Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:54 PM

185 posts, read 349,927 times

Advertisements

Howdy ya'll! (Oh crap! *gets shot by OU fans*)
Just kidding.

I'm wondering what's the best restaurants in McAlester, particularly along the US 69 bypass. My church group in Austin Texas goes up to a youth retreat in Tahlequah Oklahoma, and we pass through McAlester around lunch time. (I've gone to this particular retreat 3 times already, and this year is my last time)
My first time, I think we either ate in McAlester or Atoka, not exactly sure, was pretty uneventful and everything went smoothly.
Second time, we ate lunch at a pizzeria in Eufaula. Good place.
Third time, we arrived in McAlester at around 1 PM or so, don't exactly remember. One of the adults from one of the other chapters recommended this restaurant called Taco Bobs to us. So we went there.
The food was disgusting, they were really slow, and half of our members felt sick to their stomach after they ate. It took us an hour and a half to eat there, which is one of the reasons our chapter was late to the retreat.
And on the way back, we ate at Braums in Muskolgee. I threw up after we left. Not fun.
I'm now wondering where's a good place for us to eat in McAlester. Taco Bobs and Braums are off the menu.
We need a place that:
Has good quality good, won't make us feel sick.
Can serve a large group (up to 18 teenagers and adults) fairly quickly (we should be in and out in no more than an hour).
Reasonable priced.
Isn't too out of the way. (We're traveling north on US 69)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 PM

46 posts, read 178,618 times
Pete's Place

Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Pete's Place is not open for lunch. Dinner only. Roseanna's in Krebs is has a very good lunch and it's very affordable. 205 East Washington (HWY 31) Krebs, Oklahoma 918-423-2055 Roseanna's runs a special all the time. Seems I ate lunch there last month for around 8 dollars. That was lunch, drink and tax. The food and service is very good.

Krebs is really kind of like a part of McAlester. It's a separate town but is only a mile off of HY 69. Krebs is famous for their Italian Restaurants. There is a very nice Italian Grocery store called Lovera's. It is a must see.

There is an Italian restaurant right on HY 69 across from the Wal-Mart called GiaComo's. It has a very cool 1960s dinner club look to it. You would have to call them if you have a large group. They are open for lunch but only have a dinner menu so they are pretty pricey for lunch. They serve their food family style. Your looking at around 20 dollars each once you add drink and tax.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Pete's, the Isle of Capri and Rosanne's are all within a half mile of highway 69 (east).

Back south about a mile Giacommo's is right on the highway (west).

I think Rosanne's has the best food overall, but Pete's is easily the best place to go with a group.

The Isle has really good steaks. It is slightly more formal but it would be good for a group because they have these big long mahogany tables. You just can't get as rowdy as you can at Pete's.

Giacomo's has the best italian sausage of the the places there. The place has sort of a 50's feel to it. You can just imagine Frank Sinatra walking in there.

All of them except Roasanne's serves family style so you can eat until you are stuffed.

Please eat at one of these places. Don't even THINK about eating anywhere else along that route!!!!!!!!.

All these places are owned by different members of an Italian clan that came to the area to mine coal in the 1890s so the food is legit.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Oh, what day of the week would it be? And Code is right about Pete's. Except on Sundays it doesn't open till 4 pm (12 pm on Sundays). Some of them are closed on Mondays.

Also, there is a gas station/convenience store in Krebs (Conoco I think) that Lovera's owns. They have the best pizza/subs in Oklahoma but they have limited seating. They could probably get you in and out in an hour or you could get it to go and eat it in the vans or whatever. If you worried about time you could do that.

Again, easily the best pizza in the state is served there because they use the ingredients from their italian store a couple of blocks up the street. it is just a couple of blocks behind Pete's and the Isle and a couple of blocks before you get to Rosanne's.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 PM

eddie gein, you hit the nail on the head when you said "Please eat at one of these places. Don't even THINK about eating anywhere else along that route!!!!!!!!." But you know what surprises me? That there are not any billboards or signs on HY-69 promoting Krebs and its rich Italian heritage. You would think that even the State would have signs along the way directing people to historic Krebs.

GlobalastPotato's post mentions these fine folks traveled through this area several times and did not know one of the best and uniques places to eat in the region was a half mile from Taco Bob's and Braum's. People travel from all over Oklahoma to eat at Krebs but if your driving down the highway you have no clue of the treasure you are passing. If Krebs were in Texas not only would you see billboards and signs along the Highway but there would be a at lest two county music songs about it...LOL

Krebs, Oklahoma would be our West, Texas (The town of West) the difference is West is Chez and Krebs is Italian.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/okie1962/3597398493/]

If you are in Krebs go a few more miles down the road and see the old Russian Orthodox Church in Hartshorne. It is worth the trip.

Last edited by okie1962; 01-15-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: added

Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM

Location: Where deer are milk cows and hoot owls are chickens and near where Big Foot is occasionally seen.
105 posts, read 397,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
...I'm now wondering where's a good place for us to eat in McAlester.
We need a place that:
Has good quality good, won't make us feel sick.
Can serve a large group (up to 18 teenagers and adults) fairly quickly (we should be in and out in no more than an hour).
Reasonable priced.
Isn't too out of the way. (We're traveling north on US 69)
Thanks!
Well, if your group likes Chinese food, I'd recommend East Gourmet Restaurant 621 South George Nigh Expressway. West side of hwy 69. Three loaded buffet tables, dessert buffet. Seating for a group your size but probably would be scattered unless you called ahead and made arrangements.

I have eaten there a few times and the food has always been very good and cost was reasonable. Easy on and easy off the highway.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
There's a really good BBQ place just east of Krebs a mile or two. I can't remember the name of it right off hand, but you'll see it on the north side of the highway. The parking lot usually full of dump trucks and log trucks.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
There's a really good BBQ place just east of Krebs a mile or two. I can't remember the name of it right off hand, but you'll see it on the north side of the highway. The parking lot usually full of dump trucks and log trucks.

Ball's BBQ!

Back in our meat eating days it was one of our favorite in McAlester and the owners were always so nice. Still LOVE Pete's Place. We have never been able to find a ravioli similar to theirs.
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...96537781148172
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma