Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Cough cough,

Classes that will help with understanding what you read are available at Santiago College at reasonable rates.

No one said anything about worrying about the long walk to trestles. The long walk to trestles is an advantage. The OP said he disliked the crowded beaches. This is a response to OP's statement that the beaches are too crowded. It actually favors your one sided viewpoint preference because it is contrary to a perceived negative about OC. Get it? Trestles is not usually crowded because is it a long walk and because is it not a scenic beach. That is a good thing for the OP's perspective. He said beaches are too crowded - a bad thing, but I said Trestles is not crowded because of the long walk - a good thing. See, you have to consider when a post is responding to a prior post to follow the discussion. This is called reading in context. With reading comprehension, either "you get it or you don't," but you can improve your chances of getting it through classes and practice. Grasping context is not real hard, but can take some practice. Cough cough. Cough cough

if you do not want to read about both pros and cons of OC, then do not open a thread about the pros and cons of OC. "Pros" means good things, while "cons" means bad things. So if the thread title mentions the "cons" of living in OC, then you should not open that thread because it will stress you out by pointing out imperfections as well as benefits. Find one that only discusses the pros. Some people want to discuss a place in balance, some want to see only one side of the picture. When you are the latter, it is easy to avoid clearly labeled threads that may also include downsides. While you will probably never see a thread titled the pros and pros of living in OC, there are threads that are clearly established to discuss only some positive aspect.
Wait I thought the "Pros" were the ones who did not get caught and the "Cons" were the ones who did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't expect anyone who didn't experience it to know what an absolute freaking paradise we Boomers of Orange County (I ought to slap a TM on that one) grew up in. Great educations (no need for Santiago College now, thanks just the same), the beach, the smell of orange blossoms so strong it would give you a headache, clear days when the mountains were full of snow.... and it was 75 degrees outside in February and the relatives in the mid-west were complaining because they were shoveling snow. We knew we were growing up in the center of the universe. The guys going to the Moon were doing it because our parents were making it happen.

It was fabulous. And I highly doubt it will ever be repeated. Not in this country. So if we Boomers of Orange County are grumpy or we brag or we complain about how it's changed, and that's not met with universal love from the people who moved there from Podunk and who later moved back to Podunk, we just smile and wink at each other and know we belong to one of the most special, exclusive clubs in the country.
Amen

Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't expect anyone who didn't experience it to know what an absolute freaking paradise we Boomers of Orange County (I ought to slap a TM on that one) grew up in. Great educations (no need for Santiago College now, thanks just the same), the beach, the smell of orange blossoms so strong it would give you a headache, clear days when the mountains were full of snow.... and it was 75 degrees outside in February and the relatives in the mid-west were complaining because they were shoveling snow. We knew we were growing up in the center of the universe. The guys going to the Moon were doing it because our parents were making it happen.

It was fabulous. And I highly doubt it will ever be repeated. Not in this country. So if we Boomers of Orange County are grumpy or we brag or we complain about how it's changed, and that's not met with universal love from the people who moved there from Podunk and who later moved back to Podunk, we just smile and wink at each other and know we belong to one of the most special, exclusive clubs in the country.
Pretty much spot on what every true local has stated for years to me; though I'm not local, I'm staring at some pottery my mother purchased in Laguna Beach in the early 80's..I thought visiting that area was heaven then, in recent years have lived on Balboa Peninsula, Newport Coast, The Village in Laguna. Nice but not like it was in my view as a kid, but I could say that about where I grew up in Colorado.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Pretty much spot on what every true local has stated for years to me; though I'm not local, I'm staring at some pottery my mother purchased in Laguna Beach in the early 80's..I thought visiting that area was heaven then, in recent years have lived on Balboa Peninsula, Newport Coast, The Village in Laguna. Nice but not like it was in my view as a kid, but I could say that about where I grew up in Colorado.
Everything is more glamorized as a kid as well.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
What is a "true" local?

If someone has lived in OC for 28 years, but was raised elsewhere are they are "true local"?

IF another person was born in OC, but is only 22 years old does that make them more of a true local than the person who has lived in OC for 28 years? The 22 year old has only been really aware of the county for at most 6 years while the non-local has been aware of the county for 28 years.

If someone lives in oc for 33 years but then moves away are they a true local?

What about someone who has lived in two places, one of them being OC for 30 years?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
It is funny you mentioned that because I remember being enamored with lucky strike bowling alley in Irvine when I was around 8 or 9 years old. There were even two cute blondes my age bowling next to me. I ventured back to that same spot a coupe years ago as a 16 year old and did not feel anything close to the vibrant ambience I experienced when I was younger. Funny how times change.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
It is funny you mentioned that because I remember being enamored with lucky strike bowling alley in Irvine when I was around 8 or 9 years old. There were even two cute blondes my age bowling next to me. I ventured back to that same spot a coupe years ago as a 16 year old and did not feel anything close to the vibrant ambience I experienced when I was younger. Funny how times change.

A person changes a lot more in those ten or so years (from 8 to 16) than Irvine or Orange County did.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A person changes a lot more in those ten or so years (from 8 to 16) than Irvine or Orange County did.
Combination of the two

Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What is a "true" local?

If someone has lived in OC for 28 years, but was raised elsewhere are they are "true local"?

IF another person was born in OC, but is only 22 years old does that make them more of a true local than the person who has lived in OC for 28 years? The 22 year old has only been really aware of the county for at most 6 years while the non-local has been aware of the county for 28 years.

If someone lives in oc for 33 years but then moves away are they a true local?

What about someone who has lived in two places, one of them being OC for 30 years?
How about anyone who lives there, and in their heart, really considers Orange County their home?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
How about anyone who lives there, and in their heart, really considers Orange County their home?
Not if they wear a ny yankee or boston red sox or other east coast team hat. The Juaninos (Acjachemen) are probably the "truest" locals.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County