Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:32 PM

152 posts, read 364,869 times

Advertisements

When pitbulls break loose, children pay in blood! It's happened again in Omaha. Toothless new ordinances are merely a ploy to increase dog registration fees without actually solving the pitbull problem. Ban the breed = less attacks and lower registration fees for other dog owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,077 times
I haven't seen the new ordinances. I'm not sure banning the breed would do anything. It would just force people to hide their dogs. Any dog can be trained to be violent just as any dog can be trained to be gentle. Pitbulls raised from a puppy can be very gentle and non-agressive.

That being said, dogs are animals. Just about any dog (not just a pitbull) can be set off given the right circumstances. No matter how well they are trained. Once a dog starts attacking they are basically possessed, they will not respond to an owners commands or other outside influences. All dogs can snap, millions of people get bitten by dogs every year. Not just by pitbulls though.

Certain breeds are more dangerous when they begin attacking. There are a handful of dogs that were basically built for fighting. They have a very strong bite, high stamina, and have a high pain threshold. This means when you are being attacked they will probably not respond to you gouging their eye, or punching them in the face. Some dogs will fight to the death. Some pitbulls have been known to have some or all of these characteristics.

The trouble is that even if you ban "pitbulls" there are still mixed breeds that are just as dangerous that will not be banned.

So what do you do?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
I understand the argument about "it's the owner"... blah blah blah.

But there's a simple point that if my 15 pound Shi Tzu goes nuts and decides to attack an 8 year old, he's going to do considerably less damage than a 100+ pound pitbull.

What exactly is wrong with a person that they have the need to harbor a potentially dangerous animal?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I understand the argument about "it's the owner"... blah blah blah.

But there's a simple point that if my 15 pound Shi Tzu goes nuts and decides to attack an 8 year old, he's going to do considerably less damage than a 100+ pound pitbull.

What exactly is wrong with a person that they have the need to harbor a potentially dangerous animal
?
Overcompensation.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM

152 posts, read 364,869 times
Even if a ban results in people "hiding" their pitbulls, it will be a success IMO!! When they are found out - they can be destoyed at will, and a hidden animal is less likely to come into contact with innocents -- unless we are talking about the pitbull owners children - and then (while still tragic) is more of a case of natural selection. You know... since pitbull apologists blame lax owners anyways....

But the fact remains that in many cases the very people ATTRACTED TO pitbull ownership are the same people society DOESN'T WANT to own pitbulls.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM

I can guarantee you that if I had been on the scene when the latest 2 to attack did their thing, there would be no discussion of whether or not to put 'em down. I'd have done it right then and there with my bare hands.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,495 times
Default Dogs that can rip your face off

My sister lived next door to a family who owned a "sweet tempered" pit bull. Well, sweet thing decided to chew through the back door and proceed to go after a 7 year old neighbor kid playing in his back yard. Had my brother-in-law not been there with his baseball bat (which stunned the dog long enough for the cops to get there), God knows what would have happened. Pit bulls are unpredictable and are easily spooked---they also have jaws of steel and an amazing amount of PSI pressure in their bite. They were originally bred for fighting. I think it's time to follow Council Bluffs' lead and ban any further ownership.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
My sister lived next door to a family who owned a "sweet tempered" pit bull. Well, sweet thing decided to chew through the back door and proceed to go after a 7 year old neighbor kid playing in his back yard. Had my brother-in-law not been there with his baseball bat (which stunned the dog long enough for the cops to get there), God knows what would have happened. Pit bulls are unpredictable and are easily spooked---they also have jaws of steel and an amazing amount of PSI pressure in their bite. They were originally bred for fighting. I think it's time to follow Council Bluffs' lead and ban any further ownership.
On that note, anyone know what has been the result of the pit bull ban in Council Tucky?

Are there pit bulls that are just not reported/licensed? Are there mixed dogs that are technically not pit bulls, but still maintain all the attributes?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:42 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,384 times
*shakes head in stunned silence*

I cannot believe some people's ignorance.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post

But the fact remains that in many cases the very people ATTRACTED TO pitbull ownership are the same people society DOESN'T WANT to own pitbulls.
Banning the breed won't do anything, the people that YOU don't want to have pitties will still have them, or they'll pick another common dog to teach to fight.. Boxers, labs, german shepherds, hell.. I've seen a lot of collies, heelers, and chihuahuas more aggressive than most pit bulls are.

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ck-styles.html

There are dogs out there that can be just as aggressive as a pit CAN be, if they are not taken care of correctly. Pitties are high energy and need to be trained and paid lots of attention to at an early age. My boss' daughter had the sweetest little pit-girl and she never hurt a fly (okay, I may have seen her eat a few out of the air before, but still)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: