Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
The housing market right now is just crazy. I've seen listing that are just 2-3 days old that now have "SOLD" right on the sign. And some of these properties are garbage.

Can't believe just 3 or so years ago, I could have purchased a property for $400k.
Wow... drove down a street in my old stomping grounds in the San Fernando Valley, and saw this house for sale. Over a mill for an 80 year old 2 bedroom, 1 bath with some dirty carpets. Location location location I guess, and yes, it's in a prime spot in Studio City right behind Arts Deli, and it's a pretty street, but the area is dense, the traffic nuts, (I couldn't WAIT to get out of the valley where I grew up when we moved to Orange County) but if someone wants to live near all those cool shops and restaurants and spot a celebrity every so often, well... different strokes I guess.

12124 Cantura St, Studio City, CA 91604 is For Sale | Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:40 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
I think they are returning to bubble level. During the last bubble peak my parents' 3BR/3BA townhouse in Portola Hills was estimated at high around $540k, and right now it is inching toward $500k again. Time to sell and run for the hills in another state!
we bought at $450k last Nov and recent sales are already in $510s

Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Wow... drove down a street in my old stomping grounds in the San Fernando Valley, and saw this house for sale. Over a mill for an 80 year old 2 bedroom, 1 bath with some dirty carpets. Location location location I guess, and yes, it's in a prime spot in Studio City right behind Arts Deli, and it's a pretty street, but the area is dense, the traffic nuts, (I couldn't WAIT to get out of the valley where I grew up when we moved to Orange County) but if someone wants to live near all those cool shops and restaurants and spot a celebrity every so often, well... different strokes I guess.

12124 Cantura St, Studio City, CA 91604 is For Sale | Zillow
And that tiny house needs a little updating too

Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
One article I read says incomes have risen very strongly to support increased price levels and unemployment in Southern California is at record low levels. There is supposed to be a huge shortage of talent and the labor market is supposedly very tight especially in high paying fields such as technology and engineering.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:35 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,579,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
we bought at $450k last Nov and recent sales are already in $510s
Same...similar houses to mine are already selling for 70k more than I bought my house for a little over a year ago

Old 06-15-2015, 12:06 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Same...similar houses to mine are already selling for 70k more than I bought my house for a little over a year ago
This is one of the reasons why real estate is so hot, where can investors get this sort of return on investment? Not only do you have ridiculous capital gains you also get rental income from the property. It is an insane rate of return and for investors it is just like they have died and gone to heaven.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
This is one of the reasons why real estate is so hot, where can investors get this sort of return on investment? Not only do you have ridiculous capital gains you also get rental income from the property. It is an insane rate of return and for investors it is just like they have died and gone to heaven.

If you don't have to pay brokers fees and prop taxes, yes its a good investment. I am not even thinking if my 20% dp will return 100% after 10 years

Old 06-15-2015, 12:20 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Just remember we are a boom and bust state. People need to remember that this was almost entirely a monetary created boom. There are far too few first time buyers in the mix. There are still people who are out of the workforce, those with jobs are constrained by debt, and so many of our better paying jobs are going to HIBs.

I think at the prices I am seeing, we are now in bubble territory. However, the prices are lower in real terms as compared to 2006 because we have printed so much money so perhaps the bubble is not quite as bad as it was then.

Think hard before buying unless you plan to stay in that place for the long haul.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:40 PM

745 posts, read 1,285,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
A couple 3BR/3BA townhouses in Portola Hills are pushing almost $500k but those seem to have upgrades and/or bigger yards than usual. Still, that's only $40k or so less than the last bubble.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,921 times
Why do people buy town homes? Are these like Seniors who are to lazy to do yard work or to find someone to do it for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County