Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Location, location, location. Do you know much about the areas where these cheap apartments are located? I can’t tell you which parts of the city are “challenged,” but I understand that Costa Mesa has some pretty rough sections.
Definitely. Low end rent in Costa Mesa means you'd better speak Spanish and like parallel parking on overcrowded streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Rough is a relative term. A rough area of Costa Mesa is like a decent area in Los Angeles

Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Rough is a relative term. A rough area of Costa Mesa is like a decent area in Los Angeles
Which is why LA sucks.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
well I'm from the suburbs of Kansas City... specifically "Johnson County", which has a lot in common with Orange County, but minus the ocean and mountains and with a low cost of living. The snobby materialism supposedly of OC won't be anything I'm not used to already. Technically the area isn't "midwest" but "plains state" region but whatever lol.
I've seen worse materialism in the St. Louis area of Missouri (try Clayton, or Ladue) than in OC.

I lived in Missouri for two of the worse years of my life. I still own property there and I am waiting for the market to go up before selling.

Although I had to take a bit of a pay cut I am much happier in OC that I could ever be in Missouri. The people, the weather, the activities, the opportunities.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:22 PM

267 posts, read 618,871 times
I have too about St. Louis (think Wildwood, Chesterfield).&nbsp; What specifically about Missouri didn't you like?<br>

Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 AM

136 posts, read 265,197 times
Quote:
I have too about St. Louis (think Wildwood, Chesterfield).&nbsp; What specifically about Missouri didn't you like?<br>
DinsdalePirahna or DoublePenetration hates everything about Missouri (which I can't blame him) and especially St. Louis. The only way life in Missouri was livable was that he lived in Lake St. Louis so he could boat on the lake thats what he'll tell you because Missourians are just a bunch of backwater rednecks with no culture and DP hates rednecks.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM

267 posts, read 618,871 times
From my years of living just across the border in Kansas, I have gathered the same about them. Very backwards and redneck. This is coming from someone living in Kansas. And they drive rather poorly too, usually going 20 in a 35 and merging onto the freeway doing 30.

But back about California, yes you're right that the cheaper rents are going to be in bad areas. I also saw a really nice brand new apartment block for only $1k / month. The very obvious catch is that it is in downtown Santa Ana. I would just want something reasonable and affordable on an entry level professional salary so that I wouldn't have to steal and dumpster dive to make ends meet (though the latter almost sounds fun for some reason, in certain cases) or in a place that would make me go through the 91 chokepoint (or is it as bad as they say?). Though in any case my move won't be for a year anyway so the rents of all these places could change wildly (most likely towards up).

Old 08-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
From my years of living just across the border in Kansas, I have gathered the same about them. Very backwards and redneck. This is coming from someone living in Kansas. And they drive rather poorly too, usually going 20 in a 35 and merging onto the freeway doing 30.

But back about California, yes you're right that the cheaper rents are going to be in bad areas. I also saw a really nice brand new apartment block for only $1k / month. The very obvious catch is that it is in downtown Santa Ana. I would just want something reasonable and affordable on an entry level professional salary so that I wouldn't have to steal and dumpster dive to make ends meet (though the latter almost sounds fun for some reason, in certain cases) or in a place that would make me go through the 91 chokepoint (or is it as bad as they say?). Though in any case my move won't be for a year anyway so the rents of all these places could change wildly (most likely towards up).
If you can find a roommate, your housing options will expand greatly.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
If you can find a roommate, your housing options will expand greatly.
EscapeCalifornia

That sounds like a good suggestion. He could get a short term lease in a large apartment complex while he researches Penny Saver, Craig’s List or other resources for a roommate. Another option is to rent a room in a house for under a $1,000/month.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood89 View Post
DinsdalePirahna or DoublePenetration hates everything about Missouri (which I can't blame him) and especially St. Louis. The only way life in Missouri was livable was that he lived in Lake St. Louis so he could boat on the lake thats what he'll tell you because Missourians are just a bunch of backwater rednecks with no culture and DP hates rednecks.
Yes, I pretty much dislike everything about Missouri, so what? I lived in that hell hole for two years and did everything I could to leave the area when ever I could. Most arse backwards, passive-aggressive place I ever lived.

I have no use for rednecks and If I need a fix of Missouri, i can just go to the Orange County Fair when some washed up Country of Southern Rock band is performing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County