Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
**Cough, Cough.**

But worrying about Trestles because it's hard to get to? Rubbish. The waves are what count. No, true, OC surfer is going to even think about the walk to Trestles.

You either get it or you don't.

These threads always depress me. Everyone wants to turn OC into something else or compare it to something else. (And the people who wanted to change it succeeded.) Sigh.
Cough cough,

Classes that will help with understanding what you read are available at Santiago College at reasonable rates.

No one said anything about worrying about the long walk to trestles. The long walk to trestles is an advantage. The OP said he disliked the crowded beaches. This is a response to OP's statement that the beaches are too crowded. It actually favors your one sided viewpoint preference because it is contrary to a perceived negative about OC. Get it? Trestles is not usually crowded because is it a long walk and because is it not a scenic beach. That is a good thing for the OP's perspective. He said beaches are too crowded - a bad thing, but I said Trestles is not crowded because of the long walk - a good thing. See, you have to consider when a post is responding to a prior post to follow the discussion. This is called reading in context. With reading comprehension, either "you get it or you don't," but you can improve your chances of getting it through classes and practice. Grasping context is not real hard, but can take some practice. Cough cough. Cough cough

if you do not want to read about both pros and cons of OC, then do not open a thread about the pros and cons of OC. "Pros" means good things, while "cons" means bad things. So if the thread title mentions the "cons" of living in OC, then you should not open that thread because it will stress you out by pointing out imperfections as well as benefits. Find one that only discusses the pros. Some people want to discuss a place in balance, some want to see only one side of the picture. When you are the latter, it is easy to avoid clearly labeled threads that may also include downsides. While you will probably never see a thread titled the pros and pros of living in OC, there are threads that are clearly established to discuss only some positive aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Classes that will help with understanding what you read are available at Santiago College at reasonable rates.

I don't expect anyone who didn't experience it to know what an absolute freaking paradise we Boomers of Orange County (I ought to slap a TM on that one) grew up in. Great educations (no need for Santiago College now, thanks just the same), the beach, the smell of orange blossoms so strong it would give you a headache, clear days when the mountains were full of snow.... and it was 75 degrees outside in February and the relatives in the mid-west were complaining because they were shoveling snow. We knew we were growing up in the center of the universe. The guys going to the Moon were doing it because our parents were making it happen.

It was fabulous. And I highly doubt it will ever be repeated. Not in this country. So if we Boomers of Orange County are grumpy or we brag or we complain about how it's changed, and that's not met with universal love from the people who moved there from Podunk and who later moved back to Podunk, we just smile and wink at each other and know we belong to one of the most special, exclusive clubs in the country.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-25-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Chaparral is, in itself, a separate and distinct biome of the non-desert type. OC comprises two main biomes: California coastal sage and chaparral ecoregions. Desert doesn't factor in because OC gets too much rain.

I happen to love the desert, so it's not a disparaging term to me. It's wrong to describe OC OR the inland valleys as desert, scrub or otherwise, but you imports carry on as you've always done with your mislabeling of the local biomes. It's akin to wearing a K-Mart Hawaiian shirt, plaid bermuda shorts, hard leather shoes, black knee socks and a sombrero from Tijuana and wondering why the natives make fun of you.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
you imports carry on as you've always done with your mislabeling of the local biomes. It's akin to wearing a K-Mart Hawaiian shirt, plaid bermuda shorts, hard leather shoes, black knee socks and a sombrero from Tijuana and wondering why the natives make fun of you.

Ouch (but I love it).

Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't expect anyone who didn't experience it to know what an absolute freaking paradise we Boomers of Orange County (I ought to slap a TM on that one) grew up in. Great educations (no need for Santiago College now, thanks just the same), the beach, the smell of orange blossoms so strong it would give you a headache, clear days when the mountains were full of snow.... and it was 75 degrees outside in February and the relatives in the mid-west were complaining because they were shoveling snow. We knew we were growing up in the center of the universe. The guys going to the Moon were doing it because our parents were making it happen.

It was fabulous. And I highly doubt it will ever be repeated. Not in this country. So if we Boomers of Orange County are grumpy or we brag or we complain about how it's changed, and that's not met with universal love from the people who moved there from Podunk and who later moved back to Podunk, we just smile and wink at each other and know we belong to one of the most special, exclusive clubs in the country.
75 in February? Sounds like heaven to me!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
75 in February? Sounds like heaven to me!
Oh yeah!

February is traditionally one of the best months, weather-wise, in Southern California.

Unless it's pouring rain and the flood control channels are over-flowing.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pleasing outdoor/Archietectural aesthetics: The dramatic landscape of cliffs jutting out towards the ocean along with lush greenery and palm trees makes for a pleasing landscape

Architectural aesthetics? OC has the most bland architecture you can find. There is none really unless you somehow believe tract homes and strip malls have architectural merit.

As to landscape, that is also lacking. It is basically scrub desert. There are a few hills and valleys here and there, but almost anyhitng that looks pretty was planted. The mountains are pleasing, but the lack of trees, forests, open space, rivers, streams lakes or ponds with water in them, clouds, etc doe not make for much in the way of natural aesthetics. Palm trees are magical and exotic looking for a few years. Eventually they start to look like telephone poles with green hats.
Perfect response.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
The climate of Coastal California is considered to be "chapparal", which is also called "semi-arid", therefore technically it is a desert.
No, it is not; ARID is a desert; the climatic defintion in terms of rainfall is any place with an annual average of under 10 inches. The LA Basin gets more than that.

As Fontucky stated, people from other parts of the country don't always get this, and judging by your screen name you are pretty much proving that point.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 AM

7 posts, read 12,829 times
The beach cities of Orange County are great! Every city is different, and you can't really compare them. Some cities have more of a relaxed/surfer vibe. In addition to the beach cities, there are also a lot of great places to visit in Orange County. Irvine is home to Irvine Spectrum and many great restaurant. Fullerton has a popular bar scene. Costa Mesa has one of the biggest malls in the nation, South Coast Plaza. Yorba Linda is home to the Richard Nixon Library. San Juan Capistrano has its Mission. In my opinion, residents of inland cities tend to be less obvious of their wealth.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:03 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
No, it is not; ARID is a desert; the climatic defintion in terms of rainfall is any place with an annual average of under 10 inches. The LA Basin gets more than that.

As Fontucky stated, people from other parts of the country don't always get this, and judging by your screen name you are pretty much proving that point.
Well excuse me, the last thing I need is four people giving me ad hominem attacks especially when I've lived here for almost an entire decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County