Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:50 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times

Advertisements

The housing market right now is just crazy. I've seen listing that are just 2-3 days old that now have "SOLD" right on the sign. And some of these properties are garbage.

I looked at one for 550K. It had 1800sqft but the 600sqft was an addition. All 3 bedrooms were tiny, and I mean tiny. The bathroom connected to the master bedroom was a joke. It was no bigger than a closet. LOL (Stand up shower, a sink, and a toilet) all squeezed into a room the size of a closet.

House needed a new roof, new carpets, new interior paint...

My budget is around 500k. Looking for a move-in ready house. Since I am putting half for down payment.
I don't qualify for a bigger loan at the moment.

Area I am interesting in is 98241, 92845 and Cypress. Los Alamitos is nice, but over budget. Cypress or borderline.

Can't believe just 3 or so years ago, I could have purchased a property for $400k.

Now, things are just crazy. It looks like I have to wait for another bubble. I dumped half of my savings on a rental unit with my Aunt. So, at least I have that I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:04 PM

426 posts, read 424,040 times
There are houses in Buena park next to cypress within your budget. You get cypress school district on Buena park budget.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:37 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
That's what you get in most of OC. A crap shack built in the 50-60-70s for HALF A MILLION DOLLARS or more that needs a complete renovation for another 60-80k. For a full remodel or new construction expect to pay 650-850k.
This is why there will be a correction again. These prices are unrealistic. There aren't enough people making the required income to support these prices.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:47 PM

30 posts, read 41,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That's what you get in most of OC. A crap shack built in the 50-60-70s for HALF A MILLION DOLLARS or more that needs a complete renovation for another 60-80k. For a full remodel or new construction expect to pay 650-850k.
This is why there will be a correction again. These prices are unrealistic. There aren't enough people making the required income to support these prices.
Absolutely on point. When house prices rise and incomes do not, there's a bubble forming. Although this bubble is different from bubble 1.0, whereas it's not necessarily bad loans but investors, flippers, foreign money, sprinkled with the occasional "buy now or be priced out forever" people raising the prices.

This is the new "American dream" in California... It's a game, or like stocks. People play and invest with it and no longer live in it.

You should wait it out. I'm either waiting it out or moving out of state.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:17 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I could be mistaken but I cannot think of anywhere where they sell new SFHomes in OC in that price range. I heard there were some new homes in Stanton (torn down, rebuilt) in that price range.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:31 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
The housing market right now is just crazy. I've seen listing that are just 2-3 days old that now have "SOLD" right on the sign. And some of these properties are garbage.

I looked at one for 550K. It had 1800sqft but the 600sqft was an addition. All 3 bedrooms were tiny, and I mean tiny. The bathroom connected to the master bedroom was a joke. It was no bigger than a closet. LOL (Stand up shower, a sink, and a toilet) all squeezed into a room the size of a closet.

House needed a new roof, new carpets, new interior paint...

My budget is around 500k. Looking for a move-in ready house. Since I am putting half for down payment.
I don't qualify for a bigger loan at the moment.

Area I am interesting in is 98241, 92845 and Cypress. Los Alamitos is nice, but over budget. Cypress or borderline.

Can't believe just 3 or so years ago, I could have purchased a property for $400k.

Now, things are just crazy. It looks like I have to wait for another bubble. I dumped half of my savings on a rental unit with my Aunt. So, at least I have that I guess.
just bought a condo last Dec. offered the asking price right after they posted it in Zillow. maybe they still wanted to wait for more higher offers but my agent said we are buying at the price they listed what more do they want? we opened an escrow immediately

could have bought during the downturn but we have no regrets. we poured all the money we could save into our 401k and it appreciated more that we could have bought the condo in cash if it is not a retirement account.

a house could only appreciate so much compared to stocks and im happy that we have a sizeable retirement account in relation to our age right now.

for the condo, im not even thinking if the 20% dp will return 50% after 10 years

Old 04-16-2015, 02:34 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,316 times
Wait it out, they said. No one can afford these homes. The bubble will burst...

My husband and I waited, thinking the market would be flooded with foreclosures after the first bubble. Nope, didn't happen.
The bubble did not burst but got bigger and bigger. Is it really ever going to stop? I hope so, but I have a feeling it's not going to happen.

I just came back from Northern California--Redwood City. The older homes on small lots start in the $800k. Will prices be that way down here?

Old 04-16-2015, 02:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I could be mistaken but I cannot think of anywhere where they sell new SFHomes in OC in that price range. I heard there were some new homes in Stanton (torn down, rebuilt) in that price range.

Home Builder in Southern California | Christopher Homes Westminster location Selling in the high 700s low 800s . You can still pick up houses in the 500k range in Corina/Norco/Chino/Eastvale

Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 PM

426 posts, read 424,040 times
If you got 20% down and you can afford the monthly mortgage, buy now. Does not matter if we are in a bubble now. These 600s houses will never get to 100s.

The future highs will be greater than the previous highs and the future lows will still be greater than the previous lows.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:36 PM

68 posts, read 100,758 times
Why are you guys calling it a bubble? It's inflation...asset inflation. The prices will never go back down. The US government, Chinese government, the EU are all printing money and pushing the prices up. It's not a bubble, it's inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County