Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygoodheart View Post
I'm a 37 year old black guy who grew up in one of the most dangerous housing projects in Chicago "Cabrini Green." I've seen large quantities of drugs being sold and major assault weapons in the hands of drug dealers and gangbangers. A lot of the killing between young black guys are solely based on economics. The drug dealer wore the nicest clothes and drove the nicest cars in the hood. Maybe someone can honestly answer a question for me. Where and how does the drugs and guns make it into the poorest black and Hispanic communities? Planes and boats for transporting drugs and guns cost a lot of money, I know blacks don't this type of distribution system!
Haha. Watch the series gangland. In particular the episode the Black Mafia Family of Atlanta. They even devoted a few episodes to your old home town and one particular that focused on Cabrini Green and detailed it's history. Honestly Chicago and other cities should have done what the cities back during the Middle Ages did that successfully contained the bubonic plague did. Yes this crime plague should be dealt with by harsh measures. Maybe then the gangs would learn that it is better to commit suicide then commit crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Haha. Watch the series gangland. In particular the episode the Black Mafia Family of Atlanta. They even devoted a few episodes to your old home town and one particular that focused on Cabrini Green and detailed it's history. Honestly Chicago and other cities should have done what the cities back during the Middle Ages did that successfully contained the bubonic plague did. Yes this crime plague should be dealt with by harsh measures. Maybe then the gangs would learn that it is better to commit suicide then commit crime.
What harsh measures from the Middle Ages are you suggesting?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What harsh measures from the Middle Ages are you suggesting?
When the black death was seen the houses, inns where a plague victim was were mortared up with the whole group of those that had been in close contact with the person. No one was allowed to leave under penalty of death. No one escaped. Cities that did this had very few cases of the black death. Other places that didn't do this a lot of them were wiped out completely.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
When the black death was seen the houses, inns where a plague victim was were mortared up with the whole group of those that had been in close contact with the person. No one was allowed to leave under penalty of death. No one escaped. Cities that did this had very few cases of the black death. Other places that didn't do this a lot of them were wiped out completely.
1) Isn't this unconstitutional?
2) Alot of gang members don't care if they live or die, and often expect to die early deaths, so they don't care if they take anyone else with them.
3) We have prisons to lock people up if they commit crimes.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 PM

1. I said harsh measure. Lots of things that have been acceptably done in this country in the name and justice have been declared unconstitutional and things that are declared constitutional have been declared unconstitutional later on. Then you have things that are still on the books yet have not been overruled such as
Buck v. Bell which could be used to put back laws that force the sterilization of criminals.

2. So why should people complain then about the death penalty being applied in such a particular manner when it removes the gang members in a highly efficient and dramatic matter? Said matter will cause people to feel that law and order is quickly enforced and powerful whereas right now people feel that the cops are powerless and lash out due to the feeling that the cops are powerless against the gangs. Doing this to the gangs will make people not afraid of the gangs and instead feel that the law is all powerful and fear the wrath of the law if they ever break it.

3. And guess what gang members don't care if they get locked up. It's just a place where they can get dates. There is no deterrent factor nor rehabilitation for these people. They view it as a life. When it should be viewed as their death and their desire to be worm food or be put into a garbage incinerator to be burned along with the rest of the trash so be granted to them post haste.

Now as I said this would be a harsh measure. Said harsh measure would get a lot of public support if the gangs really did something nasty and went so out of control the liberals basically turn the cities where this occurring into glass and salt the earth. Ever seen the movie Dredd? Yeah the gangs think the police hate then now? The gangs should be thankful the law protects them otherwise they would be hunted down en masse like other countries would have done to them in the past.

Those riots in LA back in 1992 most people still to this day do not realize that every fire was set by a gang member in a planned coordinated attack. That all of that chaos in those riots and the attacks and stores/businesses that cost billions of dollars was organized by the gangs in Los Angeles. If people had known that day one then you would have calls for the military to come in and shoot to kill on sight every single one of the over 20,000 gang members in LA. That all of the gang members would have also been called to be immediately executed.

Last edited by d from birmingham; 02-25-2014 at 09:51 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Quote:
I have some even more sad news. Nebraska, as a state, has the highest Black homicide rate in the nation.

Nebraska has the highest black homicide rate in U.S., national group says - Omaha.com

Nebraska Ranks #1 for Black Homicide Victimization Rate (01/23/2014)

I've done some more research into this. One thing I've noticed is that the Black homicide rate in Nebraska is just one part of a larger problem. The Black homicide rate highlights alot of contrasts within Nebraska. And it is stuff that few people ever imagine.

-Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. It has a low White unemployment rate, among the lowest in the nation. It has a strong economy, especially in the energy sector. However, it has one of the highest Black unemployment rates in the nation.

-Omaha has the 5th highest poverty rate among Blacks in the USA.
-Omaha has the highest child poverty rate among Blacks in the USA.
-Omaha has 2nd highest economic disparity between Blacks and Whites in the USA.
-Nebraska has the 3rd lowest high school graduation rate among Black males

The Black homicide rate in Nebraska is small part of many other problems that plague the Black population in Nebraska. And in some ways, it represents a stark contrast between the White population in Nebraska and the Black population in Nebraska.
You are apparently getting some of this data from Wikipedia, but do note the poverty data and income disparity figures are from a 2007 article. Have you ever been to Omaha? You talk like you know more than the people that are from the area. In any given year at least half of the murders in the city are gang related. Look at a map and you will see a concentration of these shootings and homicides in certain areas of the city. The schools are quite good in Omaha but the student has to be there to learn and graduate. The parent too has to be doing their job keeping tabs on their kids and pushing them to study and stay in school. Job opportunities for those that quit school early are very limited. Illegal activities pay much more than Burger King and are less time consuming. The stark contrast is some finish school and are working others leave school early and are unemployed. There are plenty of working poor whites and Hispanic folks in Omaha, Lincoln and in small towns in Nebraska. None are living the high life. I've seen many young black people working in fast food places, retail stores, offices and so on. They all are contributing and trying to help themselves and hopefully they will move ahead in life. But they had to make an effort. Here's a story about a job training program that has helped teens find work. The young girl featured in the piece had the right work ethic and was proud and happy to have the job. She will make something of herself for sure. But not everyone applies for programs and puts out the effort this young lady has either.
Job Training Program Helps Teens Find Work

The graduation rate for Black Male students for the nation as a whole in 2009/10 was 52%. Figures for Latino, males 60%. The graduation rate for White, non-Latino males was 78%. So while Nebraska may be very low at 44 percent, South Carolina, Ohio, Illinois, Delaware, and Florida are all 47 percent or less. And due note Georgia is only at 49 percent. So this is not a problem unique to one state or part of the country. It is a problem across the country. Who is responsible to keep their kids in line and leading them by example as a proper role model? Shouldn't ultimate responsibility rest on the parent(s)? National Table Data – The Urgency of Now

Did you happen to read the story about the 5 year old girl that was shot and killed as she sat eating breakfast in her own house? A stray bullet went through the wall and hit this dear child. Young thugs were shooting at one another at 9am on a weekday? Why weren't they in school or at work like most people would be that time of day? Because they are young thug gangsters.

“Blacks in America are disproportionately affected by homicides,” said Josh Sugarmann, executive director of the Violence Policy Center and the report’s co-author. And who is doing the shooting? Most often it is young black males. Take a look at North Dakota ranked 10th in the survey with only 2 percent black, they had 2 homicides, so their homicide rate per 100,000 was 21.99. That sounds high but I'd venture to say one is safer in North Dakota as a law abiding citizen than in North Omaha in as a young thug. I think the worth of this survey has been a little blown out of proportion compared to the larger overall problems that exist.

I would argue that these gangsters do value their life perhaps afraid of dying. Look at those that have made a deal to escape the death penalty, and you don't see people on death row all ready to give up their appeals and say kill me now. They don't want to die, most have families and kids they still see on visits.

Last edited by todd00; 02-26-2014 at 05:49 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 AM

152 posts, read 244,641 times
Quote:
I have some even more sad news. Nebraska, as a state, has the highest Black homicide rate in the nation.

Nebraska has the highest black homicide rate in U.S., national group says - Omaha.com

Nebraska Ranks #1 for Black Homicide Victimization Rate (01/23/2014)

I've done some more research into this. One thing I've noticed is that the Black homicide rate in Nebraska is just one part of a larger problem. The Black homicide rate highlights alot of contrasts within Nebraska. And it is stuff that few people ever imagine.

-Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. It has a low White unemployment rate, among the lowest in the nation. It has a strong economy, especially in the energy sector. However, it has one of the highest Black unemployment rates in the nation.

-Omaha has the 5th highest poverty rate among Blacks in the USA.
-Omaha has the highest child poverty rate among Blacks in the USA.
-Omaha has 2nd highest economic disparity between Blacks and Whites in the USA.
-Nebraska has the 3rd lowest high school graduation rate among Black males

The Black homicide rate in Nebraska is small part of many other problems that plague the Black population in Nebraska. And in some ways, it represents a stark contrast between the White population in Nebraska and the Black population in Nebraska.
Where do you live? Do you live in North Omaha? Why are you presuming to post things like this, about Omaha, with such authority?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:38 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old General View Post
Where do you live? Do you live in North Omaha? Why are you presuming to post things like this, about Omaha, with such authority?
The authority comes from the Violence Policy Center, which analyzes the data and makes it public knowledge. You don't have to live in North O to read crime stats.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 AM

152 posts, read 244,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
The authority comes from the Violence Policy Center, which analyzes the data and makes it public knowledge. You don't have to live in North O to read crime stats.
But you should have some understanding about the community you're speaking about, before speaking about a community.

Citing facts is one thing - even if they're skewed. Giving running commentary is quite another.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:21 PM

I'm back. I was busy for a bit. I was not trying to make any broad sweeping statements. That was not my intention. I am aware that there are hard-working Black people in Nebraska. My point was this. When I look at the statistics for Nebraska's Black population, what stuck out to me was the stark contrasts in Nebraska, as oppose to other states. That is what I was specifically speaking about.

I am aware that Black high school graduate rates are bad in other states. In Georgia, it is bad. However, it is also kind of bad for White students too. Education in general in Georgia is bottom of the barrell. I am aware that there are poor White people in Nebraska.

I was talking specifically about the statistics and what was driving them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha