Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:25 PM

92 posts, read 267,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
They all seem to want Americans' business.

The Mexican cops make me more nervous than the citizenry.

Public Domain photo
Definitely agree with the Mexican Policia. I have been illegally obtained and searched by the Mexican Cops, they ended up just taking the last $20 I had and let me go. So then I had to go to an ATM to pay to get my car out of the parking lot (on the US side). But other than the vendors and people running business to make money off of the white tourism, I have found that many Mexicans do not like when white folks visit THEIR country; but they cross the border like it doesn't exist.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM

13 posts, read 28,195 times
Tijuana......two things when it comes to "white" people. Want some chickle (chic-lets) or are you and American GI?

Kosmo Kramer- Tijuana, I spent a month there one night.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:13 AM

11 posts, read 45,148 times
I've lived in OC almost my entire life (since age 4) and so I got somewhat used to the pervasive racism that exists here. But not all white people are racist, and I've found that some areas are less racist than others. Its quite evident though in how I go to my kid's school events and the white parents usually ignore me and the only ones who actually respond to me are the asian or mixed race parents. Or, if a european white person is there, they tend to be more open minded and talk to me as well....
I'm not imagining this...and I am also not angered by it...its just the way things have always been for me.

Another example is how I'll see a few parents at an event, and I've seen them countless times at my kid's previous classroom events or her girlscouts (brownies) meetings, and I've said hi to them before...but when they see me the next time, they talk amongst themselves and barely acknowledge me. If I say hello or ask "how's it going"...they'll answer with a curt reply and then continue talking as if I wasn't there.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,274 times
Default What...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Reminds me of the movie "Billy Jack" or the old "Kung Fu" tv show: one bad white guy after another.

Hard to believe all this happened.

You must be kidding this young man... I am a blackman that has lived in Orange County for 28 years. Everything that the young man has said is typical. 20 of my years here have been near the border between New Port Beach and Costa Mesa.

I can remember being surrounded in an up scale neighborhood where I lived, at the time, by men wearing half of their suits holding knifes, golf clubs and other objects. I had just come home from work (Apple Computers) to find them in my yard about to attack me, because they thought I could be the person who broke into some cars in the neighborhood and stole some CD players. When I asked them if they knew what the person looked like they said, "no".

I reasoned my way out of the problem by talking all 15 of them down by the grace of God. When I came to Orange County they were shouting the *word from their cars as I went down the street. Today its some what better, but in New Port Beach and HB there are still people who live like its still the 1950s and they can say and do whatever they wish to minorities. My choice for the young man is Costa Mesa, CA.

Now, you may wonder why i'm still here. Well, you see, people come to places like OC for better jobs that do lead to a better way of life. But, its sad that there are some who can't tollerate their fellow man.

V

Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,022 times
As a white Irvine resident with two black and white mixed kids, I am regularly facing a hell of a lot of racism- from the police down to the residents. It is definitely NOT a black friendly place, and I will not be subjecting my kids to it for much longer. Boy do I have stories...

Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
I am a black male law student in OC for a summer internship. I'm deciding on a place to stay. I have three options and I'd like to choose one by the end of the day.

My three choices are:

1) Newport: A small room in a medium-sized house, one block from the beach (~40th & Balboa), but two stories, so I can actually see the water from the living room.

2) Irvine: A large room in Dartmouth apartments across from UCI.

3) HB: A medium-sized room in a medium-sized condo conversion, about 3 miles from the water (~Beach & Yorktown).

If you had asked me the three places I'd least like to live in OC, I would name these three cities, but it just so happens that these are my only realistic options.

I lived in OC till I was 15 and I went to UCI as an undergrad, so I have some familiarity with racism in this county.

Newport: I've been called a ****** in Newport more times than my pride cares to recall. I stopped partying there in college because of it. I was afraid I'd end up in jail for fighting some drunk white kid.

Irvine: I was pulled over in Irvine over 30 times in one school year. It was a running joke in college. Most incidents involved searching my car. Not one ticket resulted from these stops, though.

Once I was at a party that police were trying to break up. They arrested me and me only, even though I was not rowdy or violent (I was taught by my mother to be extremely polite and differential to police, in order to avoid the possibility of being injured or killed by them). They probably selected me because I was the tallest person there, had my hair in braids at the time, am black, and was wearing baggy clothing. They handcuffed me and then shoved me to the ground face-first ...hard enough to break the cellphone in my pocket! I didn't think that was necessary.

Huntington: My aunt was gang-raped and beaten by a gang of skinheads here in the 90s. I've heard there are still skinheads in the area.

I stopped by a bar there earlier this week. I was in the bar for less than one minute before a group of white guys at a pool table started a loud conversation about how they love calling black people "*****s" and then daring them to do something. They bragged about having beaten someone up for it. I drank one beer and left.

So, I'm curious: Where do you think I should live? I don't feel comfortable AT ALL in Irvine, but reading the archives suggests that past-posters feel it's actually the most minority-friendly of the three. HB isn't a bad choice, but it's the most boring house of the three. I'd like to live in Newport and look at the ocean while I eat dinner every night, but I feel like I'll be the only black person for miles. I'm not very dark, but I'm not white, and I'm afraid I'll stand out in a negative way. I'd like to live somewhere where I can just live my life and not have to worry about being stared at or treated poorly because I am a young black male.

Thoughts?
I am sorry but I don't believe this, this has to be exaggerated. I grew up in Irvine and my best that also lived there is black and he never had any problems. Some people(mostly coaches) stereotyped him at being good at sports but that is the most that I ever saw.

If this is true than that is a shame that you had to go through that, I didn't realize there were still skinheads here. Irvine should be fine now though, it has diversified and has a lot of people of Asian and Middle Eastern Decent.

forgot to mention the police, it isn't that they are racist(at least most police), they are communists. Whatever fun you try to have they will shut you down.

Last edited by MattClyde; 01-01-2011 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention police

Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I can vouch for the racism playing the Halo series on Xbox Live. I've heard the n-word thrown around enough by rednecks playing a 1st-person shooter to make my skin crawl. And yes, they always happen to have southern accents.
Lol Now its starting to sound like youre just making this stuff up.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM

215 posts, read 1,534,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
I am a black male law student in OC for a summer internship. I'm deciding on a place to stay. I have three options and I'd like to choose one by the end of the day.

My three choices are:

1) Newport: A small room in a medium-sized house, one block from the beach (~40th & Balboa), but two stories, so I can actually see the water from the living room.

2) Irvine: A large room in Dartmouth apartments across from UCI.

3) HB: A medium-sized room in a medium-sized condo conversion, about 3 miles from the water (~Beach & Yorktown).

If you had asked me the three places I'd least like to live in OC, I would name these three cities, but it just so happens that these are my only realistic options.

I lived in OC till I was 15 and I went to UCI as an undergrad, so I have some familiarity with racism in this county.

Newport: I've been called a ****** in Newport more times than my pride cares to recall. I stopped partying there in college because of it. I was afraid I'd end up in jail for fighting some drunk white kid.

Irvine: I was pulled over in Irvine over 30 times in one school year. It was a running joke in college. Most incidents involved searching my car. Not one ticket resulted from these stops, though.

Once I was at a party that police were trying to break up. They arrested me and me only, even though I was not rowdy or violent (I was taught by my mother to be extremely polite and differential to police, in order to avoid the possibility of being injured or killed by them). They probably selected me because I was the tallest person there, had my hair in braids at the time, am black, and was wearing baggy clothing. They handcuffed me and then shoved me to the ground face-first ...hard enough to break the cellphone in my pocket! I didn't think that was necessary.

Huntington: My aunt was gang-raped and beaten by a gang of skinheads here in the 90s. I've heard there are still skinheads in the area.

I stopped by a bar there earlier this week. I was in the bar for less than one minute before a group of white guys at a pool table started a loud conversation about how they love calling black people "*****s" and then daring them to do something. They bragged about having beaten someone up for it. I drank one beer and left.

So, I'm curious: Where do you think I should live? I don't feel comfortable AT ALL in Irvine, but reading the archives suggests that past-posters feel it's actually the most minority-friendly of the three. HB isn't a bad choice, but it's the most boring house of the three. I'd like to live in Newport and look at the ocean while I eat dinner every night, but I feel like I'll be the only black person for miles. I'm not very dark, but I'm not white, and I'm afraid I'll stand out in a negative way. I'd like to live somewhere where I can just live my life and not have to worry about being stared at or treated poorly because I am a young black male.

Thoughts?

Dude I read through this whole thread, and I agree the OC is fugged off when it come to diversity and equality. Forget the OC man it is just backwards and LA has too much gang issues and race gang violence. Don't even subject yourself to that foolishness.

I am from Dallas, TX and currently live in San Diego, Ca for work. I have never experienced racism in these places. That racism would never fly in Dallas or Houston. I have not seen it in SD. I am mixed race. I am also 5'11 225lbs(former football running back, current MMA student). You should relocate to SD or even San Francisco if you wanna stay in california. I think SD and San Francisco are the best places in California for minorities. Just my 2 cents

Now if you ever leave California, go to Dallas,Tx or Houston, TX( if you need to be near a beach). These cities have better opportunities for young Black Americans. They are larger than every city in California except LA and very diverse. Both Dallas and Houston are 35% Black. The payscale for salary in Dallas and Houston are really high, nearly on the same pay level with LA ,the cost of living is low both are fast paced with lots to do!
Dallas-Fort Worth is the 4th largest metro area in the US and Houston is the 5th. Dallas-Fort Work currently has the 5th biggest economy in the World

I still have my house in Dallas and my apt in SD.

Last edited by RockhetHD; 01-02-2011 at 05:47 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM

215 posts, read 1,534,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMO32 View Post
I actually work and live in OC (am African American from the Bay Area, who moved to attend an OC University in 2000 and stayed).

I can feel the sentiment some do speak of. In thinking of HB, I recall a restaurant my wife and I were at (I am brown skin black male, she is light black femme with long curly hair, from the Long Beach area) I think it was King Fish House on Edinger, and we shop locally and we see the restarant often and we decided to eat there one Friday evening.

While we ate, I remember as if it were yesterday, a large older crowd with some middle aged people and some younger (25-35) adults...looks like a family. All white at a large outdoor patio table.

I happen to glance up about 30 m inutes into our meal and this white guy with his lady walks toward the restroom it appears and while he walks...he stares at me the entire time. I look up and had to do a double take.

He walks back to his seat with his lady, and he's staring AGAIN (mind you...NO ONE is sitting NEAR me, and my wife is sitting opposite of me so she didn't see it, you know when someone is looking DEAD in your eyes). I glance at him at his table and he's not looking. But with that small piece of interaction, or lack thereof, I could smell what his thoughts were. I didn't know him from Adam and then the lightbulb went off...DING!

You're in HB you IDIOT. I then recollected what Sheriffs stated in college in a Gangs and Gang behavior class in college..."Huntington Beach has the largest skinhead gang population west of the MS". Then I remembered what one of my old classmates said in college (He was from Northern Cal as well)...that he'd been called "Ni****" and taunted in Huntington Beach.

So while that may not sum up everyone, I will take the word of my own experience, OC Sheriffs who deal with it night and day, and a fellow classmate who has experienced it.

Just because YOU don't see it hardly means that it doesn't exist. It's there.

I'll leave another sample. At work (in North OC), I had a customer tell me "Hey, I have an Obama coin, want to see it?" I really just want him to leave, but before I knew it.....he whips out a gold coin with colored blackface.

He thought it was funny, and tells me that I was the only one out of "300 people" who didn't get it...then he says, "oh there was a girl, but she was Asian."

Total blindness. That's why we locals call it "The Orange Curtain".
I glad i have not seen this is SD.
Yeah this crap would never fly in Dallas-Fort Worth or Houston, That person would get slapped in the mouth and his nose knocked off and stomped out by random Blacks in the restaurant before he could make it to the door LOL!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:28 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
I glad i have not seen this is SD.
Yeah this crap would never fly in Dallas-Fort Worth or Houston, That person would get slapped in the mouth and his nose knocked off and stomped out by random Blacks in the restaurant before he could make it to the door LOL!
this is exactly what we need ! congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County