Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
How can you call that a driveway? Think about it. You have to be able to drive on a driveway.
Enough space to put some lawn chairs out have a few beers though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:58 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Enough space to put some lawn chairs out have a few beers though.
Ha. Irvine Company HOAs don't even let you keep your garage door open at night. Beers and lawn chairs? That might be a flogging.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Here is someone having a brewsky, non OC style *cough*

Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 AM

171 posts, read 581,809 times
I grew up in California but moved to Colorado about 5 years ago. Here's my perspective:

1) The problem has gotten worse, at least in the neighborhood I grew up in. I don't ever remember having an excessive number of cars parked on the street when I was growing up. Now - when I visit my mother living in the same house - there are cars parked EVERYWHERE on the street. I think the root of the issue is that more younger people stay with their parents longer, thereby increasing the number of cars per household.

2) Nobody has mentioned this, but I think this is a safety issue - especially for young children. When I was a kid, I'd play basketball in my driveway. Oftentimes, the basketball would bounce into the street and I'd have to retrieve it. A street with few cars parked has much better sightlines for a driver than one that's packed with cars to notice kids darting into the street like that.

3) Honestly, I think this is a CA/NV/AZ problem. Here in Colorado, this is basically a non-issue. I attribute it to the weather. Parking your car in the driveway in the winter and having to clean it up after snowstorms is a PITA. And parking your car in the street with snowplows going by is even more of a hassle (snowbanks). So I'd say 90% of all residences in my area park their cars exclusively in the garage or driveway.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post
I grew up in California but moved to Colorado about 5 years ago. Here's my perspective:

1) The problem has gotten worse, at least in the neighborhood I grew up in. I don't ever remember having an excessive number of cars parked on the street when I was growing up. Now - when I visit my mother living in the same house - there are cars parked EVERYWHERE on the street. I think the root of the issue is that more younger people stay with their parents longer, thereby increasing the number of cars per household.

2) Nobody has mentioned this, but I think this is a safety issue - especially for young children. When I was a kid, I'd play basketball in my driveway. Oftentimes, the basketball would bounce into the street and I'd have to retrieve it. A street with few cars parked has much better sightlines for a driver than one that's packed with cars to notice kids darting into the street like that.

3) Honestly, I think this is a CA/NV/AZ problem. Here in Colorado, this is basically a non-issue. I attribute it to the weather. Parking your car in the driveway in the winter and having to clean it up after snowstorms is a PITA. And parking your car in the street with snowplows going by is even more of a hassle (snowbanks). So I'd say 90% of all residences in my area park their cars exclusively in the garage or driveway.
Great analysis, you are correct.

I noticed the same thing at may parent's old house in N. Fullerton. Lot's of teens and adults can't afford to live in the area so they never leave home.

I don't fault people staying with elder parents that need help but I would go crazy living in an overcrowded boarding house, yeah some are still going to school or temporarily down on their luck.

But you will also see plenty of failed losers with no real employable skills, adult kids with grandkids and more sponging off the folks until they keel over, fight over what's left and then be forced to move.

It's a shame for those industrious folks that can afford to live there because it impacts the entire neighborhood and quality of life issues.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM

125 posts, read 495,769 times
My neighbor a couple of doors down the road has 3 cars. His 2-car garage is filled with junk and he only parks 1 of his car in his 2-car driveway. He parks his remaining 2 cars on the street. The other day he parked one of his car outside my house overnight. I left a note on his windshield and politely asked him to park it back at his house. He left a note at my door in response saying the area outside my house is public area. There's no law against it. If I have a problem with it, I should contact law enforcement. Asshat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County