Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:18 PM

217 posts, read 891,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
$250K got me a 2000 sq ft 3br 2 bath ranch on a postage stamp lot. It is a nice home but no mansion, believe me. If you are paying $3K in taxes on a 912 sq ft home, then $7K for 2000 sq ft should be right in line with where you are, which also sounds very high, but I'll bet you did not have a temperature of minus 2 this morning. Get me outta here........
Here a 2000 square foot home 3 beds 2 baths would run you about 300k. at least. To us it is a deal. The taxes are the same, but the cost of the actual home is less. We also have teh sales tax and state income tax too. We do get pretty cold here too, and very hot in the summer. When my brother went there, he could not beilve people thought Omaha was expensive. To us it is a deal. How much is a gallon of gas( low grade) there now? We are down to 2.33 at the best deal in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 01:28 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times
I don't drive anymore but I think gas in Omaha is just over $2.00. I always got gas in Iowa though where it's cheaper. One place I always went was 10-12 cents cheaper than Omaha so it's probably $1.90+ over there.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:10 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,868 times
Regular unleaded is now 2.19 per gallon. And yes, you do get a bit more house here for your money because it's not a union town. I know I'll take some flak for this but if you did not want to come here (I know I had a choice but I had 35 years invested with my company and could not give that up), and do not enjoy living here, no one will change my mind about this being a great town. Where I am going to retire in 4 years, $250K will get you around 3500 sq ft and the taxes will be around $2K per year, and I can golf and fish all year without freezing my buns off. So if you think this place is such a bargain, then come on over, down or up, depending on where you are. I know people really love it here and that's great, everybody's got to love someplace so I'm not going to bash this town any more on this forum, I'll just do my time for the next 4 years until I can put Omaha in my rear view mirror. And by the way, my snowblower will stay with the house, and yes, we do have sales tax and state income tax also. So long.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Regular unleaded is now 2.19 per gallon. And yes, you do get a bit more house here for your money because it's not a union town. I know I'll take some flak for this but if you did not want to come here (I know I had a choice but I had 35 years invested with my company and could not give that up), and do not enjoy living here, no one will change my mind about this being a great town. Where I am going to retire in 4 years, $250K will get you around 3500 sq ft and the taxes will be around $2K per year, and I can golf and fish all year without freezing my buns off. So if you think this place is such a bargain, then come on over, down or up, depending on where you are. I know people really love it here and that's great, everybody's got to love someplace so I'm not going to bash this town any more on this forum, I'll just do my time for the next 4 years until I can put Omaha in my rear view mirror. And by the way, my snowblower will stay with the house, and yes, we do have sales tax and state income tax also. So long.
Now are you right in Omaha or in a surrounding area? We would not be right in Omaha most likey in Belleuve. You are right, everyone is differant on what city is right for them. We were looking at the south, the taxes are less. The schools are not as good. If you are close to retiring schools are not a big deal to you. Our state sales and stae income tax is about the same. Still the over all cost of living is less.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I don't drive anymore but I think gas in Omaha is just over $2.00. I always got gas in Iowa though where it's cheaper. One place I always went was 10-12 cents cheaper than Omaha so it's probably $1.90+ over there.
WOW! that is such a steal!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:26 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,868 times
I actually live in Elkhorn, Ne, a small town of about 8000 on the western edge of Omaha, and since I'm trying to make the best of it while I am here, I actually like where I live. People are friendly, you have the small town atmosphere and there is still a lot of open spaces here. However, another gripe I have about this place, Omaha is in the process of annexing Elkhorn and if the town being annexed is under 10,000 population, it has no say in the annexation, Omaha has the right to just gobble it up.

I work with people who live in Bellevue and they say they like it. It is more of a transient community, though, because of the air base there. I have visited people there and our department picnics are held in a park in Bellevue and it seems nice enough.

Something to keep in mind, as I type this note, it is minus 2 degrees with a pretty stiff wind so it will definitely be an indoor weekend.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:54 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,883 times
I think many Elkhorn residents think that life was some how going to remain the same, if Omaha didn't annex it (even a few envisioning bus loads of homeless people and crack addicts coming out to greet new Omaha citizens :P ). Development has been marching westward towards Elkhorn for years... this 'small town' would run over by suburban development whether it remained an independent city or not. The only difference would be... that the city of Omaha, which offers most of the cultural/entertainment/infrastructure amenities which -metro- area residents use... would not be able to tap it's population for tax revenue to help sustain those amenities (example: Qwest Center, Holland Center, Rosenblatt, roads which bedroom community residents use to get to their Omaha jobs, etc, etc). If you just let everyone continue to migrate further from the core, without being able to capture that growth... then a core city withers... much like you see in many other cities, which have more strict annexation laws, today.

Rest assured... Elkhorn will still be 'Elkhorn' (just as we still have Millard, Dundee, Florence, South Omaha, etc). The services will go virtually unchanged... you may not know the name of the police officer coming to your assistance (although I question how many in the new suburban parts of Elkhorn know, individual officer names, themselves either)... you'll have access to more libraries, the trash service is free... it sounds like there'll even be an Elkhorn/far west representative added to the city council... most of the public officials will be added to the city of Omaha payroll. Life will go on... few will notice a change.

Last edited by star_gazer; 02-03-2007 at 01:03 PM..

Old 02-04-2007, 01:14 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Smile ArrowThruTheMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowThruTheMoon View Post
dennismpat, i grew up in Glendale, CA so I have the California perspective.
Cool! I'm glad to read another Californian's perspective on Omaha.

Quote:
Omaha is a city that I have a love-hate relationship with. I visited there a few times, and have some friends who live there. I love the pace of life, the space and the suprisingly good food (although I shouldn't have been so suprised about that, I have never seen so many ginormously huge people in my life). I hate that there are no mountains near-by (trust me you will miss 'em).
I've also visited there a number of times because I have friends who live in the area. And you're right about the good food, considering the area isn't a huge megalopolis like L.A. And yes, I did notice the number of "ginormous" people (but we have our share of them here in supposedly health-conscious California! )

Regarding mountains, you're right that there aren't any in Nebraska. However, I was surprised when I first visited how hilly it is, going from downtown to the suburban areas out west.

Quote:
I was there in Januray last year and it went down to 6 degrees one morning... that's enough to put most people off.
I'll bet the middle of winter is when you can get some really good deals on airfare, huh? I can't even begin to imagine how COLD 6 degrees is!!!

Quote:
But you know what, with all that it does seem a good place to raise a family, the economy is sound (the world's 2nd richest man lives in Omaha) and some of the best managed companies are based in Omaha. Those guys have been pushing for the very regeneration projects the place needs for years.
I fully agree with this.

Quote:
It looks from Star__Gazer's images that things are moving ahead... (the Riverfront is also been getting a make-over)

While Omaha will never be a Californian paradise, I have a soft-spot for the place and could see myself living there.
Yes, the downtown area especially seems to be getting a bigger skyline, and looking nicer all the time. You have to also remember that Nebraska is NOT California! Like you, I have a soft spot for Omaha and could easily see myself living there (my friends have been trying to get me to move there since 1987, so going on 20 years!). But, my family all live here in California, and can't see themselves as leaving, despite the negative aspects of life here.

Quote:
... oh and one other thing, I've been living in London, UK with all the glitz worked in Washington D.C. and yet and I never found a suitable engagement ring for my girlfriend, I walked into one of the malls in Omaha (I think they call it Crossroads) and spoted the winner! (but don't tell her it's from Omaha)
Congratulations on the engagement! Yes, I've been to Crossroads Mall (72nd and Dodge, I think?). My friends live in West Omaha, so the closest malls to them are Westroads and Oak View (which is closer). For a city its size, lots of nice places to go shopping, even more malls than Indianapolis.

By the way, regarding your girlfriend's engagement ring---don't worry, your secret's safe with me!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 38,682 times
Quote:
$250K got me a 2000 sq ft 3br 2 bath ranch on a postage stamp lot. It is a nice home but no mansion, believe me. If you are paying $3K in taxes on a 912 sq ft home, then $7K for 2000 sq ft should be right in line with where you are, which also sounds very high, but I'll bet you did not have a temperature of minus 2 this morning. Get me outta here........

That is interesting.

$295K got me a 3,900 sq ft , 4bd 4 bath, 1 year old home that sits on 1/2 an acre lot that is fenced. It has travertine, wood floors, granite counter tops, stainless steel, and a 3 car garage.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,883 times
You know what they say... "location, location, location"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha