Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:00 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,033,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

As a rule of thumb, I accept no "scientific " anything from politicians or journalists. Because, first off (first hand personal observation), those people go into those fields because HS science befuddled them. Science just wasn't their thing. One must accept that as a "fact of life." It's just the way it is. Secondly, politics and money transfers of massive proportions, direct and indirect, are clearly influencing any and all involved directly in these things. So, for all intents and purposes, forget the word "science." "Feelings" votes, and bank accounts are NOT science.

AMEN, Brother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 05:08 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
The positive to all of this is it's happening in a red state, so they are getting the results they voted for. They don't think fracking is a problem? Then they shouldn't complain about the earthquakes. If you make a choice, you have to live with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree with subsidized earthquake damage insurance if needed in addition to traditional insurance clauses in this part of the country.
So you break it and the country is supposed to fix it? It's one thing if it is purely a fault, but if fracking is causing it and the state voters support fracking, then the state voters should pay for it, not the country. You vote for it, you break it, you fix it.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:36 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

As a rule of thumb, I accept no "scientific " anything from politicians or journalists. Because, first off (first hand personal observation), those people go into those fields because HS science befuddled them. Science just wasn't their thing. One must accept that as a "fact of life." It's just the way it is. Secondly, politics and money transfers of massive proportions, direct and indirect, are clearly influencing any and all involved directly in these things. So, for all intents and purposes, forget the word "science." "Feelings" votes, and bank accounts are NOT science.

Is it ok when scientists come up with something scientific and publish a scientific article in a scientific journal.
]
Sharp increase in central Oklahoma seismicity since 2008 induced by massive wastewater injection | Science

Old 09-04-2016, 07:37 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Another reason why if I didn't have to live in Oklahoma, I would have been out yesterday. It's hard enough dealing with tornado season every spring, but these earthquakes are getting stronger and more frequent. Makes me worry that earthquakes like this morning are going to become a normal thing with even stronger, more damaging ones at times.
Actually, the earthquakes have slacked off in frequency since this spring. Since that time I hadn't been sensing any earthquakes until the one on Saturday morning suddenly came up. It was the most frightening earthquake I ever been through before. I was laying in bed saying to myself, "Please stop. Don't get worse."

One thing unusual is that two 5.0+ earthquakes during the same year hasn't happened before.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:10 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
I was just reading something about Kansas having had many new earthquakes because of fracking and in Kansas, they made the oil companies put their water way down deeper into the ground. Their earthquakes practically ceased after that.

From a former Californian, if you're in a large earthquake, don't do as someone else said and get under a table. The table can fall over and leave you vulnerable to falling debris. Get away from any windows. Try to find a doorway without a door and get under that. Strap your water heater to the wall and bolt your house to the foundation. Make sure you know how to shut off your gas and water. Just those things right there will help you a lot in a large quake. It wouldn't hurt to bolt things like tall bookcases and hutches to the walls, either.

Make sure your kitchen cupboards are locking when you close them, upper and lower, so the doors can't open and spill out their contents. Keep shoes and a flashlight by your bed so you can get them fast. Don't be next to any sliding doors, closet or otherwise. Those can come off the tracks and fall out.

Have fun, you guys!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:28 PM

Picture frames and vases didn't fall to the floor at my house from the Pawnee quake, so gotta keep hoping the earthquakes don't get more intense. The earthquakes underneath and very close to Stillwater have for the most part subsided this year. Hopefully, things will continue that way. My guess is the next big earthquake will take place to the WSW of Perry. That area has been one of the hottest spots for earthquakes in Oklahoma.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:29 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I was just reading something about Kansas having had many new earthquakes because of fracking and in Kansas, they made the oil companies put their water way down deeper into the ground. Their earthquakes practically ceased after that.
Problem is that Oklahoma is so Republican that getting that accomplished will be all but impossible. And sure, the people here are fed up with earthquakes, but all Republicans have to do is say they are God's candidate, oppose abortion, and loathe the LGBT community and most Oklahomans will line up to vote for them, even if they are voting against their best interests.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Problem is that Oklahoma is so Republican that getting that accomplished will be all but impossible. And sure, the people here are fed up with earthquakes, but all Republicans have to do is say they are God's candidate, oppose abortion, and loathe the LGBT community and most Oklahomans will line up to vote for them, even if they are voting against their best interests.
As long as you are not getting any younger, your truck is getting older und you will tell us about Oklahoma's incorrect political situation - have a pleasant Labor Day!

Old 09-05-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how Oklahomans will vote against their best interests in November. It will be important to vote yes on the state question for criminal justice reform to take the pressure off of overcrowded state prisons. Those charged with drug possession alone will always be charged with a misdemeanor, subject to no more than a $1000 fine and a year in the county jail. Also it won't be as easy to go to prison over shoplifting. Current laws explain why Oklahoma is the most imprisoned state for women.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Interesting update on the quake. The USGS has determined a previously unknown fault running through the oil field area was reawakened by the seventeen injection wells. They are also warning it VERY likely there will be at least one other 4.O aftershocks which will hit the whole central OK area. The seventeen wells are being shut and will remain that way, but the industry is not happy. It appears the loss in production will hit the production in the larger area and lead to less production in the rest. They are of course thinking dollars, not human needs so should be shusshed.

So we have a new fault which produces 4.0 quakes and the risk for more. And they urge schools to begin the drop and roll drills in schools I grew up with in California. Might practice at home too. I lived with quakes too long to put large heavy things on walls so they could fall on you.

Who wants to bet the oil companies will continue to whine and say they have to find a way around it. Soooooo glad I'm leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma