Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 05:24 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
More of a Dixiecrat map no?
It demonstrates the settlement patterns of Oklahoma. NW OKlahoma was NOT settled by the same type of people that settled the rest of the state.

Again, not rust belt midwest or even cornbelt midwest.... but Kansas midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 05:32 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If you want to illustrate the part of Oklahoma that is midwest (in a Kansas sort of way) all one needs to do is look at a map of the 1964 Presidential Election. Obviously the whole map would be red today but back then the south was Democrat and all the Kansas wheat farmers in the northwest part of the state were Republicans. Tulsa went Republican as did the oil company communities in Ponca City and Bartlesville. Some people consider Tulsa to have a midwest element that has existed from it's founding by the oil tycoons who were trying to develop a non oil field town across the river from the Glen pool.

Interestingly not a lot of the map is dark blue or dark red.

My wife's home county is conspicuously red... and even more today.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post

My wife's home county is conspicuously red... and even more today.
It is interesting that in that map, the two counties that are dark red consist of Mennonite settled areas.

Again, in 1964 most families who had homesteaded the land in NW Oklahoma were still on it. And the oil field (which brought some southerner types into the area) had really only found it's way to NW Oklahoma in the late 1950s.

I would suspect that today there are some people in NW Oklahoma who might have gotten there via oil field activity as opposed to farming. And sadly, the land is being sold off from those old homesteader families slowly but surely.

One thing is for sure. The map doesn't look like that anymore. LOL.

Old 06-30-2023, 03:52 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
It is interesting that in that map, the two counties that are dark red consist of Mennonite settled areas.

Again, in 1964 most families who had homesteaded the land in NW Oklahoma were still on it. And the oil field (which brought some southerner types into the area) had really only found it's way to NW Oklahoma in the late 1950s.

I would suspect that today there are some people in NW Oklahoma who might have gotten there via oil field activity as opposed to farming. And sadly, the land is being sold off from those old homesteader families slowly but surely.

One thing is for sure. The map doesn't look like that anymore. LOL.
That just happened. MIL passed months ago, and her wishes were to sell it. That just happened; had it not been for my FIL's habit of "over-collecting" (nice, PC word for hoarding) it might have been a nicer place, but I spent MANY hours cleaning and removing trash and otherwise clearing years (since the 20s) of accumulated junk from a 160 acre quarter. Now it belongs to someone else; I wanted it but my wife did not, nor did her oldest brother's wife so her brother was disallowed as well. No one else could afford it; at least it wasn't sold to a Chinese cannibis planter or an AG business like Cargill but to a family with even deeper roots in the area.

Old 07-01-2023, 02:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
All this publicity could turn Tulsa into an Austin lite. The next "happening" place to move.

This Thread is cracking me up. Keep up the good work!

I didn't even know there was a show saying Tulsa was the Paris whatever whatever.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
This Thread is cracking me up. Keep up the good work!

I didn't even know there was a show saying Tulsa was the Paris whatever whatever.
Well the show has already bailed on filming in Oklahoma. They moved to KC. Haven't heard if they are going to shoot a third season.

Old 07-10-2023, 05:01 PM

578 posts, read 303,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
Brandon settled a bunch of Afghanis in Tulsa after the Taliban ran US forces out of there. Then there is the natural intercourse between Tulsa and oil capital, and the oil producers of the Middle East. Kind of like with the Petroleum Engineering school in Norman.
Several middle eastern students were taking chemical engineering in Stillwater with me. I had oil and gas summer jobs in port Arthur tx and New Orleans while they spent summers in Chicago as waiters in high end restaurants. They made a lot more money in summer work.

Old 07-18-2023, 11:26 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I thank you got it upside down there C&B.

It’s Paris that is the Tulsa of Northern France.

Best response!

Old 07-23-2023, 10:53 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Tulsa can. It's right at the divide between midwest, south and the plains. A lot of it's original founders were elites from the midwest and east. Strange mix of culture in Tulsa.
Tulsa may have Midwestern qualities but its still a Southern city in a Southern state.

I had a friend from Upstate New York who tried to claim she lived in New England. She may have been near the Vermont border but no New Englander would count anywhere in New York "New England."

Old 07-23-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Tulsa may have Midwestern qualities but its still a Southern city in a Southern state.

I had a friend from Upstate New York who tried to claim she lived in New England. She may have been near the Vermont border but no New Englander would count anywhere in New York "New England."
It is always funny how northerners consider Oklahoma a "southern" state and many Southerners refuse to say that Oklahoma is a southern state. It truly appears to be in the eye of the beholder.

Working class people in Tulsa are mostly southern. But the power brokers weren't southern originally... and their legacy still influences Tulsa. Probably the most notable thing left from those people is all the Art Deco stuff in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma