Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times

Advertisements

You like to go out for walk, don't you? I'm an avid walker (four miles every morning and 8 miles on Sat. and Sun.) I bump into a lot of others who are out walking. We do a few sentence chat every day and it might be easy to strike up a conversation with them. OR, do you like to ride bicycle? Anything that'll get you out of the house for a while would be great.

You don't sound pathetic. You just sound like you'd like to get out now and then and have someone to talk to on occassion. That's perfectly normal. Not sure how well I'd fare in a foreign country either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 09:32 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
Belgian Pea, you don't sound pathetic to me.

I agree with Jammie about the walking and exercising. When I get a little depressed, a brisk walk helps cheer me up. Isn't it great how the weather is cooling off early this year?

I understand that you can't work because of visa etc., but maybe you could consider volunteering for some cause you believe in? Do you love animals? Maybe you could check with you local library for information. I hope the librarian might be friendly to you. You speak English very well, maybe you could tutor some children at your local school?

Just some suggestions. I hope you don't think I am too pushy.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:33 AM

I don't know if Enid has any public transportation. I found this:

Enid Public Transportation Authority - The Transfer
1502 West Poplar Avenue
Phone: (580) 233-0468 Bus Lines

I found that on this website:
Enid, Oklahoma - Sports and Teams

It is not all about sports, you can click on home and you can find out all kinds of stuff about Enid there.

Guthrie has the Guthrie Shuttle. You can just call them and they will come pick you up and take you anywhere in Logan County for a reasonable price. I never knew about that until recently. Maybe Enid could have something similar.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:36 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
I agree that volunteer work is the way to really meet people. Go by the Chamber of Commerce and pick up information on groups that meet there.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 PM

74 posts, read 316,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I guess you feel like a stranger in a strange land. At least you have your husband for company.

Please let us know from time to time how you are doing.
yes you i do feel like a stranger. alot of things after 9 months of being here still feel very foreign to me.

and yup good thing i got my hubby stupid thing is we hardly get to spend any time together. he works nightshifts so it feels like he's either working long days or sleeping, or i am in the kitchen making us dinner.
and i can tell he's been hurting too cos of how little time we have together.

he really is my rock in all this.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 PM

thanks guys i really apreciate all the advise.
uhuh i still go walking, it's been less in the heat of the summer but its starting to cool off now so ive been more active. i would go swimming in our apartment pool when it was hot, but can you believe i was alone almost every single time nobody uses the pool, cant understand why, it was great in the heat.

when i go walking (usually at the mall, its really nearby) i bump into the same security people and they're always friendly but you dont really talk to em.
this week i have been very busy, my hubby's bday is coming up so i have been running around like mad to the places i can get to on foot. to buy him pressies and order cake, and buy all the party stuff.
it'll just be the two of us though but i dont care! i wanna party

next week we also have our 6 months wedding anniversary coming up, so i made arrangments to get our weddingbands engraved on that day. (they're not engraved yet). i hope he'll be as excited about that at i am

im thinking of calling hobby lobby cos i heard they do classes sometimes. would be great cos i LOVE messing around and being creative

maybe charity work could be an option, the problem so far with things has been, either cos i dont have a social security number. or simply bad hours. we're on nightshift schedule ( i have to be too more or less, otherwise we'd never see eachother), he has to be able to drop me off and pick me up and he cant do that when he's sleeping
there is a bus you can call i think, im not really sure how it works. if i find something i want to go for then i might look into that

Old 09-14-2007, 02:57 AM

With your hubby's birthday and your 6 mo anniversary coming up you should be busy. You and your husband sound very romantic.

Working the night shift does change things socially. I worked 3-11 for a while and even that was different. If you work 11-7 I think that is the most disruptive. If you stay on his schedule that will be best. Not much reason to sleep at different times. Some people who are married work different shifts and never see each other. I would hate that.

Enid sounds like it might not be all that friendly. I liked another poster's comment that if you get involved in civic work, you might get you grandkids accepted.

Well, happy birthday to your husband and happy anniversary.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:46 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I don't get to Enid all that often (I was born there) but if you would like to meet up sometime for coffee or whatever, IM me or Schousse. It sounds like we are your parents generation though. But Schousse is from the Netherlands, although she moved to Cape Cod 25 years ago and to Oklahoma 3 years ago, so you might be able to have a few things in common. It would certainly be worth wasting a cup of coffee over.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
With your hubby's birthday and your 6 mo anniversary coming up you should be busy. You and your husband sound very romantic.

Working the night shift does change things socially. I worked 3-11 for a while and even that was different. If you work 11-7 I think that is the most disruptive. If you stay on his schedule that will be best. Not much reason to sleep at different times. Some people who are married work different shifts and never see each other. I would hate that.

Enid sounds like it might not be all that friendly. I liked another poster's comment that if you get involved in civic work, you might get you grandkids accepted.

Well, happy birthday to your husband and happy anniversary.
I'll make sure to pass on the bday wishes.
a few VERY good things have happened!
I will (hopefully) soon get my social security number, which will allow me to work and go for a drivers license. It will hopefully open alot of new doors for me, plus, i found a pottery class that sounds like fun so i signed up for it. It starts somewhere halfway october!
I've been locked up for so many months it's even a bit scary now to be thrown in a group of new people but I am also SO excited about it.
I've never done pottery before but it always looked like messy fun to me and it looked so hot in "Ghost"

i did decide to do it on my own, i'll be more likely to meet new people if i'm there without corey i'll have to turn to other people.
i'm so excited!

@ Goodpasture: If you're ever near Enid send me a message it could be fun to meet up for a coffee or something

Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 PM

Great, Belgian Pea. I'm happy to hear your good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma