Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:40 PM

266 posts, read 972,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I'm sorry, I dont mean to be argumentative, but I would have to see proof of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Arizona just passed a new Immigration Law 01/01/2008.
Can you verify this?

http://www.ok-safe.com/files/documen...te_schools.pdf

That link has proof, at least I think it does, I didn't get time to fully look it over. It may only mention it but i'm not sure.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:07 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,795,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
http://www.ok-safe.com/files/documen...te_schools.pdf

That link has proof, at least I think it does, I didn't get time to fully look it over. It may only mention it but i'm not sure.
Well, the article mentions teaching the Hispanic culture in certain schools in Arizona, but it doesn't mention teaching that in place of American History. I dont' want to weigh in on the immigration issue at this time, but I sincerely doubt that there are any public schools in the United States that are not teaching American History.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:24 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,446,368 times
I see what your saying but this Bill has already been critcized to the point where it will be thrown out.

This is something which anyone concern should read.

...........................Bill touts 'American values’ in schoolC
April 17, 2008 - 9:57AM
Howard Fischer
Capitol Media Services
Arizona schools whose courses "denigrate American values and the teachings of Western civilization" could lose state funding under the terms of legislation approved Wednesday by a House panel.

SB1108 also would bar teaching practices that "overtly encourage dissent" from those values, including democracy, capitalism, pluralism and religious tolerance. Schools would have to surrender teaching materials to the state superintendent of public instruction, who could withhold state aid from districts that broke the law.

Another section of the bill would bar public schools, community colleges and universities from allowing organizations to operate on campus if it is "based in whole or in part on race-based criteria," a provision Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, said is aimed at MEChA, the Moviemiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, a student group.

The 9-6 vote by the Appropriations Committee sends the measure to the full House.

The legislation appears aimed largely at the Tucson Unified School District, whose "Raza Studies" program has annoyed some people. Tucson resident Laura Leighton read lawmakers sections of some books used in classrooms which she said promote hatred.

If the proposal becomes law, however, it would have a statewide reach. And that concerned even some lawmakers who voted for it, saying the language of what would and would not be prohibited is "vague."

read more...

Local News: Bill touts 'American values’ in school | american, values, school : YourWestValley.com (http://www.yourwestvalley.com/news/american_2358___article.html/values_school.html - broken link)

Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Well, the article mentions teaching the Hispanic culture in certain schools in Arizona, but it doesn't mention teaching that in place of American History. I dont' want to weigh in on the immigration issue at this time, but I sincerely doubt that there are any public schools in the United States that are not teaching American History.

I know what i'm talking about, I read it or heard it somewhere.. Gosh, I can't find it and I wouldn't know where to look for it. But that's fine, I provided what I could. The point is, it's a mess and it's getting worse.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I know what i'm talking about, I read it or heard it somewhere.. Gosh, I can't find it and I wouldn't know where to look for it. But that's fine, I provided what I could. The point is, it's a mess and it's getting worse.
It is confusing to understand which way they are going with this Bill.

The title say's "Measure backs American Values"in States schools.

LP: Measure backs 'American values' in state schools

Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
It is confusing to understand which way they are going with this Bill.

The title say's "Measure backs American Values"in States schools.

LP: Measure backs 'American values' in state schools

The bill "backs American Values", but what I was talking about was the schools in parts of southern Arizona that were refusing to teach American History.

Are we on the same page?? lol

From that link: SB1108 also would bar teaching practices that "overtly encourage dissent" from those values, including democracy, capitalism, pluralism and religious tolerance. Schools would have to surrender teaching materials to the state superintendent of public instruction, who could withhold state aid from districts that broke the law.

Help me understand this, but is that saying that they will get rid of the following?? (bold)

Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 PM

They're's nothing said about teachers refusing to teach American History.

It does say that if this Bill passed and the teachers refused to teach History other than American, they would be breaking the Law.

This article needs to be read a couple times to really understand where they're trying to go with it.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
They're's nothing said about teachers refusing to teach American History.

It does say that if this Bill passed and the teachers refused to teach History other than American, they would be breaking the Law.

This article needs to be read a couple times to really understand where they're trying to go with it.
Ok, I see what you are saying. But like I said, I heard or read somewhere that they were refusing to teach that. I could be wrong, and once again as I said earlier, I can't find any documents that show proof, so I can't back my statement up.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, I see what you are saying. But like I said, I heard or read somewhere that they were refusing to teach that. I could be wrong, and once again as I said earlier, I can't find any documents that show proof, so I can't back my statement up.
This article is 2 months old
SB1108 is the new Immigration Bill that became effective in AZ 1/1/08. They're trying to find loop holes in the Bill

. There is no way in H@ll any US Tax payers or Parents would allow their kids to be taught this BS.
It even says at the end,

Quote:
"We find hate and revolution is being taught in their books," she testified. "We found a denigration and disparagement of American values and a subversion of our history." House Minority Leader Phil Lopes, D-Tucson, said
Quote:
lawmakers should butt out of the controversy. He said decisions of curriculum should be left to local school boards.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:35 AM

432 posts, read 669,998 times
Whether our topic is the NAFTA superhighway or subjects taught in Arizona schools, they do have something in common. If our worst suspicions are correct, their realization would come at the great expense of the average American, and even America itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma