Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:48 PM

49 posts, read 254,176 times

Advertisements

I grew up in OKC. Until about 7-8 years ago, you probably could call OKC a dump and that would be appropriate.

OKC has changed since then. The MAPS project has surpassed everyone's expectations. OKC now has a VIBRANT downtown area. You can take people there from out-of-town and show them a good time.

Quality of life is great. Lots to do. Bigtime college athletics are only 45 minutes away in the form of OSU and OU in Stillwater and Norman.

OKC really is a great place to live and is growing by leaps and bounds for the better. I've lived in NYC, Boston and Houston since leaving OKC and, given a choice, would live in OKC over NYC and Boston ANY DAY OF THE WEEK (not Houston though).

In summary, the "new" OKC is a great place and you can't go wrong living there, particularly if you're coming from a zoo like LA or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 01:49 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chianti View Post
I grew up in OKC. Until about 7-8 years ago, you probably could call OKC a dump and that would be appropriate.

OKC has changed since then. The MAPS project has surpassed everyone's expectations. OKC now has a VIBRANT downtown area. You can take people there from out-of-town and show them a good time.

Quality of life is great. Lots to do. Bigtime college athletics are only 45 minutes away in the form of OSU and OU in Stillwater and Norman.

OKC really is a great place to live and is growing by leaps and bounds for the better. I've lived in NYC, Boston and Houston since leaving OKC and, given a choice, would live in OKC over NYC and Boston ANY DAY OF THE WEEK (not Houston though).

In summary, the "new" OKC is a great place and you can't go wrong living there, particularly if you're coming from a zoo like LA or NYC.
I totally agree with your assessment of OkC. A decade ago many would have called it a dump. Now, with the MAPs project and a virtual re-invention of the city by the citizens and city fathers, OkC is prime turf that is attracting businesses, people, and entertainment galore. It will probably be next in line to get an NBA franchise due to the city's strong support for the Hornets. Myself, I prefer the Northeastern part of Oklahoma and Tulsa, if only for the geography, but OkC has had a far better vision over the years (especially the last 15 years) and you have to give the city credit for reinventing itself (which still isn't complete). I feel there are even much better things for OkC in the coming years. Hey, they're even filming a new tv series there, which premieres later this month. Kudos to OkC!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:08 PM

52 posts, read 219,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Hey, they're even filming a new tv series there, which premieres later this month. Kudos to OkC!
They are? What would that be?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_ View Post
They are? What would that be?
It's a TNT Drama called "Saving Grace." Happytown actually turned everyone on to this tidbit of info..

YouTube - TNT - Preview For Saving Grace

TNT- Saving Grace

It premieres July 23rd at 9 pm on TNT.

Holly Hunter stars as Grace Hanadarko, a tormented, fast-living Oklahoma City police detective who, despite being at the top of her field, takes self-destruction to new heights. After seeing tremendous tragedy in her life, both professionally and personally, Grace lives life hard and fast. She drinks too much, sleeps with the wrong men and defies authority. Grace has a tender side with her 22 nieces and nephews, but that is a side that most of the world doesn’t get to see. It all catches up with her one night when....

Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times
"Grace has a tender side with her 22 nieces and nephews"- LOL

Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
"Grace has a tender side with her 22 nieces and nephews"- LOL
Ya, that made me scratch my head as well... TWENTY-TWO!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Check out the names of the actors. They all have Oklahoma town names in them...its hilarious! But I feel confident the show will do great because of Holly Hunter she is such a great actress. Women love to watch a tough girl throw some punches and guys like to watch Holly! The director is from OKC so hopefully it will make OKC and the state look good.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM

52 posts, read 219,319 times
Looks "different" I'll give it a shot but I generally am tired of all the police stories seems...that is the only thing on TV anymore...

Old 07-12-2007, 11:46 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,886 times
Default First post to city-data

Greetings! I live in Piedmont, OK.. about 15 miles NW of OKC. In all honesty, my relationship with Oklahoma City is more of a love/hate relationship.

To get the stuff I don't like about the city is first and foremost, the crime. Now, I'll admit, it is worse (perhaps far worse in places like Miami&New Orleans), but the crime is definitely a problem, and it has been growing worse over the last couple of years. Lately, we've been having these random shootings where someone will just pull up next to you and just open fire on you. This has happened two or three times in the last few months, this is one way of "initiating" new gang members which is an age old trick in alot of places. The other thing I dislike about OKC is something that can't be helped, and many may disagree... the weather. Normally, the summers are excruciatingly hot and dry. I come from up near the Canadian border in Upper Michigan, I'm accustomed to snow and lots of it, I do miss the winters. Average snowfall here is a scant 8"/winter.. and this past winter was the first in many years when we barely eclipsed that. Thankfully... this summer, we've been unusually cool and wet... much to my liking. Severe weather is the most common dislike about here... the frequency of tornadoes, normally the highest in the nation... has not been a problem the last few years.

As far as education... this is another area that can use improvement... now I'll tell you, OKC has made some inroads here, but has a long way to go. Governor Henry is committed to continuing to strive on the excellence of our schools and he's doing a good job there... but they need to pay the teachers better and raise the standards more. The roads.... definitely not the best, especially in Canadian County, thats another thing I don't like about here. Lastly, the radio market is sorely lacking... I was in radio for over 12 years.. we need more diversity and a station that caters to the adult alternative formats and the local scene... I miss the stations I listen to the most that cater to the crowd with that special taste of the "gourmet" side of sound, like what you hear down in Austin or up in Minneapolis.

NOW WHAT I LIKE... I will try to be brief about this: I've been coming to OKC since the early 80's.. I've officially lived here since '96 with a couple years back in Michigan from '99-'01... I can tell you that Oklahoma City has come a long way... As was stated in earlier posts, the MAPS project has been a great success. Downtown is looking better than ever... you have many choices of things to do with the family. One of the best zoos in the nation is here The Oklahoma City Zoo There is also Whitewater Bay and Frontier City for family entertainment. Real estate prices have come down a little this year, not as much as other places though... comparing this market to others across the country... some of your best buys for the money are here when it comes to housing.

As far as the people...I have been to every state in this country... I feel that OKC is one of the more friendlier places around... and really, Oklahoma for that matter... and its not as biased against minorities or people with alternative lifestyles as it once was. Overall, yes, its still more conservative than not, but its not in your face conservative. There are alot of fairly progressive people here. One thing I'm very enthusiastic about is that there is alot of great music coming out of here... talent is oozing from OKC and it needs to be recognized... too bad we don't have a radio station that promotes the singer songwriter/adult alternative radio markets... as I said earlier, the radio market is not much to be desired. We do have some great shows that pass through here... one of my very favourite places is the Blue Door index the best singer songwriter club in the country... even better than most you'll find in Austin, TX.

As for dining out.... restaurants are very diverse, although you'll find either a Chinese or Mexican restaurant at almost every corner... some are very good, there are lots of other places that feature everything from barbeque to Indian, even some good Brazilian dining spots have crept up. I would have to rank OKC as better than average for restaurants... (hint: go early or late in the evening..and stay away when church lets out... lines to anything decent are typically half hour or more at just about any place during peak hours)

Health Care: This area has come a long way, I've been impressed with the health care for the most part... since the bombing back in '95 and the May 3rd'99 tornado... hospitals have been getting world wide attention here... all are average to well above average.

One last thing... the single scene is very much alive... and I dare say... some of the most gorgeous women you ever laid eyes on here... and it does seem that there is more women then men.... this may be the place to meet your match.

In summary: Oklahoma City is definitely not a bad place to live... you need to really research the neighbourhoods throughly, unfortunately, with the cheap cost of living... the criminal element is a problem but is not out of control... but you need to know where to move to...(stay away from the south side especially from I-240 north to I-40 and west of I-35). I live in Piedmont, northwest of the city and out in the country... where its very safe... and most residents around my area are VERY armed... and the thugs know it, so this area is nice and safe. OKC does have a way to go, but at the rate its going, if the energy boom continues along with the economy in general, I have high hopes for this place.

I'm here only for a few more years ontil my kids are out of school then its back up north for me... I just miss the north is my chief reason for leaving.
That is onless some cool radio station opens up here that plays REAL music... then I'll be beating down their door for a job... perhaps then I'll stay longer.

Good to be a part of this forum... hopefully I can be of help if you have questions... especially when it comes to real estate, weather or the entertainment scene

Rocky&family

Old 07-14-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Greetings! I live in Piedmont, OK.. about 15 miles NW of OKC. In all honesty, my relationship with Oklahoma City is more of a love/hate relationship.

To get the stuff I don't like about the city is first and foremost, the crime. Now, I'll admit, it is worse (perhaps far worse in places like Miami&New Orleans), but the crime is definitely a problem, and it has been growing worse over the last couple of years. Lately, we've been having these random shootings where someone will just pull up next to you and just open fire on you. This has happened two or three times in the last few months, this is one way of "initiating" new gang members which is an age old trick in alot of places. The other thing I dislike about OKC is something that can't be helped, and many may disagree... the weather. Normally, the summers are excruciatingly hot and dry. I come from up near the Canadian border in Upper Michigan, I'm accustomed to snow and lots of it, I do miss the winters. Average snowfall here is a scant 8"/winter.. and this past winter was the first in many years when we barely eclipsed that. Thankfully... this summer, we've been unusually cool and wet... much to my liking. Severe weather is the most common dislike about here... the frequency of tornadoes, normally the highest in the nation... has not been a problem the last few years.

As far as education... this is another area that can use improvement... now I'll tell you, OKC has made some inroads here, but has a long way to go. Governor Henry is committed to continuing to strive on the excellence of our schools and he's doing a good job there... but they need to pay the teachers better and raise the standards more. The roads.... definitely not the best, especially in Canadian County, thats another thing I don't like about here. Lastly, the radio market is sorely lacking... I was in radio for over 12 years.. we need more diversity and a station that caters to the adult alternative formats and the local scene... I miss the stations I listen to the most that cater to the crowd with that special taste of the "gourmet" side of sound, like what you hear down in Austin or up in Minneapolis.

NOW WHAT I LIKE... I will try to be brief about this: I've been coming to OKC since the early 80's.. I've officially lived here since '96 with a couple years back in Michigan from '99-'01... I can tell you that Oklahoma City has come a long way... As was stated in earlier posts, the MAPS project has been a great success. Downtown is looking better than ever... you have many choices of things to do with the family. One of the best zoos in the nation is here The Oklahoma City Zoo There is also Whitewater Bay and Frontier City for family entertainment. Real estate prices have come down a little this year, not as much as other places though... comparing this market to others across the country... some of your best buys for the money are here when it comes to housing.

As far as the people...I have been to every state in this country... I feel that OKC is one of the more friendlier places around... and really, Oklahoma for that matter... and its not as biased against minorities or people with alternative lifestyles as it once was. Overall, yes, its still more conservative than not, but its not in your face conservative. There are alot of fairly progressive people here. One thing I'm very enthusiastic about is that there is alot of great music coming out of here... talent is oozing from OKC and it needs to be recognized... too bad we don't have a radio station that promotes the singer songwriter/adult alternative radio markets... as I said earlier, the radio market is not much to be desired. We do have some great shows that pass through here... one of my very favourite places is the Blue Door index the best singer songwriter club in the country... even better than most you'll find in Austin, TX.

As for dining out.... restaurants are very diverse, although you'll find either a Chinese or Mexican restaurant at almost every corner... some are very good, there are lots of other places that feature everything from barbeque to Indian, even some good Brazilian dining spots have crept up. I would have to rank OKC as better than average for restaurants... (hint: go early or late in the evening..and stay away when church lets out... lines to anything decent are typically half hour or more at just about any place during peak hours)

Health Care: This area has come a long way, I've been impressed with the health care for the most part... since the bombing back in '95 and the May 3rd'99 tornado... hospitals have been getting world wide attention here... all are average to well above average.

One last thing... the single scene is very much alive... and I dare say... some of the most gorgeous women you ever laid eyes on here... and it does seem that there is more women then men.... this may be the place to meet your match.

In summary: Oklahoma City is definitely not a bad place to live... you need to really research the neighbourhoods throughly, unfortunately, with the cheap cost of living... the criminal element is a problem but is not out of control... but you need to know where to move to...(stay away from the south side especially from I-240 north to I-40 and west of I-35). I live in Piedmont, northwest of the city and out in the country... where its very safe... and most residents around my area are VERY armed... and the thugs know it, so this area is nice and safe. OKC does have a way to go, but at the rate its going, if the energy boom continues along with the economy in general, I have high hopes for this place.

I'm here only for a few more years ontil my kids are out of school then its back up north for me... I just miss the north is my chief reason for leaving.
That is onless some cool radio station opens up here that plays REAL music... then I'll be beating down their door for a job... perhaps then I'll stay longer.

Good to be a part of this forum... hopefully I can be of help if you have questions... especially when it comes to real estate, weather or the entertainment scene

Rocky&family
I BEG TO DIFFER:

I was confounded by your post because your opinion about OKC's crime rate doesn't match the statistics. Oklahoma City's crime index falls in the low to medium range compared to other major cities in the nation.
Here are some crime index stats: (my source is City Data's info pages)

OKC 653.7

Atlanta 861.5
Boston 596.5
Chicago 610
Cincinnati 790.7
Cleveland 830.7
Columbus 686.1
Kansas City 839.1
Dallas 753.9
Denver 574.3
Memphis 962.8
Minneapolis 769.9
Philadelphia 667
Phoenix 578.3
Seattle 593
Tulsa 711.3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City