Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:24 PM

28 posts, read 81,192 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of Omaha houses for sale in the $50,000 to $75,000 range built in the late-1800's and early-1900's.

Aside from age, are these homes cheaper because they're terribly inefficient with energy costs? If the heating and cooling bills are double or triple that of a newer home, I could understand the lower home value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat22 View Post
I see a lot of Omaha houses for sale in the $50,000 to $75,000 range built in the late-1800's and early-1900's.

Aside from age, are these homes cheaper because they're terribly inefficient with energy costs? If the heating and cooling bills are double or triple that of a newer home, I could understand the lower home value.
Several reasons

1) Housing in Omaha, for the most part, is extremely affordable. The cost of living is one of the lowest of any metropolitan area in the country.

2) Over time, Omaha has expanded westward, leaving many homes in the older eastern part of the city available for low prices.

3) Older homes are generally less energy efficient, but many of them have been upgraded over the years and carry only a small premium on the purchase price. Even a non-upgraded home is generally cheap enough that its still a great deal after the costs of upgrading.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:41 AM

696 posts, read 1,726,159 times
If you are really budget conscious regardless the age of the house,
request a copy of the last years utility bills. Check the age and efficiency of
the heating cooling system also.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,006 times
There's an irrational mindset in Omaha that the further west you live, and the more dependent on a car you are, the better off your status. It doesn't have anything to do with utility bills.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM

29 posts, read 67,478 times
And another thing to keep in mind is that brand new houses in the suburbs can be bought for $160,000, which is relatively cheap anyway (if you look at the national housing market). I think in most cities, smaller older houses are about 1/3 of the price of new ones, the scale is just a little more exaggerated.

There's nothing wrong with living in an older house. I prefer it, actually!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 PM

I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but inefficient homes are really annoying because gas and electric costs are getting more and more expensive. Even out here on the west coast, I've seen poorly insulated homes lead to the early demise of an air conditioning or furnace unit.

Having said all this, I feel like a hypocrite because I'd prefer an attached garage that I can keep heated on certain occasions. I enjoy working with my hands, building or fixing things, changing my own oil, hobby activities, etc. During the winter, I'd be miserable in a detached garage without heat.

Does anyone know about what time attached garages became common?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,240 times
I would assume attached garages became common around the 50's as thats when americas love afair with the automobile really set in. All I can say is in my neighborhood not one house has an attached garage and the houses were mostly built from 1880-1915. Even the few newer (1940's) all have detached garages.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
I would assume attached garages became common around the 50's as thats when americas love afair with the automobile really set in. All I can say is in my neighborhood not one house has an attached garage and the houses were mostly built from 1880-1915. Even the few newer (1940's) all have detached garages.
Are the detached garages in your neighborhood set up with electricity?

What I mean by that is besides a garage door opener would there be outlets for lighting and power tools, or would I need to have electrical work done?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:55 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Setting up a detached garage with electricity is a rather simple venture. Same goes for heating and cooling as there are many options on the market, most of them rather affordable.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Setting up a detached garage with electricity is a rather simple venture. Same goes for heating and cooling as there are many options on the market, most of them rather affordable.
You mean simple if you do it illegally?

Out here, the building inspector's interpretations of building codes are, shall we say, unusual in a best case scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: