Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 03:27 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times

Advertisements

Yes, it was necessary. It cannot be that difficult to make a phone call to get factual information based on your personal details.

Why does almost every thread turn into an OKC bashing? We came here to grow roots, bought a house, hired locally to update it and got a back yard from construction dirt to mature trees, a new vehicle for SO, pay our taxes and dues. No COL is not what everyone raves about. The job market is not great. I can see four churches from the patio and nobody has yet bothered to bother me. Folks at the tag office and at Canadian County are great. Grocery stores are soso at best. Roads are in bad shape. Some folks are snooty towards newcomers, some folks are helpful. A haircut (no shampoo, nothing but a trim) runs 25$ and you better tip well. It takes an act of Congress to get a CDL and the local pawn shop has prices at make Cabela's look like a pawn shop. .....

What gets me is the entitlement to free this or that people here insist on. The well, I did not make it the first time around so let's they this again. Or there may be a way to get a bit more out of this state's programs so let's move. The state is not liberal enough for me but I have a car note. ..... Folks - let's get a reality check. You cannot blame everything on politicians, those who make a bit more then you deem their share and Oklahoma. If you do not like it do something about it. Vote, work, volunteer, move but quit whining! We are staying - we had better, we had worse.

Have a great Sunday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 09:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
A haircut (no shampoo, nothing but a trim) runs 25$ and you better tip well.
LOL, it's easy to get a haircut in Stillwater for a lot less than $25, for instance, Pro Cuts charges $13.95. Less than than that, if you got a coupon. You quite obviously need to stop being too lazy for shop around for a decent priced haircut.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:50 PM

[quote=LeaveWI;45766188]
Quote:
Why do you not use the contact info and call on Tuesday given that Monday is a holiday? What does an embedded URL have to do with a qualifier being active or not? Those four are pretty cut and dry.

After almost a year in OK - I am still looking for the low cost of living.

Was the bolded really necessary??? AS for the COL, when I was there I couldn't find it either? What ST said is so very true. IDK what is wrong with that state, why they elect that scum. All I know from experience is like that song "In The City" by Joe Walsh-the words "When you're down, that's where you'll stay" It's sad because OK doesn't have to be that way
Lot's of Oklahomans strongly believe you're an utter disgrace, if you have to run to the government for help. That is a major reason why Republicans have taken over Oklahoma. Oklahoma voters fear Democrats will only step up welfare entitlements, which is true, since Democrats want more Oklahomans to be eligible for Medicaid. Republicans refuse to allow it. They think well off people and their corporations are really the ones who need breaks from government.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:08 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
I'm confused - There is a list (6 items) of who is qualified - the first 4 are not "active" (have no url links).

Anyway I am in the "65 and older" category - the Income says for children and "soon to be sooners" (what is soon to be sooners?) with a family size of 1 is $2,079 and I make hundreds of dollars less than that. Other than social security I get a $200 pension payment per month and the total is about $500 less than that.

Could someone explain what soon to be sooners means? Maybe I don't get it because I'm not from Oklahoma.
Yes, I can tell you what it means. It means illegals and "refugees" who are headed this way! We already have some, and they get the following : Food stamps, free housing, free medical, free college education, free organ transplants, spending money, file taxes & get more back than I've ever gotten,( I have to pay as a matter of fact. )with no job. They get so much on their food stamp cards, restaurants and other services are beginning to take them. 90% of these people will never get off welfare, and they have a lot of kids to further suck the money from the system. If Hillary gets elected, it will just get worse. She didn't deny it when it was brought up tonight. Someone said we will be paying 50% taxes to take care of them. Half our checks!

Obama and fallin have cut out mental health spending again this year, just like last year, but none of these people hesitate to give themselves a raise! Guess who has the most toll roads in the country? Oklahoma. Now, guess who has the worse roads in the country? Oklahoma. Guess who's crying for more money every flipping year? Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation. Something doesn't add us, but, just as in DC, nothing will be done about it!

Also, :"soon to be Sooners" probably also means babies to be born here. Don't give up though. Keep looking through the government numbers here in OK. and keep calling. How can it be that much different here than other states? I just get angrier thinking about how the people who shouldn't even be here get to live such a nice life, courtesy of the American taxpayer while our own citizens have to decide between food and medicine! Keep us informed, please.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:13 AM

[quote=StillwaterTownie;45771005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Lot's of Oklahomans strongly believe you're an utter disgrace, if you have to run to the government for help. That is a major reason why Republicans have taken over Oklahoma. Oklahoma voters fear Democrats will only step up welfare entitlements, which is true, since Democrats want more Oklahomans to be eligible for Medicaid. Republicans refuse to allow it. They think well off people and their corporations are really the ones who need breaks from government.
So true. I really think my parents would have let us starve to death rather than try to get assistance of any kind. They have a tiny amount of Indian blood in them, and me, and they're on the rolls, but, no one ever used them, so they have no idea how to get the number. I tried one time because my kids don't have insurance because it's not provided to them at their jobs, so they pay Obama's fine. The same Obama who just gave himself an 18% raise. I never could get the names as far back as they needed. No ones who's still alive even knows, they just know we have one.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Yes, I can tell you what it means. It means illegals and "refugees" who are headed this way! We already have some, and they get the following : Food stamps, free housing, free medical, free college education, free organ transplants, spending money, file taxes & get more back than I've ever gotten,( I have to pay as a matter of fact. )with no job. They get so much on their food stamp cards, restaurants and other services are beginning to take them. 90% of these people will never get off welfare, and they have a lot of kids to further suck the money from the system. If Hillary gets elected, it will just get worse. She didn't deny it when it was brought up tonight. Someone said we will be paying 50% taxes to take care of them. Half our checks!
It is against the law for illegal immigrants to get government welfare. Whoever is giving it out to them should be in serious trouble.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:54 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, it's easy to get a haircut in Stillwater for a lot less than $25, for instance, Pro Cuts charges $13.95. Less than than that, if you got a coupon. You quite obviously need to stop being too lazy for shop around for a decent priced haircut.
It is a long way to Stillwater for a haircut:>)

Old 10-11-2016, 04:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Quote:
Yes, it was necessary. It cannot be that difficult to make a phone call to get factual information based on your personal details.

Why does almost every thread turn into an OKC bashing? We came here to grow roots, bought a house, hired locally to update it and got a back yard from construction dirt to mature trees, a new vehicle for SO, pay our taxes and dues. No COL is not what everyone raves about. The job market is not great. I can see four churches from the patio and nobody has yet bothered to bother me. Folks at the tag office and at Canadian County are great. Grocery stores are soso at best. Roads are in bad shape. Some folks are snooty towards newcomers, some folks are helpful. A haircut (no shampoo, nothing but a trim) runs 25$ and you better tip well. It takes an act of Congress to get a CDL and the local pawn shop has prices at make Cabela's look like a pawn shop. .....

What gets me is the entitlement to free this or that people here insist on. The well, I did not make it the first time around so let's they this again. Or there may be a way to get a bit more out of this state's programs so let's move. The state is not liberal enough for me but I have a car note. ..... Folks - let's get a reality check. You cannot blame everything on politicians, those who make a bit more then you deem their share and Oklahoma. If you do not like it do something about it. Vote, work, volunteer, move but quit whining! We are staying - we had better, we had worse.

Have a great Sunday!
You'll definitely fit in to oklahoma quite nicely it appears. Good luck ! I'm guessing folks want freebies because you're right, the COL is not low, and all those $10 an hour call center jobs arent enough to live on. OK is bashed because it sucks. The job market there defies belief " what's 2 plus 2"? If you answer 4 you're WAY overqualified and won't get hired and will make your superiors look foolish. Both my brother and I tried the OK life we thrived before and after OK, not during. YMMV Vaya con Dios

Old 10-11-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
You'll definitely fit in to oklahoma quite nicely it appears. Good luck ! I'm guessing folks want freebies because you're right, the COL is not low, and all those $10 an hour call center jobs arent enough to live on. OK is bashed because it sucks. The job market there defies belief " what's 2 plus 2"? If you answer 4 you're WAY overqualified and won't get hired and will make your superiors look foolish. Both my brother and I tried the OK life we thrived before and after OK, not during. YMMV Vaya con Dios

What do you mean the Oklahoma Cost Of Living is not low? In Clinton, citi-data rates the COL there as only 78.9. In one of the most popular Oklahoma towns in this forum, Durant, the COL is 81.5. Compare this to the national average of 100.

As I think I have probably commented before, life is how you make it. Years ago, if I thought the best I could possibly do was to work at low pay at OSU washing dishes and mopping floors, I'd still be working there. It's seems that, unlike me, too many Oklahomans don't want to be bothered with bettering themselves, so they can get higher paying jobs, and so it ends up making Oklahoma rank low in quality of life statistics. Further, it seems a lot of Oklahomans think it's too much of a bother to brush their teeth. Consequently, Oklahoma is well in the top ten states for having residents, who are toothless. Excuse me, so I can go brush my teeth. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok[

Last edited by Yac; 10-14-2016 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It is against the law for illegal immigrants to get government welfare. Whoever is giving it out to them should be in serious trouble.
Well, Obama's the one giving it to them. Everybody has been posting their receipts because they just throw them on the ground, and some have been over 5,6,7, thousand dollar balances. They get everything. Obama's suing Sheriff Joe right now because he's detained some illegals, and remember Obama threatened anyone who did their job as far as illegals go, would be in trouble? They even get free organ transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma