Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:57 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

If you decide on Newport Beach, I would suggest that you first check-out the place on C-D to see if anyone has had any really bad experiences with it because at least one, whose name I don't recall, has a poor rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 8,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Oh, then Dana Point or San Clemente would be better if Laguna Beach is not affordable. Also, check Newport Beach and Huntington Beach.
any specific neighborhoods in newport or huntington?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross2015 View Post
any specific neighborhoods in newport or huntington?
Not really, but there are regulars on C-D who may show up and advise you.

You might try padmapper.com , or apartments.com for possibilities, and then ask people on the forum what they think of the place.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Costa Mesa is pretty spread out.. Where will you be working?

Newport can be pricey, especially if you want to walk to the beach. Parking and Summer traffic is horrible on the Newport Beach Peninsula. You may find a better deal on the East Side of Costa Mesa, but it will not be walking distance to a beach...

There are deals to be found in Huntington Beach. As I've posted before, if you want to walk to the beach, stay within a mile of PCH. If you are working in Costa Mesa, the Southwest side of HB is your best bet (Santa Ana River to Newland)...

Downtown is is getting pricey, and attracts a lot of partiers during the summer. Its a fun place to live if you are under 30, but still very family friendly the further you get away from Main Street. Coming from Brooklyn, it will offer the most "city like" experience, with plenty of amenities within walking distance...

There really is nothing but a wildlife reserve between the downtown area and the Harbour area...

Their are a lot of good rental deals in the harbour area, Their are plenty of amenities within a walking distance, but the vibe is more residential. The Harbour Area offers the easiest access to freeways if want beach living in HB.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:36 PM

11 posts, read 21,735 times
Hi Ross,

You mentioned that you have an infant (congrats). With that said have you considered Irvine? It's not on a beach but very close to Laguna Beach. The Spectrum allows you to walk, shop & eat.

I'm bicoastal - NYC & Irvine. You won't get the convenience & accessibility of NYC in SoCal. Driving is a must and everything is 20 mins away. On top of that 9pm is closing time.

Shoot me a message with any questions you may have regarding your transition.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Dweller View Post
Hi Ross,

You mentioned that you have an infant (congrats). With that said have you considered Irvine? It's not on a beach but very close to Laguna Beach. The Spectrum allows you to walk, shop & eat.

I'm bicoastal - NYC & Irvine. You won't get the convenience & accessibility of NYC in SoCal. Driving is a must and everything is 20 mins away. On top of that 9pm is closing time.

Shoot me a message with any questions you may have regarding your transition.
I'm puzzled as to why you would recommend Irvine since you are disappointed with your move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Dweller View Post
Hello, Recently moved to Irvine from NYC. I'm actually bicoastal since I travel back and forth from NYC to Irvine at least twice a month.

I've been here for 3 months and is it a shocker. I enjoy the cleanliness and well kept streets but definitely lacks a quaint downtown with shops, mom & pops restaurants & bars.

I believe I've explored most of Irvine but never came across a section with sidewalks, storefronts & general entertainment. Am I missing something or does that not exist here? Seems like everything is in a strip mall or shopping center.

Please let me know if there are places that I should check out.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:48 PM

11 posts, read 21,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I'm puzzled as to why you would recommend Irvine since you are disappointed with your move there.
I'm not disappointed in Irvine. Like any transition it takes an adjustment period. I appreciate the contrast that both cities have and I am fortunate enough to enjoy both sides of the spectrum.

Irvine markets itself as a family oriented environment. That holds true since I am experiencing it first hand. OP stated that they have a child. They can reap the rewards of being in a city that is geared towards family activities.

Coming from a place that is not "cookie cutter" (NYC) to a place that everything is in unison (Irvine) is a culture shock.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:23 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross2015 View Post
also, we'd prefer to be able to walk to the beach
Ha, ha, ha, you funny Joe.

Who the hell wouldn't prefer to be able to walk to the beach?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:20 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I am also a New Yorker (with a nice jewish wife from Brooklyn)

We settled on HB because it is still a little rough around the edges. The harbour area is biking distance from two "village-type" areas Huntington Beach, and Seal Beach, while we still have a lot of walkable amenities for day to day life and we can walk to the beach and the harbor.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:22 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
You could do it in your budget in Newport Beach. It will be an older apartment, but you can walk to beach.

The culture shock from NYC to OC will be considerable (in ways good and bad). OC is like the opposite of NYC, in every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County