to little saigon. there are some awesome restaurants there.
for steaks red prime is a really good choice.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippy34 View Post
My hubby and I are definite food snobs and find that if there is a run down looking restaurant existing next to an Applebees or a Chilis then the food is usually fantastic, it has to be to stay open. Our favorites are:
Queen of Sheba
Vans Pig Stand
Victorias Pasta shop in Norman
Chelinos (a small chain but we like the one in Bricktown)
lees is awesome, and i think its pretty cool that we are 1 of only 5 that are outside of cali

Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 PM

334 posts, read 915,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippy34 View Post
Believe it or not, Lee's is actually a chain based out of Southern Ca. I was so happy when I saw the shop on Classen open up. It's a good tasty cure when I'm feeling homesick.

Now, the sandwiches they make are actually interpretations of vietnamese sandwiches called banh mi. Most likely there exists a more flavorful and authentic banh mi shop somewhere in town, but I haven't found it (nor have I really looked, I admit, so if you any of you know where to find good banh mi please tell!), but Lee's is reliable and a pretty darn cheap lunch.

If you still have room in your stomach after eating at Lee's and want to continue with the asian culinary theme, and it's a weekend morning or early afternoon, then head on down to Super Cao Nguyen super market on Military and 26th (near Classen and 26th) for a fresh coconut waffle! Just inside the entrance is a waffle-churro stand, where they cook up the waffles in front of you. You get em steaming hot, golden and crispy on the outside, sweet and coconutty (and green!) on the inside. They're pretty sweet and rich on their own, so no syrup or butter is required, and you eat them with your hands.

By the way, Cao Nguyen is a great supermarket, especially for Californian expats seeking things they took for granted in their old markets, but can't often find in OK supermarkets (good non-expired tofu, kimchi, familiar ramen brands, napa cabbage, sriracha sauce, and a wide variety of produce).

Last edited by J1ndo; 01-15-2009 at 09:11 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 AM

[quote=J1ndo;7018140]Believe it or not, Lee's is actually a chain based out of Southern Ca.

really??? i was sure someone posted that earlier. just a few up from the one u posted.
seriously though. what about the sandwich shop with the braums milk bottle on top? is that any good? another good place is the green house, same side as lees just a little farther south. dont know what its called. u been there?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM

334 posts, read 915,583 times
Ha, yeah, sorry, didn't see your post immediately above. Nope, haven't tried them yet. I keep meaning to, but when I get to the neighborhood I usually cop out and go with the known quantity (Lee's).

My only break from that rut is a place just a block or two south of Lee's (I forget the name) in a strange house-like building. They serve a fine bowl of pho there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City