Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 07:07 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I support a tax on foreigners buying in OC. My millennial friends made the case to me. For me it really revolves around it not being a fair market when it is so warped...and the children of OC residents having to compete with foreign buyers.
And that's it? How high would this tax be? What will you tax, assets? Income? And what will you use the revenue for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 07:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
And that's it? How high would this tax be? What will you tax, assets? Income? And what will you use the revenue for?
I would ask that the most recent gas tax be repealed in exchange for this new tax. As far as the amount of tax foreigners purchasing real estate would pay, I'm afraid Sacramento would have to make that determination. The tax would be on the purchase price of the property.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
I would ask that the most recent gas tax be repealed in exchange for this new tax. As far as the amount of tax foreigners purchasing real estate would pay, I'm afraid Sacramento would have to make that determination. The tax would be on the purchase price of the property.
it doesn't matter... the people who invest overseas, have the money to buy it outright, a one time tax at purchase is just part of doing business

it isn't like they won't factor it in when they sale it later on and recoup it

Old 12-03-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
It's not that hard to figure out the problem.

If the tax is levied based on citizenship, I'd bet you there would be lawsuit against it for discrimination on equal housing opportunity (think, foreign nationals who are here for other purposes but trying to live here permanently) and the courts would strike it down as unconstitutional. So the only way you can levy a tax is through income/assets. Which for high earners, will include both citizens and foreign nationals.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
It's not that hard to figure out the problem.

If the tax is levied based on citizenship, I'd bet you there would be lawsuit against it for discrimination on equal housing opportunity (think, foreign nationals who are here for other purposes but trying to live here permanently) and the courts would strike it down as unconstitutional. So the only way you can levy a tax is through income/assets. Which for high earners, will include both citizens and foreign nationals.
Actually, I was thinking it through. There may be other constitutional challenges to the tax.

Income tax is not possible since they are not even required to file.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking it through. There may be other constitutional challenges to the tax.

Income tax is not possible since they are not even required to file.
Well yes for the majority of foreigners but using income tax does include that group of people who are foreign nationals on a visa, wanting to purchase property.

So in the end, this proposed tax and it's implications might not even be feasible to address the fundamental issue... too much demand and little supply.

So from what I see, you can do a few things.
Reducing demand:
(1) tax those with higher incomes (investment income at a higher rate)
(2) Raise property taxes (taxes wealth essentially)
Use the revenue from (1) & (2) to provide tax credits (based on income) for homebuyers purchasing their primary residence who meet residency requirements for CA and are US citizens

Increasing supply:
(1) Loosen zoning restrictions to allow for denser units to be built
(2) Allow for high rise construction (specifically targeting high income earners) which will in turn reduce demand for other properties

To effectively accomplish the goal, you'd need to do both of those. Can't do demand side reduction without increasing supply.

Last edited by man4857; 12-03-2017 at 08:36 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 08:21 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Well yes for the majority of foreigners but using income tax does include that group of people who are foreign nationals on a visa, wanting to purchase property.

So in the end, this proposed tax and it's implications might not even be feasible to address the fundamental issue... too much demand and little supply.

So from what I see, you can do a few things.
Reducing demand:
(1) tax those with higher incomes (investment income at a higher rate)
(2) Raise property taxes (taxes wealth essentially)
Use the revenue from (1) & (2) to provide tax credits (based on income) for homebuyers purchasing their primary residence who meet residency requirements for CA and are US citizens

Increasing supply:
(1) Loosen zoning restrictions to allow for denser units to be built
(2) Allow for high rise construction (specifically targeting high income earners) which will in turn reduce demand for other properties

To effectively accomplish the goal, you'd need to do both of those. Can't do demand side reduction without increasing supply.
Why not just make it illegal for a non legal resident of the US to buy any property? They can rent.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Why not just make it illegal for a non legal resident of the US to buy any property? They can rent.
I doubt that kind of law will survive the lawsuits challenging it.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:23 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChroNix View Post
Yeah lets turn into Mexico.
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 12-04-2017, 01:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChroNix View Post
Yeah lets turn into Mexico.
That is already happening in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County