Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM

39 posts, read 84,412 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving from San Antonio to one of these areas (to be closer to family)…..Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Omaha or Lincoln. You can always find out the best things about a city, but what is the worst? What do you dislike about living in Omaha (besides the weather)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
CCJ

55 posts, read 168,802 times
We just moved here from San Antonio last June. And right now, I can't think of anything I really dislike (since you ruled out weather!). Oh wait.... the cost to register your vehicle is so much higher than TX. And state income taxes, those suck too. Otherwise, nothing to complain about.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:28 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Taxes are pretty high. Weather can be cold and snowy in the winter.

I wish we had a real major league sports team.

Other than that, it's really a pretty decent place to live.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times
The worst thing about the city? The whiners! Those who complain about EVERYTHING! Omaha is really a nice city with average taxes and highly affordable housing. The job market is strong and crime is low for a city the size of Omaha. I know dozens of people here from both the east and west coasts and they have nothing but praise for the city.

Second would be the drivers in the city. As a cyclist I am tired of people failing to yield to a cyclists when they have a right of way. Now not all are bad, and some are downright pleasant. But it only takes a few. As you will likely be a motorist, watch out for those failing to stop at intersections and failing to signal their turn. Both of which drives me nuts.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:33 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
My only real dislike was how spread out Omaha is. Taking 30-45 mins to go across town really sucked.

(still homesick)

Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 PM

415 posts, read 449,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
We just moved here from San Antonio last June. And right now, I can't think of anything I really dislike (since you ruled out weather!). Oh wait.... the cost to register your vehicle is so much higher than TX. And state income taxes, those suck too. Otherwise, nothing to complain about.
Low taxes, but also low spending, which you can see and feel. Low taxes isn't always that great if you consider other factors.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 PM

163 posts, read 376,603 times
I'll try to be objective here, but let it be known that overall, I have a pretty negative opinion of Omaha.

- While not a haven for walkers or cyclists at any point, as you get farther and father west, the city becomes very car-centric. If you're not used to needing to drive everywhere, it can take some getting used to.

- I have a bone to pick with motorists, as well. Everyone has local horror stories about drivers, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but Omaha drivers are pretty bad. Very inconsiderate (you need to seize your lane abruptly, it's pretty uncommon to signal a merge and not have the driver speed up to block you or pass you.)

- The culture. This will be different for everyone, since we all have different experiences which we have to contrast our current situations to. So again, take what I say in a framed off context, and see if perhaps you'd be able to relate. The zeitgeist in Omaha is really at odds with me. The people in the city are big on their drinking, and drunk driving is quite prevalent. It's not something that's talked about a whole lot, but it's almost expected among young people to have been pulled over for a DUI. It's almost a badge of honor-- "I can't believe I blew a .23!" Etc.
A lot of people (and I notice this more in West O, more than anywhere else) have a huge inferiority complex about the city. There's no such thing as constructive criticism, it's all met with hostility. A lot of people (I wouldn't venture to say "most") want Omaha to be on the same tier as major metropolitan cities, when it's simply not. Personally, I think Omaha is on the third or fourth tier down. There's nothing wrong with that, but people get really, really defensive if you bring up anything that would suggest maybe that Omaha isn't all that great.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
I've gotta tell you guys, you have it great on drivers. You may feel like they're bad but they are not in comparison to these Tampa drivers. I was a 'driver' in Omaha for 10 years (i'm 26), and compared to these drivers in FL, they are perfection. Tampa drivers are horrendous, so you guys have it EASY on Omaha in comparison. Dont take them for granted

Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM

163 posts, read 376,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I've gotta tell you guys, you have it great on drivers. You may feel like they're bad but they are not in comparison to these Tampa drivers. I was a 'driver' in Omaha for 10 years (i'm 26), and compared to these drivers in FL, they are perfection. Tampa drivers are horrendous, so you guys have it EASY on Omaha in comparison. Dont take them for granted
Very true. I spent some time in St. Petersburg and Tampa when I was first learning to drive. Florida drivers in general were insane.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,100 times
Only that I'm not living there (homesick too!)

Honestly- only that it takes awhile to drive anywhere that is geographically different (mnts, sea, desert, BIG cities, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha