Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
From what I have seen from the liberals I have known and heard about, many of them will be tolerant and open-minded until you disagree with on their politics and then they will call you everything in the book. They also have a blame America first attitude, they only support their right to free speech, they worship Obama, they hate the second amendment, and they support terrorists and illegal immigration.

You've been watching WAAAAYYYY too much Glen Beck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 PM

177 posts, read 314,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I wouldn't feel comfortable either living in your district, because, if I'm right, you're in or close to Rep. Sally Kern's district.
You're correct. I hadn't considered that perhaps the people here were maybe a little extreme. Have to say, the more tolerant Oklahomans do seem to be further north. I've met some lovely people from the Norman area too though. They are able to "agree to disagree" with some of my core values. I wouldn't suggest that anything I believe was 100% the best way. I'm always happy to find people who I can respect and can respect me for that.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,548,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Ducks View Post
Most of "us" Yankees are liberal. I don't understand why you would insult "us" (as I am a transplanted yank) in such a way. All it tells me is that you haven't had much experience with people from my homeland.

I've lived here for nine years. I have met some really nice people. I've also met some incredibly ignorant and rude people. If I turned around and called everyone from Oklahoma rude and ignorant based on 9 years experience it would not only be stereotyping an entire group of people, but ignoring the good people I have come across.

I have never felt comfortable or welcome in Oklahoma, and I can assure you that it's not because I have a crappy attitude. I've found a lot of people here to be very clique-y. Maybe I've just been unfortunate?
I lived on Cape Cod for 25 years. Hated every day of it. I was born and raised in the Netherlands so I'll raise you my brand of liberalism with yours. Not quite sure why this even came up.

Whatever comment I made about "yankees" referred to their attitude, not their political leanings. Compared to the Yankees I have met and known during my 25 years in the NorthEast I can truly say that I can count on 2 hands those who were pleasant, down to earth and non-arrogant. Here in Oklahoma, the few arrogant and unpleasant ones I meet tend to be yankees from either coasts. Just saying.

Those from the mid-west north to south I don't consider yankees, attitude wise.

Hate to break it to you, but most rural Okies I know are yellow dog Democrats.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 PM

177 posts, read 314,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I lived on Cape Cod for 25 years. Hated every day of it. I was born and raised in the Netherlands so I'll raise you my brand of liberalism with yours. Not quite sure why this even came up.

Whatever comment I made about "yankees" referred to their attitude, not their political leanings. Compared to the Yankees I have met and known during my 25 years in the NorthEast I can truly say that I can count on 2 hands those who were pleasant, down to earth and non-arrogant. Here in Oklahoma, the few arrogant and unpleasant ones I meet tend to be yankees from either coasts. Just saying.

Those from the mid-west north to south I don't consider yankees, attitude wise.

Hate to break it to you, but most rural Okies I know are yellow dog Democrats.
I honestly know nothing about what the Netherlands is like politically, and I understood you were referring to attitude. I wasn't questioning your liberalness. I really couldn't care less about it. It was just shocking that you would speak with such disdain for a group of people you have a common thread with - liberalism.

I'm not going to get too much further into it because it's obvious that you have a particularly low opinion of people from the North East. That's your right. I could understand you calling "yankees" arrogant - I cringe sometimes when I hear the way that people from up that way are willing to talk. But I've met a lot of very unpleasant people here. They're not arrogant at all. Like I said, it's like many people here belong to some exclusive club that you're not welcome to be a part of. I can't tell you how many times I've been given the cold shoulder because I don't believe the same thing someone else does, and I don't understand that at all. It's happened to me in mother's groups, in churches and in other settings. I could understand it if I were arrogant or facetious, but that's not the case.

And the people that I know that are democratic leaning ARE rural, but in Northern OK. I'm not sure why it was important for you to inform me of that.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialKate View Post
Thanks for the advice, Goodpasture. I plan on attending OU so perhaps I'll meet some like-minded people. If not, as you mentioned, we can start our own group!

Kate
You should join YDOK - Young Democrats of Oklahoma and Cleveland County Democrats (if you plan to live in Norman.) The two are great resources and have friendly faces who believe in the same things as you! I'm a member of YDOK. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:53 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
From what I have seen from the liberals I have known and heard about, many of them will be tolerant and open-minded until you disagree with on their politics and then they will call you everything in the book. They also have a blame America first attitude, they only support their right to free speech, they worship Obama, they hate the second amendment, and they support terrorists and illegal immigration.
Well, I do not "worship" anyone; not even Obama. I don't call people names, I don't blame America for anything. I LOVE my country, that's why I live here. I do support the right of free speech, but obviously you do too or else you wouldn't be on a forum site. I don't hate the second amendment I just see no reason for it - It allows a state to hold their own militia in the event of a tyrannic government (I don't think that has happened since the 1800-1900's.) And as far as "supporting" terrorists and illegal immigration I don't even know what to say about that. Who told you Dems support terrorists and illegal immigration?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialKate View Post
Is there such an animal in OKC? I know that the state is overwhelmingly conservative, but surely there must be some liberals or like-minded people/activities/clubs in the city. I am seriously contemplating a move to OKC to be closer to family; they are of the conservative persuasion so they don't really know of anything or anyone that would be my speed.

I am non-religious, gay-friendly, very socially liberal, democrat/progressive, volunteer-minded, love a good civil-rights protest, etc... I know I'm a lamb in the lions den (teasing!), but family is important to me, hence the move.

Advice? Suggestions? Thanks!

Kate
__________________________________________________ ______________

Wow! What a thread! and a little heated at times too! How funny (or maybe sad) that the two biggest things that can separate us from all the fruits that a true friendship can bring, is religion.. and politics. As a Bible believing, evangelical christian.. I go against the flow of many of those people and celebrate all each of us have in common and accept our differences.. period. No matter what the political differences are, no matter what the religious differences are.. and yes, even sexual orientation.. I just choose to love people regardless.. I may not personally condone of some folk do, but I love them regardless .. as long as they don't try to infringe on my right to practice what I believe .... 'nuff said about that.

As far as what your looking for Kate, I think you'll find enough progressive minded people here in OKC to satisfy your social life. I have promoted on a couple of different occasions the Paseo, an arts oriented community close to downtown OKC that may be just what your looking for. There is plenty to do there, I think the people for the most part are very cool and quite progressive.. it's relatively safe, there are parks nearby, and real estate prices are reasonable. Infact, not sure where your moving from (may have overlooked a couple of the posts along the way).. but OKC is one of the more affordable places to live in the USA. As always I can't say enough about the music scene here, very under rated in my opinion. Some amazing talent comes from Oklahoma.. and OKC in particular.

So Kate, I'd give it a shot, don't worry about some the blowhards you may find here on this forum or who you may meet in person, For the most part, if you have a good attitude, a good heart and show that you love people which I can see you do.. you'll have quite a fan club after a year or so. You may have almost won me over! I would recommend renting for a year before you buy just to make sure though. The best of blessings to you in your endeavours!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
__________________________________________________ ______________

Wow! What a thread! and a little heated at times too! How funny (or maybe sad) that the two biggest things that can separate us from all the fruits that a true friendship can bring, is religion.. and politics. As a Bible believing, evangelical christian.. I go against the flow of many of those people and celebrate all each of us have in common and accept our differences.. period. No matter what the political differences are, no matter what the religious differences are.. and yes, even sexual orientation.. I just choose to love people regardless.. I may not personally condone of some folk do, but I love them regardless .. as long as they don't try to infringe on my right to practice what I believe .... 'nuff said about that.

As far as what your looking for Kate, I think you'll find enough progressive minded people here in OKC to satisfy your social life. I have promoted on a couple of different occasions the Paseo, an arts oriented community close to downtown OKC that may be just what your looking for. There is plenty to do there, I think the people for the most part are very cool and quite progressive.. it's relatively safe, there are parks nearby, and real estate prices are reasonable. Infact, not sure where your moving from (may have overlooked a couple of the posts along the way).. but OKC is one of the more affordable places to live in the USA. As always I can't say enough about the music scene here, very under rated in my opinion. Some amazing talent comes from Oklahoma.. and OKC in particular.

So Kate, I'd give it a shot, don't worry about some the blowhards you may find here on this forum or who you may meet in person, For the most part, if you have a good attitude, a good heart and show that you love people which I can see you do.. you'll have quite a fan club after a year or so. You may have almost won me over! I would recommend renting for a year before you buy just to make sure though. The best of blessings to you in your endeavours!
>>>>>
As a Bible believing, evangelical christian.. I go against the flow of many of those people and celebrate all each of us have in common and accept our differences.. period. No matter what the political differences are, no matter what the religious differences are.. and yes, even sexual orientation.. I just choose to love people regardless.. I may not personally condone of some folk do, but I love them regardless .. as long as they don't try to infringe on my right to practice what I believe .... 'nuff said about that.
<<<<<

This particular point is one of the more insightful I've seen in all my time on City-Data. Us Evangelicals would be much more effective in our mission/purpose if we all sought to live in such a way. Excellent post, Friend.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 PM

533 posts, read 1,711,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
This particular point is one of the more insightful I've seen in all my time on City-Data. Us Evangelicals would be much more effective in our mission/purpose if we all sought to live in such a way. Excellent post, Friend.
I recommend an excellent new book, Mere Churchianity, by Michael Spencer who died just a few weeks before it was published. Michael Spencer wrote an excellent blog and was known as the Internet Monk.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
I recommend an excellent new book, Mere Churchianity, by Michael Spencer who died just a few weeks before it was published. Michael Spencer wrote an excellent blog and was known as the Internet Monk.

Thank you Flintysooner for that link. I'll definitely check it out and I think I'll have to get on this forum a little more often when I have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City