Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:02 PM

175 posts, read 442,351 times

Advertisements

They didn't seem to have a hard time understanding the word No when they were instructing the homeless (whom many are mentally insane) on how to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,551,779 times
Recall: It's about unions

Recall: It's about unions - Omaha.com

Steve LeClair and Aaron Hansen IMO are very suspect and could care less about the well being on others. all they care about is money.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM

817 posts, read 1,771,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Regardless, it doesn't look good when this Forward Omaha group takes such aggressive action...being told NO three times!
Actually they were told no for different things (rides to the poll and voter training are two VERY different things). It would be one thing if they had asked about the same thing. Now the combination of the two is a bit fishy, but still legal.

Also last I checked the street is public property so in reality they did not need permission to pick up these people. I know because my work does not want the mission to pick up or drop off at our door but we have no legal foot to stand on in telling them (we did tell them and they are complying, but legally they do not have to).

Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,197,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
All of that will go through the same verification process as any other election.
Exactly. They have to be citizens of Omaha and registered to vote on this.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,623,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Exactly. They have to be citizens of Omaha and registered to vote on this.
I think it's a valid question. I absolutely agree that we need to respect a person's basic rights to vote...but why did Hillary Clinton have to buy a house and establish residency in NY to run for the Senate? Aren't there basic residency requirements?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 PM

14,565 posts, read 23,092,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Recall: It's about unions

Recall: It's about unions - Omaha.com

Steve LeClair and Aaron Hansen IMO are very suspect and could care less about the well being on others. all they care about is money.
It always makes me laugh hysterically when the public acts all indignant at the union not keeping their interests at heart. LeClair and Hansen, as the heads of their respective unions, are tasked with getting the absolute best possible deal they can for their members. It's not their job to worry about whether your property taxes are too high. That's what the city is for.

/rant

Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 PM

262 posts, read 1,026,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It always makes me laugh hysterically when the public acts all indignant at the union not keeping their interests at heart. LeClair and Hansen, as the heads of their respective unions, are tasked with getting the absolute best possible deal they can for their members. It's not their job to worry about whether your property taxes are too high. That's what the city is for.

/rant
You didn't disagree with anything billiefan2000 said.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:42 AM

14,565 posts, read 23,092,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighusker View Post
You didn't disagree with anything billiefan2000 said.
No ****. What point do you think I was trying to make?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 AM

906 posts, read 1,812,310 times
Seems to me like the homeless are being viewed as second class citizens. Do they have the right to vote? Yes. Are they grown adults? Yes. Do they have problems? Yes, but so do you. Did they sit through a training for $5 that none of you would sit through? Yes. To me, this all sounds like pre-civil war talk about African Americans.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,623,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Seems to me like the homeless are being viewed as second class citizens. Do they have the right to vote? Yes. Are they grown adults? Yes. Do they have problems? Yes, but so do you. Did they sit through a training for $5 that none of you would sit through? Yes. To me, this all sounds like pre-civil war talk about African Americans.
Do they live in Omaha? How do you know? Can I go to the Election Commissioner's office and claim to be homeless with no proof, thus allowing me to vote? I don't actually live inside the city limits...but can I just claim to? Is proof of residency not a fundamental requirement to vote? I honestly don't care if you own a home or rent, or live in a cardboard box--if you actually live inside the city and are qualified to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha