Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 AM

643 posts, read 918,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
It's an offhand insult immature people use to criticize people living in a city so that they can avoid actually explaining in a mature, and expository manner why they actually "hate Irvine". There's a lot of these type of responses in this thread.
Ahahah still defending Irvine for no valid reason

Old 03-03-2014, 12:04 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,826,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
Ahahah still defending Irvine for no valid reason
There are plenty of valid reasons to dispel lies, especially on a website like City-Data.

Last edited by ExeterMedia; 03-03-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
There are plenty of valid reasons to dispel lies, especially on a website like City-Data.
like..?

Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 PM

12,791 posts, read 15,031,263 times
I know nothing about Irvine personally. The only time I'm actually in that city is to go to the Irvine Spectrum Mall about once every year or two.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:35 AM

15 posts, read 45,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I know nothing about Irvine personally. The only time I'm actually in that city is to go to the Irvine Spectrum Mall about once every year or two.
I'm about a ten minute WALK from there, and I try to avoid it as much as I can. There's only one business there that even remotely interests me. It's all Corporate 'Murica.

Why? Because Irvine Company doesn't give small businesses a chance. They require that their retailer and restaurateur partners disclose their net revenues so that they can engage in a "profit-share" as part of their lease agreement. What does that enable? That enables Irvine Company to know exactly how much to charge for rent.

"Eff" Irvine Company and what they stand for.

They have used this brutal tactic in their several holdings throughout Southern California.

Donald Bren is not a philanthropist. He is a tyrant in sheep's clothing. He's a real estate mogul not unlike any other. Anyone who believes otherwise is a victim of deception. I will not support anyone who willingly or unwillingly thwarts small businesses. Ask me about Tommy Pastrami. They were a small business in an Irvine Company property, in Irvine.

Were.

I'm seeing suburban Chicago again within the five year plan. The good weather certainly doesn't offset the fake ness and lack of dynamism of Irvine - or maybe even all of Orange County (certainly all of South Orange County). I'll take ten feet of snow over endless rows of neatly planted date palm trees which were strategically positioned by Irvine Company over bulldozed orange groves.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,162,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperH View Post
I'm about a ten minute WALK from there, and I try to avoid it as much as I can. There's only one business there that even remotely interests me. It's all Corporate 'Murica.

Why? Because Irvine Company doesn't give small businesses a chance. They require that their retailer and restaurateur partners disclose their net revenues so that they can engage in a "profit-share" as part of their lease agreement. What does that enable? That enables Irvine Company to know exactly how much to charge for rent.

They have used this brutal tactic in their several holdings throughout Southern California.

Donald Bren is not a philanthropist. He is a tyrant in sheep's clothing. He's a real estate mogul not unlike any other. Anyone who believes otherwise is a victim of deception. I will not support anyone who willingly or unwillingly thwarts small businesses. Ask me about Tommy Pastrami. They were a small business in an Irvine Company property, in Irvine.

Were.

I'm seeing suburban Chicago again within the five year plan. The good weather certainly doesn't offset the fake ness and lack of dynamism of Irvine - or maybe even all of Orange County (certainly all of South Orange County). I'll take ten feet of snow over endless rows of neatly planted date palm trees which were strategically positioned by Irvine Company over bulldozed orange groves.
Ok, so the Irvine company is shrewd. So? No one is stopping these small businesses from going to neighboring cities like Tustin, which, by the way, has great smaller businesses, e.g. Gen. I have said Irvine isn't my favorite city in South OC, but it is pretty nice.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Ok, so the Irvine company is shrewd. So? No one is stopping these small businesses from going to neighboring cities like Tustin, which, by the way, has great smaller businesses, e.g. Gen. I have said Irvine isn't my favorite city in South OC, but it is pretty nice.
The world would be a better place without the Irvine Company

Old 03-12-2014, 05:24 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,076,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperH View Post

Were.

Why is this thread neverending? I am just not getting it. Yes Irvine COMPANY began as a corp. with a plan and it has stuck to it. There's no need for Irvine to be small biz friendly. It does what it does quite well, thus far. People are drawn to it for what they need at a given time or for a life time. If that is not what you need, then as a smart consumer, you take your biz. elsewhere. Simple as that. You have plenty of other choices when shopping around for a lifestyle. B/C make no mistake, we are all consumers of a given lifestyle. You can deem yours better than the sterile, corporate, suburban Irvine, but it's still a consumer or brand lifestyle. I don't blame anyone for disliking living in Irvine; I wouldn't want to either. But to continue droning about its 'problems' that are not really problems but rather lifestyle options that some people want, is kind of a waste of energy.

I don't think people need to defend Irvine and certainly not liking it is valid enough. But what's the issue? Is there a point to prove? A validation to be made of someone's particular stance/worldview? Last I checked, Irvine was desirable for schools, families, shopping and economic reasons, as well as the university. Those are solids. Perhaps traffic and questions of rate of growth are contentions within city governance. But wanting Irvine to be some bay area-esque or college town type of city is not a real 'problem'. Irvine is currently not broken; it doesn't suit everyone for sure. But there's nothing to change about it b/c it suits enough people and has enough positives to continue for the time being. So CAL is So CAL, ya know? It's not for everyone. OC as a whole is not the most dynamic or vibrant place, either. It actually used to be fairly like the CT of the west coast-lol. It's much more alive now in many communities. Point being, it's a conservative county that was largely rural 50 years ago. It is what it is. Go to LA for vibrancy and SD for communities with a little more happening, a little more grit can be found in Long Beach, too!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Why is this thread neverending? I am just not getting it. Yes Irvine COMPANY began as a corp. with a plan and it has stuck to it. There's no need for Irvine to be small biz friendly. It does what it does quite well, thus far. People are drawn to it for what they need at a given time or for a life time. If that is not what you need, then as a smart consumer, you take your biz. elsewhere. Simple as that. You have plenty of other choices when shopping around for a lifestyle. B/C make no mistake, we are all consumers of a given lifestyle. You can deem yours better than the sterile, corporate, suburban Irvine, but it's still a consumer or brand lifestyle. I don't blame anyone for disliking living in Irvine; I wouldn't want to either. But to continue droning about its 'problems' that are not really problems but rather lifestyle options that some people want, is kind of a waste of energy.

I don't think people need to defend Irvine and certainly not liking it is valid enough. But what's the issue? Is there a point to prove? A validation to be made of someone's particular stance/worldview? Last I checked, Irvine was desirable for schools, families, shopping and economic reasons, as well as the university. Those are solids. Perhaps traffic and questions of rate of growth are contentions within city governance. But wanting Irvine to be some bay area-esque or college town type of city is not a real 'problem'. Irvine is currently not broken; it doesn't suit everyone for sure. But there's nothing to change about it b/c it suits enough people and has enough positives to continue for the time being. So CAL is So CAL, ya know? It's not for everyone. OC as a whole is not the most dynamic or vibrant place, either. It actually used to be fairly like the CT of the west coast-lol. It's much more alive now in many communities. Point being, it's a conservative county that was largely rural 50 years ago. It is what it is. Go to LA for vibrancy and SD for communities with a little more happening, a little more grit can be found in Long Beach, too!
There needs to be more dialogue about how Irvine is not a good model for planning a city. It is the opposite of a good place to live. Too often other communities want to duplicate this terrible plan. Shouldnt we have a debate about how to properly plan a city? Irvine lacks personality and life. It is too corporate.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,162,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
There needs to be more dialogue about how Irvine is not a good model for planning a city. It is the opposite of a good place to live. Too often other communities want to duplicate this terrible plan. Shouldnt we have a debate about how to properly plan a city? Irvine lacks personality and life. It is too corporate.
Well I welcome such a debate, that is, about whether Irvine is a good model or not. However, I don't think an Orange County forum is the place for it. And anyway, if Irvine is so bad, why is it so expensive and why does it receive so many accolades? And I wonder what the "good" model is, sprawling San Jose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County