Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 PM

14,571 posts, read 23,116,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat22 View Post
You mean simple if you do it illegally?

Out here, the building inspector's interpretations of building codes are, shall we say, unusual in a best case scenario.
No, you can do it legally and without much issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 PM

28 posts, read 81,292 times
As time goes on -- and the houses get older -- do you think they will retain their value? I was always taught it's foolish to finance a depreciable asset (i.e. car) because you'll never get back the interest you have to pay. Granted, the interest on a $80,000 house shouldn't be too bad unless you wait 30 years to pay the mortgage off. Just wondering...

Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
As time goes on -- and the houses get older -- do you think they will retain their value? I was always taught it's foolish to finance a depreciable asset (i.e. car) because you'll never get back the interest you have to pay. Granted, the interest on a $80,000 house shouldn't be too bad unless you wait 30 years to pay the mortgage off. Just wondering...
The Omaha housing market is pretty stable and generally immune to big swings one way or another, so you should be fine.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM

65 posts, read 123,761 times
Older homes are less energy efficient in that they are not air tight. However, they were designed to be more efficient than newer homes in some important ways. For example, windows in older homes were positioned to facilitate cross ventilation in the summer. This means I can keep my house (1885) cooler and run the A/C less often. My house also uses radiant heat, which is more efficient than forced air. As far as wearing out the equipment, my boiler is from 1909 is cranking just fine.

I think that MountainMen hit on an important point. If you travel to many other cities, the housing stock near downtown and other urban neighborhoods is highly valued. Omaha has a very suburban mindset - people here seem to really love their urban sprawl. I believe that this is changing, and will certainly change with the younger generations buying property. However, because it is in the process of changing, there are many excellent homes that can be had without having to pay the suburban prices. By the way, I have an attached garage, but it is attached via a tunnel from the basement.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:17 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,244,079 times
Something else that no one has mentioned is that an older house, particularly if it's been through a few owners, will often need work. Serious work.
New wiring, new plumbing, replacing that soft spot where the bathtub used to leak, etc.

Personally, I love an old house, too. I grew up in a beautiful 1914 3-story Craftsman style. My folks still live in it.
The honey-do list on a house of that vintage is never ending.
It's not hard to turn one into a money pit.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:54 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,176,377 times
Quote:
I see a lot of Omaha houses for sale in the $50,000 to $75,000 range built in the late-1800's and early-1900's.

Aside from age, are these homes cheaper because they're terribly inefficient with energy costs? If the heating and cooling bills are double or triple that of a newer home, I could understand the lower home value.
That and they are in constant need of attention. I have a home that is right at 100 years old. I won't tell you what I've done, or the last owner, or the one before that. Let's just say, it's a work in progress. Still I love this old place.........if it doesn't kill me.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,176,377 times
Quote:
As long as you maintain the place, and the neighborhood doesn't go to pot on you.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 PM

32 posts, read 95,404 times
Alot of those older homes sit in not so desirable neighborhoods as well so this is a BIG factor as to why they priced so low. You take some of those 2000 sq foot homes and place them on half an acre somewhere out west you would add a LOT to the price. What is it they always say, location location location!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 PM

124 posts, read 167,337 times
Quote:
I see a lot of Omaha houses for sale in the $50,000 to $75,000 range built in the late-1800's and early-1900's.

Aside from age, are these homes cheaper because they're terribly inefficient with energy costs? If the heating and cooling bills are double or triple that of a newer home, I could understand the lower home value.
First and foremost, it has to do with location. Some of these "cheap" houses are in undesirable areas.

Second, it is extremely important to remember that you CAN do MANY things to make an old house extremely efficient. My family lives in a 4400 square foot, 2-1/2 story brick house, that was built in 1928. Our total heat & utility cost is $150 per month (gas, electricity, garbage, water & sewer). Very few houses, smaller and newer than ours, are that efficient!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:37 AM

Just for the record, alot of these affordable houses are NOT in "undesirable" areas. I can go on any Omaha realtors website and without much effort find you a handful of >$100,000 houses in perfectly decent blue collar neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: