Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:34 AM

4,542 posts, read 12,409,026 times

Advertisements

Houses may depreciate, but land doesn't. They aren't making more coastal California real estate.

Regarding older houses, after a certain period of time, older houses do appreciate because of scarcity. Not many old Craftsman or Spanish revival bungalows out there in comparison to the demand, so they carry a 20% to 40% premium over a more modern similarly sized house.

First time homebuyers in coastal California should be buying a condominium. Nowadays, single family homes are for move up buyers.

It's like the outer boroughs of New York City, where over the past century first time buyers transitioned from single family homes, to two family homes, and finally to making their first purchase a unit in a highrise condominium. The U.S. is becoming more and more crowded. As tens of millions keep flooding into the country, eventually we will be living like the Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
More bad news for first time home buyers:

O.C. homes flying off the shelves; our market is the fifth-hottest in U.S.

O.C. homes flying off the shelves; our market is the fifth-hottest in U.S. - The Orange County Register

The uptick in home sales is bad news for first-time homebuyers, because the pace is fastest in the lowest-priced third of the market, Trulia reported.

“First-timers ... are already getting slammed by declining affordability and slow wage growth,” the Trulia report said. “Now, even the homes they might be able to afford seem to be disappearing in the blink of an eye.”

Old 04-23-2015, 01:12 AM

781 posts, read 744,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don't think anyone believes house prices will go in the 100,000k range. But I do believe the market is overpriced given the current wages to price ratios. You really think there are just that many people with 100,000 to 160,000 dollars for that 20% down today? Or do you think people are really doing the FHA 5% down? (Which to me is the new version of the old subprime loan)

You can't really say that. Unless wages go up none of that happens. You can ask a million dollars for a house but if nobody has the money or can't qualify might as well ask for 5 million. The only reason the highs will be higher is because of hedge/investors/speculators/some homebuyer demand. But homebuyer demand isn't there as much. And hedge funds have pulled back quite a bit. You CANT match affordability without raising wages or doing hocus pocus financing. You can pump up prices, move numbers around but eventually everything still hinges on what that buyer can afford in a monthly payment.

Loans are back in the 3% range again. It's literally almost free borrowed money. Right now dropping interest is the way they are getting the "affordability"
I have to say I think you are pretty spot on and made an excellent point about the FHA 5% becoming the new subprime.

I am from a reasonably priced area of NY, but currently live in the Bay Area. It's a real estate crap show in Silly (Silicon) Valley, I think it is even a smidgen worse than your area since we have the tech $$$ up here to compete with. I do realize that my area and your area are super hot markets, like you I agree that they aren't going down a ton, unless the big one hits.

IMO though, there is a lot hysteria going on right now and it scares me away from the market. I didn't follow the market much (until I moved to CA), but I do believe it's looking a wee bit bubbly.

I have spent the last 9 months thinking all of this through and analyzing this insane market that we have in the popular parts of CA. As some others have mentioned, it could still be hard to buy if the market does eventually end up in the dumps, but I guess if you build up a safety cushion that could help.

Last edited by Fiona8484; 04-23-2015 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,579,037 times
Interesting that putting 5% down is now being compared to the zero down neg am loan days..

Old 04-23-2015, 04:39 PM

781 posts, read 744,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Interesting that putting 5% down is now being compared to the zero down neg am loan days..
I don't think I would necessarily say that about lower COL areas in the USA. For example, if I was buying a small condo for $140k in my hometown and putting a very minimal amount down it wouldn't be as risky IMO.

However, I just read a post on the San Jose board, a guy was R-E-A-L-L-Y stretching it to buy a $800k home and putting a smaller amount down. Someone like that is going to be SOL to make the big mortgage payment if the economy tanks, that is what makes me come to the point I arrived at. Not a good situation to be in if stuff goes south.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 PM

101 posts, read 137,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocGuy714 View Post
But you guys do agree that first time home buyers (in general), are at an all time low correct? and you know a healthy housing market is fueled by first time home buyers making up 40-50% of the market. Currently we are around 30%. Prices are prices, they can be 100K or 1million per house, but when it's not fueled correctly, it's a bubble.
That's definitely true when the market is predominately locals but not in an international city. Many of the buyers in LA/OC are foreign and they pay cash. By international standards LA/OC is still very affordable. Try comparing our housing prices to Tokyo, Taipei, or London.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:27 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,579,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO JACKETS View Post
That's definitely true when the market is predominately locals but not in an international city. Many of the buyers in LA/OC are foreign and they pay cash. By international standards LA/OC is still very affordable. Try comparing our housing prices to Tokyo, Taipei, or London.
SD must look like an absolute steal then

Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
SD must look like an absolute steal then
Yes, actually, it does from the Canadian/UK/Taiwan/rich mainland China buyer perspective. That's why the desirable areas here (and there in SD) are not likely to take a big hit if the *&^% hits the fan...but the working class areas, on the other hand...

Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 PM

426 posts, read 424,272 times
Man, inventory is really low right now. Take away those overpriced homes that have been sitting on the market for over 30 days, on redfin and we got a serious shortage in the housing market.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:47 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,171,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Man, inventory is really low right now. Take away those overpriced homes that have been sitting on the market for over 30 days, on redfin and we got a serious shortage in the housing market.
Yeah, unfortunately that's been the norm for quite a while now. Inventory is starting to tick up a bit now that we're getting deeper into spring, but the good homes go fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County