Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 PM

125 posts, read 495,901 times

Advertisements

I know this is a Californian thing to park on the street and use your garage to store junk and it's perfectly legal. But what is considered excessive and inconsiderate to your neighbors? I live in a community with 2 car garage with proper driveway. So there is technically enough space for 4 cars. However, my neighbor across the street has 4 cars and turns his garage into a home gym. He doesn't use his driveway at all and instead parks his cars in front of other houses on a daily basis so he can have all the public space he wants outside of his own house. Is this too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 04:20 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,423 times
Yes, it's too much and people like that make me sick. It's not just a California thing, unfortunately. I've seen it in other states. Even at houses with 3-car garages. I can't understand why so many homes have more than 1 or 2 cars there. If lots of people live together, can't they also drive together more? I live in a condo community, so most of these places have 1 carport per home, but I see more cars parked on the side of the streets at the buildings that have a 1 car garage on them. I'll never understand it.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Because back in the day you had mom and dad who had cars. My wife's family had one car. The family truckster deal. Then women started working and they needed a car to get to work. Kids grew up and they needed cars too. So now you have three to possibly four cars. And then mom and dad moved in or the family got in trouble and moved in with parents. So now you got upwards of 6 cars in the house. And if dad used the garage for his home run business or is a car guy or has a garage full of tools the garage is not useable. Of course there is the HGTV guy who turns his garage in a showroom and doesn't want to park a car in it. I put flooring and cabinets in my garage but I park cars in it. And I park in my driveway.
I see people who do as you describe as inconsiderate.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:32 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
Because they are raised by wolves with no consideration for others; watch them at the grocery store like they're the only one in it.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,471 times
That's extremely rude and honestly if there is an HOA, it should be brought up as an issue. If there are 4 possible parking spots, I'd say at least 2 of them should be used for cars owned by the owner. Parking them all in the street not only makes the neighborhood look crowded and ugly, but it makes it harder for actual guest to find a parking spot when they are visiting you. I'd complain.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:14 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
People like that should park their cars in front of their own houses. It's rude when they start parking in front of others, mostly because that means your guests have to park further way.

However, I'd rather have that then what my folks had to deal with. They live in a nice area where parking overnight on the street is illegal w/o a permit, because the city likes it to look "clean". The people across the street were into fixing up cars like old Bugs and the sort. So, not only was half finished ugly non-painted cars sitting in their driveway, sometimes on cement blocks, but they also dripped oil (and who knows what else) all over the streets and their driveway. Made the area look like crappola. I mean, when hazmat comes out, you know it's bad. so now the streets had oil all over it. Thankfully though, they kept it mostly in front of their home and no one else's.

I guess you have to wonder, is this bad, or could it be much much worse?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
People like that should park their cars in front of their own houses. It's rude when they start parking in front of others, mostly because that means your guests have to park further way.

However, I'd rather have that then what my folks had to deal with. They live in a nice area where parking overnight on the street is illegal w/o a permit, because the city likes it to look "clean". The people across the street were into fixing up cars like old Bugs and the sort. So, not only was half finished ugly non-painted cars sitting in their driveway, sometimes on cement blocks, but they also dripped oil (and who knows what else) all over the streets and their driveway. Made the area look like crappola. I mean, when hazmat comes out, you know it's bad. so now the streets had oil all over it. Thankfully though, they kept it mostly in front of their home and no one else's.

I guess you have to wonder, is this bad, or could it be much much worse?

A lot of areas have codes against having junk cars on the property, even if they're only temporarily like that...they would've had to have kept them in the garage.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Because back in the day you had mom and dad who had cars. My wife's family had one car. The family truckster deal. Then women started working and they needed a car to get to work. Kids grew up and they needed cars too. So now you have three to possibly four cars. And then mom and dad moved in or the family got in trouble and moved in with parents. So now you got upwards of 6 cars in the house. And if dad used the garage for his home run business or is a car guy or has a garage full of tools the garage is not useable. Of course there is the HGTV guy who turns his garage in a showroom and doesn't want to park a car in it. I put flooring and cabinets in my garage but I park cars in it. And I park in my driveway.
I see people who do as you describe as inconsiderate.
For a while, both of my parents had just one car between them even though they both worked FT. My father had a carpool. I can't recall just how they made it work, because I was too little to care. The part about kids growing up and needing cars seemed to sum up how it looked all crowded in one neighborhood I lived in 3 years ago. Teens must be spoiled these days. Back in my day, most teens had to ask for the privelege of driving the family car. Most of them could just take the bus to school and when they're older, they should be away at college or living on their own.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
That's extremely rude and honestly if there is an HOA, it should be brought up as an issue. If there are 4 possible parking spots, I'd say at least 2 of them should be used for cars owned by the owner. Parking them all in the street not only makes the neighborhood look crowded and ugly, but it makes it harder for actual guest to find a parking spot when they are visiting you. I'd complain.
My neighborhood has really gotten crowded looking these past several years. It has an HOA, and they've just addressed the issue with an ordinance that states that the number of cars per unit can only be the original number of bedrooms (before any possible additions) plus one more: 2BR unit may have up to 3 cars. And no restrictions on golf carts. I find the new code rather generous, considering that it's a retirement community, and when I moved in over a decade ago, most residents were widowed and lived alone, so there was usually only one car per residence here, and there were some who no longer drove and took the busses instead, and the community was originally built with that in mind, so that's why it looks so crowded nowadays with more places having 2 or more vehicles. Also, these aren't SFRs, so it's a bit crowded to begin with. How many vehicles does a retiree need anyway? Not like they're raising a family anymore.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Because they are raised by wolves with no consideration for others; watch them at the grocery store like they're the only one in it.
Reminds me of those who stand together right in the middle of the aisle just gossiping away and let their kids run amock getting in others' way. And the cell yell on their phones the whole time they're in the store. And kids skating around the store in Heelies shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County