Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

I'll take that over Mission Viejo or Ladera any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
For architecture of the 40s and 50s, look around the islands and beach fronts in Newplort Beach and the small towns of Corona Del Mar and Laguna Beach. They may not be job-producing but I think you'll appreciate them. No cookie cutters!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM

16 posts, read 40,642 times
I realize this is post is a few weeks old, but thought I'd give a shout out to the OP. I, too, live in St. Louis and will be moving to Orange County for my husband's job in Irvine. We live in a 100 hundred year old home in Tower Grove Heights and I am originally from New England. So the thoughts of tract homes all the same town after town after town is hard to swallow and it's challenging to get any data about places when looking around because everything looks the same. It is what we have avoided in all 5 cities we have lived in. That being said, I have two girls ages who will be 7 and 2 when we move. Finding a balance between family amenities/schools and a home/community with the spirit in which we love as a family is a challenge. Particularly in the price range of 600-700K. We are focusing on the positives and attempting to make a paradigm shift....it isn't all about the house anymore.

We have been looking at San Clemente since it would be a longer, but doable commute to both Irvine and San Diego for future job reasons. It has a more unique feel west of the 5. Perhaps we could compare notes? Good luck with your search and any info would be so helpful.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
San Clemente is a good choice if your husband has to commute to Both Irvine and Sand Diego (and its a Long Commute either way), There are also older buildings (1930s - 1960's) in the area they you may be attracted too. If you like older building you will be disappointed. One of the bad things about OC is that the developers here tend to bulldoze history.

What you will like about SoCal is that unlike St. Louis, it is much easier to break into established social circles.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
San Clemente offers excellent examples of the classic 1920s-1930s Southern California Spanish style (white stucco, red tile roofs, lots of arches and Catalina tile) as well as mid-century modern.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 PM

16 posts, read 40,642 times
Yes the architecture is what we have liked and the city feel. My husband's job is currently in Irvine, but if he loses this job (always possible in this economy) San Diego is another job hub for him. We are currently struggling with giving in to the planned communities for family convenience (who knows maybe I've been fighting it too long and I will actually like it) but I am worried we will not and trying to find a balance. I grew up on the Atlantic ocean so some fog (gloom?) is ok, but one question: how much fog is there seriously? It sounds like from posts that the marine layer lasts for months on end. I suppose no worse than a cloudy winter

Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
You will haardly notice is until you hear people complaining about it.

It is not fog or mist like you get in the Northeast (and maybe the Northweest). It is a high up cloud layer that keeps the sun from shining through. It is still bright but it is a soft light like dwan or dusk. It burns off by 11 am. usually. It is galled June Gloom, but due to some change in weather patterns it now lasts into August. It is not awful, just not fully sunny. If you do not like it, just don't get up so early.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Some of the most interesting home architecture is in, believe it or not, Anaheim. Known as The Colony district it's (generally) bordered by North, South, East and West streets.

http://www.anaheimcolony.com/Today/1Today.html

Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM

283 posts, read 626,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Some of the most interesting home architecture is in, believe it or not, Anaheim. Known as The Colony district it's (generally) bordered by North, South, East and West streets.

The Anaheim Colony
There are a lot of cool neighborhoods by Downtown Anaheim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County