Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 AM

590 posts, read 1,250,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Damn. I didn't know that OC had auto headquarters. learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info. But do alot of people still work in LA and live in OC or vise versa like most counties near large cities?

smart folks live near where they work...so no...working in one county and living in the other would entail HOURS of commuting..

our freeways are about as congested as one can imagine..

and our "public transportation" is pretty dismal

we are not NYC Boston Chicago etc where one can hop on a train or subway

most of us live here to escape the weather of the above cities...

and the snow!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM

450 posts, read 1,408,397 times
Quote:
Damn. I didn't know that OC had auto headquarters. learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info. But do alot of people still work in LA and live in OC or vise versa like most counties near large cities?
http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/commut...rancommute.pdf

A relatively small amount of people live in Orange County and work in Los Angeles County. Those that do probably live in border cities. Like living in La Mirada on the OC side of the border and working in Long Beach on the L.A. County side or living in Brea in OC and working in Diamond Bar in L.A. County.

Only 17% of Orange County residents leave the county for their job. 14.5% go to Los Angeles County (the other 2.5% is to other counties). This is much lower than most urban areas where 50-60% of outlying counties probably commute to the largest city for work.

So...83% of Orange County residents stay in the county for their job. And even smaller percent of Los Angeles County leaves their county for their job. The fact that so many residents stay in the county exemplifies how Orange County has a diverse and large economy to support its population of 3 million residents. Los Angeles and Orange County together as a region are stronger. L.A. offers a huge port for shipping, a large international airport, more heavy manufacturing, film, etc... Orange County offers more tech industry, health care, autos, light manufacturing, etc..

Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,918,995 times
Does anyone know what percentage of Orange County's GDP comes from tourism?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,470,825 times
Quote:
The thing you have to let go of to understand the LA/OC area is the Urban core/suburban model so prevalent in the east and midwest. OC is not a suburb of LA the way Grosse Point is to Detroit or the main line area is to Philadelphia, etc.

OC, LA and the rest are one big sprawled out jumble. In SoCal people don't hop into cars in the suburbs and drive into a central urban core to go to work then return at night. Industry and homes are spread out everywhere in SoCal. There is no one central area for recreation and entertainment either. If you want to go to a ball game or a show in most cities, you have to go into the urban center to the stadium or the theater district. In So Cal you can go to all of these things and never leave OC. Or you could head to other popular activities like the beach or a big park, all without going to LA.

I live my life totally in OC. The only reason I go to LA is to use the airport, and I don't HAVE to do that, I just choose to take advantage of the more frequent direct flights they offer then what I can get from John Wayne in OC. When I did all the things I mentioned above when I lived in Philly or Cleveland, they all meant a trip from my place in the burbs to the city. Not so here.

Demographers and media people will often lump OC with LA, and as you've noticed from the hostility you've seen in some of the posts, alot of OC people REALLY don't like that. It is in many ways a seperate entity, culturally and economically from LA. And we like it that way

Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM

916 posts, read 3,702,876 times
I think locals get the differentiation between LA proper and surrounding cities (Long Beach, Irvine, Anaheim, etc.) I think outside of socal it's all greater LA. See the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim".

Before a couple of TV shows over the past 10 years I bet most people probably didn't even think of Orange County as a designation. Most places don't designate on a county rather than a city. The tv shows glamorized OC as all like Newport Beach. So the inlanders say they are from OC instead of their city.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
I think locals get the differentiation between LA proper and surrounding cities (Long Beach, Irvine, Anaheim, etc.) I think outside of socal it's all greater LA. See the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim".

Before a couple of TV shows over the past 10 years I bet most people probably didn't even think of Orange County as a designation. Most places don't designate on a county rather than a city. The tv shows glamorized OC as all like Newport Beach. So the inlanders say they are from OC instead of their city.
We said we were from OC since 1988. When did that show come out?

Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM

916 posts, read 3,702,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We said we were from OC since 1988. When did that show come out?
I wonder how many people outside of socal knew what you were talking about. Maybe everyone but I doubt it. Even when the Rams were here on tv they were called LA and when they referred to the location of the stadium they said Anaheim. Today when they talk about the Angels they often say "in Orange County the Angels...". That wouldn't have happened prior to the tv shows I don't think.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,425,290 times
There are scads of smaller tech firms in OC. It's a mini Silicon Valley.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,778,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are scads of smaller tech firms in OC. It's a mini Silicon Valley.
I believe the term they tried to coin was Tech Coast

Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,895,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
The thing you have to let go of to understand the LA/OC area is the Urban core/suburban model so prevalent in the east and midwest. OC is not a suburb of LA the way Grosse Point is to Detroit or the main line area is to Philadelphia, etc.

OC, LA and the rest are one big sprawled out jumble. In SoCal people don't hop into cars in the suburbs and drive into a central urban core to go to work then return at night. Industry and homes are spread out everywhere in SoCal. There is no one central area for recreation and entertainment either. If you want to go to a ball game or a show in most cities, you have to go into the urban center to the stadium or the theater district. In So Cal you can go to all of these things and never leave OC. Or you could head to other popular activities like the beach or a big park, all without going to LA.

I live my life totally in OC. The only reason I go to LA is to use the airport, and I don't HAVE to do that, I just choose to take advantage of the more frequent direct flights they offer then what I can get from John Wayne in OC. When I did all the things I mentioned above when I lived in Philly or Cleveland, they all meant a trip from my place in the burbs to the city. Not so here.

Demographers and media people will often lump OC with LA, and as you've noticed from the hostility you've seen in some of the posts, alot of OC people REALLY don't like that. It is in many ways a seperate entity, culturally and economically from LA. And we like it that way
Yea I noticed that, their worse than some of the people in the suburbs of Detroit lol. But that is very interesting, I never heard of an area that goes by the county instead of one central city, I guess im just used to the Mid- West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County