Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 PM

152 posts, read 244,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm back. I was busy for a bit. I was not trying to make any broad sweeping statements. That was not my intention. I am aware that there are hard-working Black people in Nebraska. My point was this. When I look at the statistics for Nebraska's Black population, what stuck out to me was the stark contrasts in Nebraska, as oppose to other states. That is what I was specifically speaking about.

I am aware that Black high school graduate rates are bad in other states. In Georgia, it is bad. However, it is also kind of bad for White students too. Education in general in Georgia is bottom of the barrell. I am aware that there are poor White people in Nebraska.

I was talking specifically about the statistics and what was driving them.
You need to understand that about 98% of all the blacks living in Nebraska are living in a small area of North Omaha, which is THE most impoverished area in the entire state. And yes, poverty plays a HUGE role in crime!

But understand also that, compared to other regions, Nebraska has very few blacks. Approximately 88,000 in the entire state. Compare that to the almost 600,000 blacks who live in Detroit. That means that - by percentage - there could be 6 black homicides in Detroit for every 1 in Nebraska, and Nebraska would still rank higher and as "more dangerous for blacks."

Detroit had 386 black homicides in 2012, Omaha had 40 - most of which were confined to about 6 neighborhoods that I could quickly and easily name. So far this year we've had 2 homicides in Omaha. At this rate (and we all know this won't hold) that would be only 12-13 homicides this year.

But idiots LOVE to spew headlines like, "WELCOME TO OMAHA NEBRASKA: THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN AMERICA TO BE BLACK."

Now let's add in one other factor: Virtually NONE of these black homicides in Omaha are random. It might be 1 per year - such as the beautiful little 5-year old girl that was accidentally shot about a month ago. They are all gang & drug related. They happen in specific locations, and they almost always happen during the wee hours of the morning. Finally - FINALLY - the Omaha media has started openly admitting that any/all of these shootings are by rival gang members.

So... If you are a white person living in North Omaha, you have virtually NOTHING to fear. Ever. And even if you are a black person living in North Omaha, if you are NOT involved in gangs & drugs, you have virtually NOTHING to fear.

People need to THINK FIRST, and WRITE SECOND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,950 times
Quote:
So... If you are a white person living in North Omaha, you have virtually NOTHING to fear.
Unless a gang initiation is occurring and they pick you as the victim, or you become an accidental victim due to the gang's crappy aim, or the gang decides to rob or decides to pick on you because you are white etc.

Quote:
. And even if you are a black person living in North Omaha, if you are NOT involved in gangs & drugs, you have virtually NOTHING to fear.
See white person above for most of the reasons why a white person has to fear the black gang members in Omaha. Get a concealed carry permit and take classes on how to use that gun. Turn a gang member into worm food and make the world a better place and the worms need food.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 PM

817 posts, read 1,770,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Unless a gang initiation is occurring and they pick you as the victim, or you become an accidental victim due to the gang's crappy aim, or the gang decides to rob or decides to pick on you because you are white etc.

See white person above for most of the reasons why a white person has to fear the black gang members in Omaha. Get a concealed carry permit and take classes on how to use that gun. Turn a gang member into worm food and make the world a better place and the worms need food.
So your solution to the gun violence is more guns? I suppose your answer to alcoholism is more alcohol then. We need fewer guns on the street, not more. I'm sorry but these conceal carry nutters scare me more than the gang members.

Old General had it correct. Nearly all homicides in Omaha are gang related and nearly all know their killer. Random killings are rare. If you keep your nose clean and don't wander the streets late at night zou are likely going to be just fine.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM

906 posts, read 1,811,026 times
Quote:
Get a concealed carry permit and take classes on how to use that gun. Turn a gang member into worm food and make the world a better place and the worms need food.
Then 100 gang members come back at you for retaliation. Good luck with that.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Then you have 100 dead more gang members. I don't see a problem. They need to be the ones made to live in fear.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:

See white person above for most of the reasons why a white person has to fear the black gang members in Omaha.
Can you tell me when the last time either of these things happened in North O?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
So your solution to the gun violence is more guns? I suppose your answer to alcoholism is more alcohol then. We need fewer guns on the street, not more. I'm sorry but these conceal carry nutters scare me more than the gang members.

Old General had it correct. Nearly all homicides in Omaha are gang related and nearly all know their killer. Random killings are rare. If you keep your nose clean and don't wander the streets late at night zou are likely going to be just fine.
I'm actually FOR responsible gun ownership, partly because the criminals are going to have them whether they're legal or illegal. Even so, I don't own a gun myself because, though I live in what some people consider "the ghetto" I have no need to fear. I'm no more apt to be victimized than if I lived out in the Millard area.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Actually, that isn't apt to happen unless you're actually part of a gang.

I think you've been watching too many movies.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old General View Post
Can you tell me when the last time either of these things happened in North O?
Bail set at $1 million for men linked to vehicle in shooting case | Local News - KETV Home

5 year old girl at home a block away dies the scene died from bullets fired from gang members who 20 shots during a robbery.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Bail set at $1 million for men linked to vehicle in shooting case | Local News - KETV Home

5 year old girl at home a block away dies the scene died from bullets fired from gang members who 20 shots during a robbery.
Congratulations. You've found the ONE time this has happened in the past 5 years.

Got any more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha