Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times

Advertisements

In Huntington Beach, the crowds tend to gather around the pier on the forth. The rest of the beach tend to be pretty wide open. Parking will be a bear no matter what beach you choose. My advice is to get their very early, or find a place to park within a mile to the beach and ride your bikes in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 PM

46 posts, read 82,075 times
Holiday time is the best time of the year where you can enjoy along with your company of kids in nearest beaches, but be careful of shallow water & too much crowd as these things can hamper your celebration mood.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 31,312 times
I see that most responses are in relation to the 4th which is a pretty unique time. I work in Huntington Beach and am directly involved with the 4th of July as well as the U.S. Open of Surfing and it is pure madness and I would avoid it all costs. In general, all beaches in the county are very busy during the summer months but there are easy ways to make your tip more enjoyable. First and foremost get there early. Parking lots fill very fast and there is nothing worse than driving in circles for an hour hoping to snag a spot or trudging from a spot far away. Second, with your age group of kids I would avoid Huntington and Newport beaches altogether as they are insanely crowded and filled with mostly tweens to twenty somethings. Those places tend to be the heart of the beach action on a hot summer day, drawing crowds from all over SoCal including multitudes from Riverside and San Bernardino County. They are great for what they are, but not the most family friendly. Corona Del Mar is my default choice because it is great for kids of all ages and it shows by the number of families that fill the sand. You can pay to park or park for free on the bluff and walk down. With a beach cart the walk down is not bad, though the walk up after a long day at the beach is a pain. If your a cheapskate like me you'll walk. Dana point is also a good beach for families, especially baby beach (plus free parking..YEAH!). Be aware that Dana Point proper is quite rocky under the water and can be uncomfortable for small kids. Seal Beach is also a much more mellow beach and would be a great choice for families, though I haven't been in years as it has a reputation (not sure if it's warranted or not) for having polluted water because of the river mouth nearby. Third, if at all possible, avoid the weekend and go during the week, when it is much less crowded. Also worth mentioning is to check the tide charts and check out the many wonderful tide pools around the county. Try Little Corona, Monarch Beach, and many spots in Laguna Beach. Another great activity is the fire pits at some of the beaches, though they fill early in the day and there are some groups trying to ban them. Hope this helps and good luck on your move!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:12 AM

23 posts, read 56,218 times
Thank you all! You have been a great resource and have given excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County