Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 PM

270 posts, read 838,380 times

Advertisements

If money was not an issue (you have a top 1% income) and you're starting a family, would you rather live in Irvine or Newport?

I'm taking a serious look at the 2; Newport seems to be the more fun place, but I don't want my kids to grow up worshipping money and falling into a materialist trap. Maybe I'm not being fair to Newport though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 11:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
If money was not an issue (you have a top 1% income) and you're starting a family, would you rather live in Irvine or Newport?

I'm taking a serious look at the 2; Newport seems to be the more fun place, but I don't want my kids to grow up worshipping money and falling into a materialist trap. Maybe I'm not being fair to Newport though!
Don't raise your kids in either of those two places then

Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
He shoots, he scores !!!

Both places have LOTS of money, Newport has more

Old 12-14-2013, 11:18 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
You realize OC is one of the most materialistic places in the US, don't you? Move to Garden Grove then, they can learn a second language, while they are at it.

I know NB like the back of my hand, it's great, but I like mater planned cookie cutter, so I will be scouting Irvine for my next place.

The worst, most superficial in all of OC, is CDM. The older part of NB around Newport Harbor high is quaint, and has some charm.

If you have that kind of money why not look at Laguna Beach, go big Emerald Bay. If you can afford there you have made it.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,511 times
I don't find Newport as materialistic as everyone makes out. Sure theres money and some out of touch individuals, but you find those types anywhere. Depends more who you surround yourself with. Theres areas in Newport that I definitely wouldnt consider ritzy, if thats what youre trying to avoid. I would personally choose Newport, just because its beautiful and I have a lot of awesome friends there. Theres more to do and it feels less boxed in than Irvine, if that makes sense. I find the Newport kids friendlier/more laid back, and the Irvine kids to be more studious, keep to themselves types. Of course that's a sweeping generalization, but definitely something I've noticed. Irvine has a high Asian population so it might be cultural too. I just feel like Newport has more to offer recreationally, being so close to the coast. Parts of Laguna are great too.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:28 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
I can find plenty of places in San Diego, the Inland Empire, the Bay Area, and even L.A. and maybe even north OC where my (if I had them) kids would not be exposed to such rampant materialism, a narcissistic culture and just plain miserable people. And trust me, California, even though I love the state, is already chock full of materialists and narcissists as it is.

But...south OC is one of the very last places in the U.S. where I'd raise a family. I've only lived here for a few months but have found the people to simply not be very nice or pleasant. I moved down here from the Bay Area; it is mixed with friendly and unfriendly types, but the culture is comparatively more "grounded" up there. I would seriously rather raise kids in a backwoods a-hole town in Louisiana.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 PM

258 posts, read 533,856 times
The people in South OC are some of the nicest, polite, and down to earth people I have been around.

They just aren't openly nice to everyone.

Having money doesn't make someone materialistic.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,694 times
I wouldn't raise my kid in either. Irvine is too academically intense and Newport is too spoiled.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 AM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Ok, I was born and raised in Newport and personally would never raise kids there unless it was on the peninsula. Different parts of Newport have totally different vibes and it depends what you are going for. My mom lived on peninsula and my dad lived in Spyglass Hill so spent time on both sides. The peninsula is so fun as a kid! The elementary school is right on the beach and I have great memories riding bike to school on the boardwalk. Also, it's a much more laid back down to earth just beachie vibe. Bike ride everywhere in flip flops and a bathing suit.
Then cross Jamboree on PCH and you are in pretentious land where some kids drive Ferrari's to high school (CDM). And it is just much more uppity and materialistic over there. Lots of pressure on the kids to be perfect too. And wear designer clothing, etc. We could afford that stuff but it wasn't the way I wanted to live. I think there is way too much pressure on kids to be perfect in every way over there.
Irvine isn't any different except boring, planned, stepford wife area. I hate Irvine but if you want the track home cookie cutter experience then you will love it. The peninsula is great fun for kids especially the wedge area (very end) where you are on the letter streets as opposed to the number streets. Also less traffic down there on summer. But it will take longer to leave during summer too. And you can go to the fun zone and hop on the ferry over to Balboa Island which is nice to walk around. Anyway just my $0.2.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:01 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Newport by a longshot. Better weather, less congestion, and a million times more scenic.

They're really different markets. Irvine is notably less expensive, has generally better performing schools, and school-age population is mostly Chinese.

Newport has more singles, good schools but not as good as Irvine (if I may be non-PC probably related to the fact Irvine is mostly Chinese, not an actual school quality thing), and Newport (especially Corona del Mar) has more of a WASP feel, and has far, far more big money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County