Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 AM

13 posts, read 13,290 times

Advertisements

You all are so funny.

Here is my take on Oklahoma.

Moved here five years ago after complaining about San Diego having no weather.

First year: The people here are so friendly, we have weather, the snow, the ice, everything is so great. The summer isn't so bad because I can work in the garden until 1 p.m.

Second year: Hope we don't have to get out our generator during this ice storm. And I hope we don't have more fallen trees. Summer is still good.

Third year: my apricot tree died. But I am getting apples. Still love it here.

Fourth year: My apple trees almost fell over. The roots were wrapped around in a circle. My nectarine and peach tree are loaded with fruit. Wow! Can't wait. Later in season. My fruit trees got brown rot and every piece of fruit died. Not so happy. Will leave them to fend for themselves, after all they have pretty blossoms.

This year: Oh, gosh, I miss California, and I complained that they had no weather. I want to see the ocean. I wish we had the money go to there, but we have 11 feral cats to feed, and we don't want to drive, too old for this, and don't want to leaveour dog and cat in a kennel. I take our dog for a walk at 6:30 p.m. and by 8:30 I am inside with an air conditioner. At least if the electricity goes out we have a generator to get it back on, but if the air conditioner breaks, we will surely die, or we can go to Lowe's with our dog and sit in under one of their patio umbrellas, leaving the cats to fend for themselves, stopping by just to feed them. Will they let us sleep at lowe's or do we have to sleep outside with the mosquitoes and get Nile fever? Would they have any window air conditioners for sale anywhere, or would everyone be be out of them. My DH says we don't need a backup. I say we do.

My water bill is $150, and my plants are still suffering; some dying. What will our electric bill be?

Is this really global warming or just another Oklahoma dust bowl wannabe? My DH wanted to move to Arizona; I hate the desert, and now they are showing pictures on TV that look like the dust bowl. If we moved back to CA they would have an earthquake, and we would end up in the ocean, and then I can say, "Well, I wanted to see the ocean again."

Please tell me that this isn't global warming, and that we will have our old summers back, and tell me that we will not have another dust bowl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by withywindle View Post
You all are so funny.

First year: The people here are so friendly, we have weather, the snow, the ice, everything is so great. The summer isn't so bad because I can work in the garden until 1 p.m.

Second year: Hope we don't have to get out our generator during this ice storm. And I hope we don't have more fallen trees. Summer is still good.

Fourth year: My apple trees almost fell over. The roots were wrapped around in a circle. My nectarine and peach tree are loaded with fruit. Wow! Can't wait. Later in season. My fruit trees got brown rot and every piece of fruit died. Not so happy. Will leave them to fend for themselves, after all they have pretty blossoms.

This year: Oh, gosh, I miss California, and I complained that they had no weather. I want to see the ocean. I wish we had the money go to there, but we have 11 feral cats to feed, and we don't want to drive, too old for this, and don't want to leaveour dog and cat in a kennel. I take our dog for a walk at 6:30 p.m. and by 8:30 I am inside with an air conditioner. At least if the electricity goes out we have a generator to get it back on, but if the air conditioner breaks, we will surely die, or we can go to Lowe's with our dog and sit in under one of their patio umbrellas, leaving the cats to fend for themselves, stopping by just to feed them. Will they let us sleep at lowe's or do we have to sleep outside with the mosquitoes and get Nile fever? Would they have any window air conditioners for sale anywhere, or would everyone be be out of them. My DH says we don't need a backup. I say we do.

My water bill is $150, and my plants are still suffering; some dying. What will our electric bill be?

Is this really global warming or just another Oklahoma dust bowl wannabe? My DH wanted to move to Arizona; I hate the desert, and now they are showing pictures on TV that look like the dust bowl. If we moved back to CA they would have an earthquake, and we would end up in the ocean, and then I can say, "Well, I wanted to see the ocean again."

Please tell me that this isn't global warming, and that we will have our old summers back, and
Quote:
tell me that we will not have another dust bowl
?
withywindle,
I'm happy to tell you that there won't be another "Dust Bowl",..
and for the simple reason that the Dust Bowl wasn't a "Natural Disaster" created by Nature.

Remember, your in the "Bible Belt" now,
So your welcome to Pray along with the rest of us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl

Last edited by mkfarnam; 07-25-2011 at 10:02 AM..

Old 07-25-2011, 02:49 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,381,435 times
cindycat, where are you moving to when you come back?

About our winters, we only have a few spots of bad winter weather, and most of those have been in the last few years. We have mild winters. I can think of many winters where I haven't even had to get out my winter coats. If you think our winters are bad, you need to take a trip (or just watch the weather) up north. After that, you would realize how mild Oklahoma's winters really are.

Our summers, on the other hand, I've never been to a state where the summers are so incredibly hot and last for so long, without a break at all. I know some people have had rain, but not where I live! If it does rain, it doesn't last but a few minutes.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times
Stick around in case we soon get another one of those years, like 2007, where a lot of Oklahoma got over 50 or 60 inches of rain in one year.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 AM

689 posts, read 2,060,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
You are most welcome here. But can we please borrow a cup of Seattle weather?
If I could, I'd run down to McChord AFB and ask them to send you a C-17-full of our weather. (If you don't know what that is...it's a GREAT BIG airplane.)

Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM

689 posts, read 2,060,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
cindycat, where are you moving to when you come back?
We'll probably move to the Edmond area. We're retired from Tinker and lived out that way for 38 years. The north side is closer to the better restaurants and shopping that we did most of the time. My husband wants to leave here but doesn't really want to go back to the heat and humidity of Oklahoma. I, on the other hand, don't want to start over again in a place where I don't know anyone. Oklahoma was home for 60 years and I love it. Sweetheart that he is, he's agreed to move back to Oklahoma for me. (More than you wanted to know?)

We moved out here because we loved vacationing from northern California to BC and Alberta. We didn't give a thought to anything like renting for awhile to see if we'd like it. It's still a great place to visit...I won't go into a litany of things we don't like about living here. Now we're stuck here because of the housing market.

One more thing - back on the subject of this thread - our temperature when we woke up this morning was half of what yours in Oklahoma will be today. Hang in there, my dear Okie friends.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
If I could, I'd run down to McChord AFB and ask them to send you a C-17-full of our weather. (If you don't know what that is...it's a GREAT BIG airplane.)
They're Cargo (C-) planes. Those(ugly) ones with long, sagging wings that drop paratroopers.
We'll need thousands of those in order to drop the amount of rain
we need.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,290,278 times
Quote:
I heard that Satan called. He wants his weather back.

Also saw on TV out here in (you'll excuse the expression) Seattle, that the DEA agents in Oklahoma are bored because the drought has ruined the marijuana crop.

And the one that's mostly going around is that the Seattle area declares "summer" when it gets to 80 degrees. So far we've had 78 MINUTES of summer.

But you know...I'd still rather be with you. And we will, if we can ever sell this house (three years on the market). I love you Oklahoma.
My son is in Portland. He keeps complaining about rain and more rain. Rain isn't one of my favorite things but the lawn is mostly dead and even the trellace is not doing well that wasn't fazed by the ice storm.

I have a friend who lives at the beach on socal and she complains its been too hot... it was over 80. I laugh.

Eeeks, three years??? My sil wants to move up there and I'm wondering how long they'll be stuck in socal with the house.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,290,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by withywindle View Post
You all are so funny.

Please tell me that this isn't global warming, and that we will have our old summers back, and tell me that we will not have another dust bowl?
Love it. Just about finishing out the third year, but was from Riverside. This summer IS a typical Riverside summer. Now they are sooooo much cooler and we're up there in the triple digits. But the air is still blue over the grey muck that they call air there.

OMG do not want to think of the electric this summer.... But at least with two small window AC's if one dies you probably have the other.

Many of my relatives in California are still planning to move out when they can sell.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,381,435 times
Quote:
We'll probably move to the Edmond area. We're retired from Tinker and lived out that way for 38 years. The north side is closer to the better restaurants and shopping that we did most of the time. My husband wants to leave here but doesn't really want to go back to the heat and humidity of Oklahoma. I, on the other hand, don't want to start over again in a place where I don't know anyone. Oklahoma was home for 60 years and I love it. Sweetheart that he is, he's agreed to move back to Oklahoma for me. (More than you wanted to know?)

We moved out here because we loved vacationing from northern California to BC and Alberta. We didn't give a thought to anything like renting for awhile to see if we'd like it. It's still a great place to visit...I won't go into a litany of things we don't like about living here. Now we're stuck here because of the housing market.

One more thing - back on the subject of this thread - our temperature when we woke up this morning was half of what yours in Oklahoma will be today. Hang in there, my dear Okie friends.
I've seen you post on here, and I'm excited for you to move back too! I love a good restaurant myself!!
ETA: I'm in Yukon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma