Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:28 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,310 times

Advertisements

http://www.tnaetc.com/resources.htm (broken link)

NATIVE AMERICAN FINANCIAL AID
American Indian College Fund
American Indian Vocational Services
Free Scholarship Search
FASFA
Oklahoma Guaranteed Student Loan Program
OTAG
PLATO
Pell Grant
Stafford Loans

P.S. Be sure though you check out Ft. Lewis in Durango Colorado. All I know is that it says "Free tuition, a product of a 19th-century treaty, is just one incentive Fort Lewis offers to Native Americans. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 04:00 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Proving his heritage/blood is probably the ~worst~ reason to move to OK. Personally, I get tired of non-Indians thinking Indians get "freebies" by being enrolled. It draws a lot of wannabes out of the woodwork for the wrong reasons. But that's just my biased opinon.

I did a lot of research as a librarian in the past. Each tribe has its own criteria. I believe the Cherokee's simply have to prove one of their ancestors was on the roll. Bear in mind, there are only a kajillion people with cherokee blood in their veins trying to prove the same thing so you should not have to reinent the wheel on this search.
What does he hope to do with that CDIB? Unless he plans to work for the Cherokee Nation I wouldn't put so much emphasis on it. As for health care, the IHS is a pain, but the meds make it worth it.
There was a good list on the net where people go to trace their native geneology. It was very popular after Dances with Wolves. Native-L, or Native Web, something like that. Also, we have a friend who is Northern Cherokee. Out of Missouri. I had never even heard of that tribe/clan. Good luck.
I personally found the library at Lawton, OK to have tribal rolls as a good source.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:30 PM

75 posts, read 285,190 times
DownToEarth....If, and that’s a mighty big if, we were able to move to Oklahoma I think we'd be looking at the Coweta area. There would be more of a job possibility there.
I’m not familiar with Kaw City…exactly where in Oklahoma is that?
Now if we were to retire there, we’d be looking at several years down the road. Of course I’m “chompin’ at the bit” and ready to move ASAP. I miss my family and I miss Oklahoma. So I’m ready to move first chance I get. But, we shall see what the future holds for us. Lake living sounds lovely to me…and that’s coming from someone who lived within a few miles of the sugar white beaches of Florida at one time!
Thanks for your post.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:08 PM

6 posts, read 18,500 times
But now that there are financial benefits...everyone wants to prove they are Indian. If you truely are an Indian then your parents would be enrolled in an Federally recognized tribe, and they would of made sure you were enrolled when you were born. If you have to search and prove that your great great great grandfather or grandmother was an Indian...than you probably arent, or are very little, and a majority of your blood is gone. Don't be so greedy and try to use up the programs that are in place for real Indians (who the programs were made for). Its really sad to see all the non-indians sitting in the waiting room of an Indian health clinic. If its so hard to prove your Indian than you probably arent. Leave the Indians benefits alone.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM

75 posts, read 285,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwr View Post
But now that there are financial benefits...everyone wants to prove they are Indian. If you truely are an Indian then your parents would be enrolled in an Federally recognized tribe, and they would of made sure you were enrolled when you were born. If you have to search and prove that your great great great grandfather or grandmother was an Indian...than you probably arent, or are very little, and a majority of your blood is gone. Don't be so greedy and try to use up the programs that are in place for real Indians (who the programs were made for). Its really sad to see all the non-indians sitting in the waiting room of an Indian health clinic. If its so hard to prove your Indian than you probably arent. Leave the Indians benefits alone.
Wow, calm down there sunflwr! I do believe something I said half-heartedly has been taken waaaay out of context.
First let me say this, benefits are the LEAST of my desire in moving back to Oklahoma. The MAIN goal is getting back closer to family and the wonderful people that dwell within the state. As I've mentioned, I have been all over this beautiful country and Oklahomans are by far the friendliest group I have ever met.
I realize reading words on a message board doesn't give one the full insight into what a poster is really trying to say. So I will take your words with a grain of salt. Please feel free to do the same with mine.
And for the record...if I were to show you a picture of my husband, I assure you, if you know ANYTHING about Native Americans, you would KNOW he IS indeed Indian. (With a dash of Scottish mixed within!) He doesn't need a roll number to PROVE anything to him. He KNOWS what he is. He KNOWS his heritage. My original comment was based on my wanting to move back and him popping off about moving IF I could prove his heritage.
The “benefits” (what little there are) would only be a bonus. The true prize would be living within a state that I love and adore, closer to family that I also love and adore.
I have very close friends back in Oklahoma that are 100% Native Americans, I know all to well how little they get. They are Choctaw, and I have never felt that they get their fair shake. But that’s a whole other can of worms that I won’t get into here…
Just know this, my desire to live once again in Oklahoma is based solely on my wanting to live in an area that is close to my family AND live in a place that is filled with down to earth, good hearted people…not for monetary gain from peoples that I have ALWAYS felt never got their fair shake to begin with.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:37 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Good for you Rug for standing up for yourself. I am also trying to prove my Indian heritage. I am not thinking about the benefits, and if I were I would be busier with it than I am. My grandmothers were both on the Trail of Tears. I moved here because this is a very friendly State, and I have been and lived in a lot of places. I find those in Arkansas to be friendly too, but I like Oklahoma.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:01 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Boy that's the truth about American Indians not getting a fair shake. The removal from their tribal lands wasn't enough, the US Government continued to stick it to 'em decade after decade until many Native Americans just started giving up and lost interest in their heritage and customs.

Thankfully, there is a revival of interest in their customs, language, and culture - and a rich one it is. I'm so happy to see the tribes finally beginning to openly exhibit pride in their heritage; it's long overdue.

I'm not Native American, but I have many, many friends of the Chickasaw Tribe, which is very closely related to the Choctaws. The two were actually one tribe hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Yup, they sure did get cheated. IMHO the very worst thing that was done to them was when the cavalry brought them blankets before winter. They took them thinking it was a good act, but in reality they had been tainted with smallpox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma