Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,963,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I just got back from vacation we were staying at a resort in Anaheim and it seems like Disneyland owns that town. Someone who works at one of the resorts there told me there are 60,000 employee's in Disneyland alone. She wasn't even counting all the restaurants and hotels ect that is there because of Disneyland. Is Disneyland Orange County's main economy outside of Los Angeles? what would happen to Orange County (especially Anaheim) if Disneyland closed down?
Lol, what a joke! Not even close. O.C is huge. There's tons of businesses here. Do you think we are like some third world country that depends on tourism to Disneyland for survival? It would affect Anaheim but not all of O.C... Do you have any idea how rich O.C is and how many huge businesses there are here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
Bher Paint is in OC as well arent they?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,898,233 times
lmao OK to answer some of the questions, NO, Idk how many businesses are there. Hey im from Michigan and that was my first time even visiting Orange County. Don't expect me to know anything about OC's economy lol. I was staying in Anaheim which I thought was a pretty big part of OC. I didn't really go out and explore other parts of OC except the beach, most of the time I was in LA. But when the lady told me 60,000 at Disneyland alone that sounded like alot of jobs for one place to me. And I do know OC probably has other businesses too because its in the LA area, that's why I said is it the main economy outside of LA what I meant was would it be the main economy if it weren't so close to LA

Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 PM

590 posts, read 1,250,792 times
Quote:
lmao OK to answer some of the questions, NO, Idk how many businesses are there. Hey im from Michigan and that was my first time even visiting Orange County. Don't expect me to know anything about OC's economy lol. I was staying in Anaheim which I thought was a pretty big part of OC. I didn't really go out and explore other parts of OC except the beach, most of the time I was in LA. But when the lady told me 60,000 at Disneyland alone that sounded like alot of jobs for one place to me. And I do know OC probably has other businesses too because its in the LA area, that's why I said is it the main economy outside of LA what I meant was would it be the main economy if it weren't so close to LA
sorry..you still don't get it...as explained to you..Disneyland is NOT close to LA..nor is OC for that matter...OC is a huge populated county...and as pointed out..as many many companies that are far more "employees" than what Disneyland had..perhaps you need to look at a map...again..OC is NOT in the LA area,,,,it is the next county down..

sorry if we jumped you..but your premise makes no sense

Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 PM

68 posts, read 192,238 times
Quote:
There are over 3 million people in Orange County so even if Disneyland employed 60,000 it is only 2% of the population of Orange County. Very small part in the whole scheme of things!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
sorry..you still don't get it...as explained to you..Disneyland is NOT close to LA..nor is OC for that matter...OC is a huge populated county...and as pointed out..as many many companies that are far more "employees" than what Disneyland had..perhaps you need to look at a map...again..OC is NOT in the LA area,,,,it is the next county down..

sorry if we jumped you..but your premise makes no sense
Ok so I typed in Los Angeles metropolitan area and Orange County popped up on every map of the metro area I saw. Even at the resort they had maps of the LA metro area and OC was on there and it said "Los Angeles area"

I typed this in on Wiki and it said "The metropolitan area is defined by the Office of Management and Budget as the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana metropolitan statistical area containing consists of Los Angeles and Orange counties."

Here is the link: Los Angeles metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (go to Wiki and type in Los angeles metropolitan area if it doesn't work)

here are other links to the LA metro area map: Road Map of Los Angeles Metro (Los Angeles, California) - Aaccessmaps.com
Pray for LA Map

Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havnfun View Post
There are over 3 million people in Orange County so even if Disneyland employed 60,000 it is only 2% of the population of Orange County. Very small part in the whole scheme of things!
True, But she SAID she wasn't even counting the hotels and businesses of Anaheim which also employes quite a few people.

Sorry everyone I should have been more specific I meant the Anaheim area specifically, I didn't even know OC had other cities just as big as Anaheim until I researched it.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,784,395 times
Quote:

Here's the thing: LA, LB, and OC all can stand by themselves as economies. The South Bay as well, but you can lump that with either LB or LA as it's closely intertwined with both economies because of the ports(aerospace is Long Beach all the way) but also separate because of oil/gas

Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM

450 posts, read 1,408,726 times
Quote:
There are a number of very large industries in Orange County that are more prominent (and higher paying) than Disneyland.

Nearly 100,000 people work in the high tech sector. This includes headquarters of prominent companies like:
Western Digital (largest hard drive manufacturer in the world) Fortune 500
Gateway Computers (PC Company)
Broadcom (huge semiconductor company) Fortune 500
Thales Avionics and Panasonic Avionics (the two largest in flight entertainment system companies)
Kingston Technology (largest USB drive company)
Ingram Micro (a Fortune 500 logistics company in technology) Fortune 500
Blizzard Entertainment (one of the largest video game developers)

Thousands of people work in the health care industry at several prominent hospitals including UCI Medical Center, Children's Hospital Orange County, Hoag Hospital, Mission Hospital etc... Prominent companies in health care include:
Allergan (Botox, Restasis, Lap Band, etc.. on Fortune 500)
Beckman Coulter (one of the largest suppliers of health care equipment/machines)
Edwards Lifesciences (One of the largest health care equipment companies) Fortune 500

Automobile Headquarters:
Mazda North America
Kia North America
Hyundai North America
Mitsubishi North America and more...

These are just a few random industries and prominent companies here. Boeing is huge, Taco Bell and other food service companies have headquarters here, PIMCO, First American Corp, Pacific Life Insurance are huge in financial services, etc...

In many ways the economy of Orange County is more diverse and is higher skilled than L.A. OC is the tech hub for Southern California and the more diverse economy is part of the reason OC has an unemployment rate of 9.1% and L.A. is around 11.9% (roughly).

Orange County is an economically important region and among the largest in the country in several of its industries. Disneyland is a great asset and strengthens the tourism industry that is one of several industries in OC.

If Orange County was alone and not near Los Angeles and the Inland Empire (as far as greater metro areas) it would be the 18th largest metropolitan area in the country. Orange County has more people than greater Denver, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, San Antonio, Portland, Orlando, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Baltimore, etc... It is slightly smaller than greater San Diego, greater Seattle, and greater Minneapolis/Saint Paul.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
There are a number of very large industries in Orange County that are more prominent (and higher paying) than Disneyland.

Nearly 100,000 people work in the high tech sector. This includes headquarters of prominent companies like:
Western Digital (largest hard drive manufacturer in the world) Fortune 500
Gateway Computers (PC Company)
Broadcom (huge semiconductor company) Fortune 500
Thales Avionics and Panasonic Avionics (the two largest in flight entertainment system companies)
Kingston Technology (largest USB drive company)
Ingram Micro (a Fortune 500 logistics company in technology) Fortune 500
Blizzard Entertainment (one of the largest video game developers)

Thousands of people work in the health care industry at several prominent hospitals including UCI Medical Center, Children's Hospital Orange County, Hoag Hospital, Mission Hospital etc... Prominent companies in health care include:
Allergan (Botox, Restasis, Lap Band, etc.. on Fortune 500)
Beckman Coulter (one of the largest suppliers of health care equipment/machines)
Edwards Lifesciences (One of the largest health care equipment companies) Fortune 500

Automobile Headquarters:
Mazda North America
Kia North America
Hyundai North America
Mitsubishi North America and more...

These are just a few random industries and prominent companies here. Boeing is huge, Taco Bell and other food service companies have headquarters here, PIMCO, First American Corp, Pacific Life Insurance are huge in financial services, etc...

In many ways the economy of Orange County is more diverse and is higher skilled than L.A. OC is the tech hub for Southern California and the more diverse economy is part of the reason OC has an unemployment rate of 9.1% and L.A. is around 11.9% (roughly).

Orange County is an economically important region and among the largest in the country in several of its industries. Disneyland is a great asset and strengthens the tourism industry that is one of several industries in OC.

If Orange County was alone and not near Los Angeles and the Inland Empire (as far as greater metro areas) it would be the 18th largest metropolitan area in the country. Orange County has more people than greater Denver, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, San Antonio, Portland, Orlando, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Baltimore, etc... It is slightly smaller than greater San Diego, greater Seattle, and greater Minneapolis/Saint Paul.
Damn. I didn't know that OC had auto headquarters. learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info. But do alot of people still work in LA and live in OC or vise versa like most counties near large cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County