Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,496 times

Advertisements

Shawnee so much! I just traced my maternal Great Grand Parents roots to Pottawatomie Co. Hopefully I'll find out what town they lived in soon. I knew that my love for Shawnee had to be more than "just because." Of course their parents came from other states but It's Oklahoma for me for sure. Gosh I envy all of you who live there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Good for you Choctaw2!

Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,830,663 times
When your roots are buried in this red earth, you will feel it no matter where you are!!

We know you are here in spirit. http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/1.gif (broken link)

Hubby's Choctaw roots are buried out in Bryan County... little place called Blue, OK. We are hoping to attend a family reunion out that way in April, and get to see the original homestead and where his 'greats' are buried.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM

My Dad's Choctaw roots came from Skullyville OK VIA Mississippi. One of my distant uncle's was appointed Sheriff in Tobucksy County, which later became Pittsburg County at statehood. Benjamin was a member of the famed Choctaw Light Horsemen. The Light Horsemen was a unit of lawmen chosen to uphold the law in the Choctaw Nation. He, Benjamin F. Jones, was shot and killed in Sept 1876. My Great Grandpa, Alex Jones, Benjamin's dad, was also killed and both I think are buried in Skullyville.

My roots go very deep in OK.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,622,556 times
That is pretty country. I know you will take your camera.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,354,845 times
I have a friend that is going to take me to see an Indian that is good on geneology. Maybe he can trace my Indian ancesters, but I am not so sure since I tried and failed. At least it is a better shot that what I could do. It would be nice to be able to this about my great grandmother(s).

Old 02-06-2008, 01:00 PM

98 posts, read 273,186 times
The thing about having Native American blood in your family is that they come from HEARTY, SPIRITUAL, PURE people no matter what the tribe! Its the blood you never have to make excuses for, or explain the history of! I'm half white, on my Fathers side, going back all the way to 1620, and before, were abolitionists, religiously tolerant, and almost every Blauvelt from Blauvelt County in N.Y. died for the North in the Civil War. But you would never know that unless you know the family history on that side. BUT my mothers CHOCTAW, and Cherokee blood needs no explaining! GREAT PEOPLE!!! If you have Native American blood be proud, humble, but still proud!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
The thing about having Native American blood in your family is that they come from HEARTY, SPIRITUAL, PURE people no matter what the tribe! Its the blood you never have to make excuses for, or explain the history of! I'm half white, on my Fathers side, going back all the way to 1620, and before, were abolitionists, religiously tolerant, and almost every Blauvelt from Blauvelt County in N.Y. died for the North in the Civil War. But you would never know that unless you know the family history on that side. BUT my mothers CHOCTAW, and Cherokee blood needs no explaining! GREAT PEOPLE!!! If you have Native American blood be proud, humble, but still proud!
Agreed! Did you folks know there is a DNA test that you can take for a few hundred dollars that will tell you the exact tribe and your percentage of NA blood? I'll have to track down the link. I have a certain amount in me as well, as my father was 1/8th (I believe Chickasaw or Choctaw).

Update: Here's one link.

Find Ancestry by DNA using DNA Ancestry Services (http://www.dnatesting.com/ancestral/ - broken link)

Old 02-06-2008, 03:25 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Agreed! Did you folks know there is a DNA test that you can take for a few hundred dollars that will tell you the exact tribe and your percentage of NA blood? I'll have to track down the link. I have a certain amount in me as well, as my father was 1/8th (I believe Chickasaw or Choctaw).

Update: Here's one link.

Find Ancestry by DNA using DNA Ancestry Services (http://www.dnatesting.com/ancestral/ - broken link)
My late favorite uncle (through marriage) was supposedly 100% NA. All I have by the way of information is his name. Is there any possible way to trace his roots?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM

Most tribe have websites and some of them also have Genealogy links, got much help by putting a quest for my grandparent at this link
Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma (http://www.choctawnation.com/History/index.cfm?Fuseaction=HGroups&HGroupID=1 - broken link) original enrollees. I have been contacted by at least three people who have information on my family history.

Also google the name who knows you might find something there to start you search. also check out this link

Free Genealogy and Family History Online - The USGenWeb Project (http://www.usgenweb.org/~usgw/index.shtml - broken link)

this link has been very helpful for me Lots of info here.

there are a lot of free genealogy web sites. All helpful in one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma