Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:54 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times

Advertisements

get on a bike , or walk neighborhoods where you are thinking about living. Look for the for rent signs.

I know there are a few places in my neighborhood (Huntington Harbour/Bolsa Chica area), one mile from the beach in the 1300-1500 range
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:57 AM

12 posts, read 13,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
get on a bike , or walk neighborhoods where you are thinking about living. Look for the for rent signs.

I know there are a few places in my neighborhood (Huntington Harbour/Bolsa Chica area), one mile from the beach in the 1300-1500 range
I do like that area. Can you be more specific -- what streets would you target?

Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,600 times
Try pad mapper and Zumper websites as well. As far as the Westminster comment, i found a 2 bedroom for $1450. I even found nice rentals in that budget in Los Alamitos. If you look around, you can definitely find something in your budget. I make a little less than you with 2 kids and found a 2 bedroom in nice neighborhoods for less than $1500. Not downplaying it is expensive, just be open to other areas, don't limit yourself and be persistent. And I mean really persistent, because good rentals go as soon as they are listed. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:28 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
A quick glance at Westside Rentals showed some decent spots in Costa Mesa, the "metro" area of Santa Ana (meaning near South Coast Plaza) and even a couple of studios in Corona del Mar. I am not saying you should use Westside, but for me just glancing at the free part gives me an idea of what is out there.

Try driving through the flower streets in Corona del Mar one day and write down phone numbers of places for rent. Almost no one in CdM advertises their places because they go so quickly. Ditto for the Balboa Peninsula and Balboa Island. Check Burr White Realty's site for rentals. Some of the local papers in Laguna Beach and Newport have rental ads that never hit the Internet or major newspapers.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:14 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,983 times
$1200? Good luck. I have been looking all over OC for my mother and even dumpy older places with wall unit ACs and no refrigerators are running $1400 and up. Its gone from absurd to beyond ridiculous. $1400 will get you a really nice 3-4 bed HOUSE in almost any other state. Southern California sucks. It used to be great because of the weather, but the last 3 years have been hell here. Oct 2nd and its 100 degrees, hotter than the deserts. Add to that the worst drought in history and this place is just another garbage desert but a severely overpriced one.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sja1224 View Post
I do like that area. Can you be more specific -- what streets would you target?
The area between Heil, Bolsa Chica, Los Patos and Algonquin.

Before we bought our condo, we just biked the streets and took down numbers for rentals.

Its the beginning of the month, and there may be some good deals from landlords that are eager to rent.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:51 AM

14 posts, read 28,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sja1224 View Post
I'm a 30y/o single guy who is looking to rent a 1BR in OC, and I'm looking for some advice.

I grew up in LB so I'm generally familiar with the areas but don't know exact details. I've been living in LA for the past few years and I'm looking to move to OC to avoid the congestion and scuzzy neighborhoods that are most of LA.

I'm mainly looking for a safe location that doesn't break the bank. I don't have a precise budget in mind and I can be flexible, but I hate wasting money on rent and I'd ideally like pay somewhere around $1200. If I have to pay more to get what I want, I can.

Location doesn't matter as far as commuting (I work from home) or schools (no kids). But I don't want to be anywhere near gangs, break-ins, the element, etc. I don't need to waste money to live in the absolute best areas (Newport, etc.), but I'm not so cheap that I want to live in or near the ghettos either. HB might be a good location. I'm not sure where else I should be targeting.

I've been looking on Craigslist and Padmapper. I barely see any apartments in some of the other areas I'd be interested in -- Los Al, Cypress, Seal Beach, etc. I see a few large apartment complexes in Costa Mesa and Newport which seem totally overpriced for bad apartments (seems like you're paying a huge premium for some on-site leasing office and a pool and other amenities you don't need).

Please give me your suggestions as far as locations and how to approach my search. Thanks very much.
For a single guy you really should head to Huntington Beach.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:03 PM

12 posts, read 13,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The area between Heil, Bolsa Chica, Los Patos and Algonquin.

Before we bought our condo, we just biked the streets and took down numbers for rentals.

Its the beginning of the month, and there may be some good deals from landlords that are eager to rent.
I drove around this area, and, unfortunately, it was a complete waste of time. I didn't see a single 1BR that I hadn't already seen online. Signs either said 2BR or said nothing and they turned out to be 2BRs when I called them. Are there barely any 1BRs in these areas?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:49 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry1n View Post
For a single guy you really should head to Huntington Beach.
HB is nice, just freeway access is bad, unless you live close to Warner or a road that goes direct to 405.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
http://www.brooksideapartments.com

LA Palma, ca

I loved living here cause it was so close to the freeway but I could hardly hear any sounds from the freeway. The EB 91 ramp to Orangethorpe leads right into the complex. Too bad LA Palma didn't have any houses in my budget..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County