Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

I lived in the city of Orange, which is a nice city, quaint downtown and relatively safe. Houses range from hundred year old restored houses in Old Town to new houses/condos in the hills to the east.

From Orange, you can be downtown L.A. in about 30 minutes if there is no traffic. IF! My commute to Irvine was about 12 minutes if I left by 6 a.m., 45 min. or more once traffic came to a stop. It's centrally located, but we had stopped going much of anywhere in recent years, even on weekends, because traffic was so bad.

Why would you want to live in a 1 bdr. apt. with a wife and kid? Sounds very cramped. If you're not a millionaire, SoCal will be miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,634 times
Living in OC is preferrable to LA for many reasons. The real problem is the commute. It is very difficult to find alternative routes when the 405 gets jammmed, which happens most every day. Also driving in and around LA is quite different from driving around OC. It's a trade off. sometimes there is a peace of mind knowing where home is familiar and safe after a long day.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:15 PM

158 posts, read 600,860 times
I find it hard to believe that SoCal is 100% millionaires. I also find it hard to believe that everyone who isn't a millionaire is "miserable." But, I guess I could be wrong.

missionhome - Thank you for that list, it instills more hope in me. D-Link would be great to work for, great networking company. I'll have to see how it goes. If SoCal will be miserable because I'm not a millionaire, then I suppose I need to start studying other states..

Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 PM

88 posts, read 319,241 times
Default stay in the oc

I frequent LA often as I work at two offices one in Irvine and one in LA at 101 Sepulevda. I have to tell you LA is nuts, I mean really nuts. Its not even worth going there anymore for the nite life, jazz clubs etc. The traffic and parking are horrific. Please stay in the OC. Do not go to Santa Ana. MV is fine but so is Laguna Niguel and Aliso Viejo. I have lived in laguna Niguel for 13 years and just moved to a new apt in Aliso Viejo. both are excellent. I even love Dana Point but not as close for freeway access. the rents are bad but you can negotiate. Always try close to end of the month and winter months are best to move more apt. incentives. I rent a 2 bd 2 1/2 bath, 1200 sq foot place at 1725.00 and it is really nice and very safe.

As far as jobs why do you think everyone is moving here its not just the weather its the jobs. Jobs are everywhere especially Irvine.

ps one bedrooms in an excellent community and even close to the beach will run you 1300 to 1400.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStarLiesWest View Post
I find it hard to believe that SoCal is 100% millionaires. I also find it hard to believe that everyone who isn't a millionaire is "miserable." But, I guess I could be wrong.
Well it depends on where you're at in your life and what you want. If you're 25 and single and don't mind apartment life, then you can do OK on median pay. But try owning a house and supporting a family and it gets A LOT HARDER. Of course this doesn't apply to people who bought houses 5+ years ago for half of current prices. And it REALLY doesn't apply to people who bought 20+ years ago and don't need to make much to pay their mortgages (assuming they haven't paid them off).

Old 11-21-2007, 04:58 PM

Buying a house is at the bottom of my list. I don't have the capital, I don't have the credit, I'm far too young, and I just don't want that commitment. If I have to live in apartments for the next 15 years, that's fine.

What is important to me is getting a good job and living in a moderately safe area. Housing costs don't apply to me and by the time I'm ready to buy a house, the market is literally unpredictable from this point in time. I'm at a crucial point in my life. My wife and I are 20 and 21, and I don't want to waste any more time. Before I know it I'll be 30 (this is not an insult to those who are older, it is a true statement that we all deal with) and moving all the time is not something that I'll want to do anymore.

My main focus is living. I love the beach, I love the warm weather, I like spending time at home with my family and going out together when we can. I don't want to end up burying myself in a horribly expensive area that I just can't make it in. If that's what I'm doomed to no matter where I go in California, then forget it.

But if a hard work ethic and a willingess to do whatever I have to do counts for something somewhere, then maybe there's still light left.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:28 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Sorry I didn't find this thread earlier Stars.

Brea and Yorba Linda are nice areas. The area of Fullerton near those two cities is good. La Habra is pretty good. All of those are in northern OC which would give you access to LA County a little bit easier than MV. You also have Placentia, Tustin, and Tustin Foothills. Any of the beach cities such as Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, and Huntington Beach. They can be quite similar to LA County beach cities though. Don't go for Seal Beach as it is right on the OC/LA County border and will have a heavy LA County influence.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:00 AM

When you say LA county influence, what does that mean for me? If I can even make it out there, I might just stay in MV, it's safe enough for us and I can afford it. I posted kind of a lament on my Moving to CA post, though. You can check that out if you want.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:26 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
The LA County influence will bring you less safety, a more lively environment, and less of a family friendly neighborhood. The riff-raff from LA County also don't like to travel all the way down to south OC.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 PM

Ah, gotcha. Despite what everyone is telling me, I just can't give up wanting to come out there and make my mark. Expensive or not..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County