Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times

Advertisements

Kite Eating Tree made some EXCELLENT points!

I live in North Omaha - but not in what I'd consider "true ghetto North O." I'm up a little closer to Immanuel Hospital.

I think there are several things that play into the persistent stereotypes of North O. You have ignorance, you have fear, and you have racism.

Are people aware of the fact that Omaha North High School is one of the premier high schools in the state? My daughter is about to graduate from there. During her years there she has not had one single incident, not one fear, not one anything... Furthermore, it is a magnet school with a rapidly-growing enrollment, that is drawing kids from all over the metro area. But you'd never know it, because the local news media won't report on anything good - especially if it's in North O.

Are people aware of the fact that the shootings in North O are all gang & drug related, and that almost every one of them happens in specific locations? People need to realize that there are not rogue bands of thugs that are just wandering through neighborhoods murdering people.

And I think we should be honest about the role racism plays in the stereotypes of North O. Just yesterday I spoke with a man who hates blacks. He claims that he has "never once had a good experience with a black person." Nevermind the fact that he lives in Council Bluffs, and has had NO experiences with black people. He just knows he hates blacks, and that they're all a bunch of gang-bangers, theives and murderers. What's truly unfortunate is that our local news media perpetuates some of those stereotypes. My family, on the other hand, lives in a black neighborhood and we've had nothing but wonderful experiences with our neighbors. Not one problem. Period.

I suppose the best advice is that if you're a racist, or you're scared of old town Omaha, you need to stay away from North O. Leave us alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Anything North of Blondo and east of 72nd street is considered North Omaha.

If Benson is not considered North Omaha, then what is Florence considered?

Both are small towns on the northeast side of town.

I would not consider living in that area of town, even if DTOLUV bought it for me.
Actually, if you're using 72nd and Dodge to divide the city in quadrants, much like OPD does, then anything north of Dodge would be "north" Omaha. West of 72nd would be "northwest" Omaha and east of 72nd would be "northeast" Omaha.

Kite eating tree already explained it, but there is a difference between the general designation of "north" omaha and North Omaha proper.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 AM

61 posts, read 183,308 times
I consider North East Omaha to be from 72nd and Maple down around the curve of Radial and down Cuming. I like North Omaha the most next to the best stuff closer to downtown. The only thing I wouldn't do is walk down Ames at night, theres usually many people on foot, but I dont walk anywhere anyway.

Last edited by MR.JEFFY; 03-27-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha