Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 07:41 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I showed a girl pics of gas prices and real estate and nice roads no traffic in Az and she was mind blown. Then she said but it's hot every day there
But she's right. (And not just "hot".....unbearably hot.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 07:45 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
I know what your talking about. My friends kids in their 20s have no clue of life outside of so cal. They think expensive gas, housing, taxes high crime. High COL vs low wage is what every state is like. I showed a girl pics of gas prices and real estate and nice roads no traffic in Az and she was mind blown. Then she said but it's hot every day there
Actually I have friends from Prescott and they loved it there and not hot every day nor all day. Lots of CA residents moving there now and ... driving prices up a bit.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:55 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But she's right. (And not just "hot".....unbearably hot.)
Your in the Cali bubble too. Mid and southern Az is hot from April to sept. Right now the weather is perfect there. They also get cool monsoon rain in July and August. N Az gets cold! Snow is normal for Flagstaff and Grand cyn. Az also has the most amazing sunsets every night

Old 12-03-2017, 09:10 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Your in the Cali bubble too. Mid and southern Az is hot from April to sept. Right now the weather is perfect there. They also get cool monsoon rain in July and August. N Az gets cold! Snow is normal for Flagstaff and Grand cyn. Az also has the most amazing sunsets every night
I don't think anyone sane is suggesting that Arizona is all ugly or lacking in character or has a terrible QOL. I think the legitimate issue is massive heat in southern Arizona half the year. The heat is so extreme that it makes it hard to do anything outside. This is just the reality of life there. As for the monsoonal rains, yes it cools the area, but it is still hot.

I like Arizona (although I prefer Utah) and it is an attractive place for many people to retire due to it's COL. The millennials; however, are not going to retire and instead want/need to build careers and maybe hope one day to make it and maybe even transfer back to CA. That leaves them with mainly just Phoenix as a realistic option.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:43 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Actually I have friends from Prescott and they loved it there and not hot every day nor all day. Lots of CA residents moving there now and ... driving prices up a bit.
Yeah I was going to say. People always think of Arizona as Phoenix or Tuscon. Prescott actually has decent weather year round (but lacking in jobs).

Old 12-03-2017, 10:07 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Your in the Cali bubble too.
Not really....have spent more time than I'd like in Tucson for work. But it's a nice place to visit.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I don't think anyone sane is suggesting that Arizona is all ugly or lacking in character or has a terrible QOL. I think the legitimate issue is massive heat in southern Arizona half the year. The heat is so extreme that it makes it hard to do anything outside. This is just the reality of life there. As for the monsoonal rains, yes it cools the area, but it is still hot.

I like Arizona (although I prefer Utah) and it is an attractive place for many people to retire due to it's COL. The millennials; however, are not going to retire and instead want/need to build careers and maybe hope one day to make it and maybe even transfer back to CA. That leaves them with mainly just Phoenix as a realistic option.
I love Utah too. I was just making the point that people here are in a bubble and don't realize what life is like in other states. I was the same way when I was in my twenties here but life was a lot easier here then too.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Yeah I was going to say. People always think of Arizona as Phoenix or Tuscon. Prescott actually has decent weather year round (but lacking in jobs).
Maybe Prescott will be the next boom town Californians will flock to like Austin Tx

Old 12-03-2017, 11:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
I love Utah too. I was just making the point that people here are in a bubble and don't realize what life is like in other states. I was the same way when I was in my twenties here but life was a lot easier here then too.
People just want perfection and are unwilling to make concessions. Like people say Phoenix/Tucson is hot for half the year, which is slightly overblown (like if SoCal doesn't get extremely hot as well? , just not as much but still)... so since they want perfect weather, they'll donate their kidneys to stay in SoCal... or <insert whatever reason you want> at the expense if not being able to save much money for the future. Then 20 years down the road, wonder why they're behind in retirement savings, or can't send their kids to college, etc. etc. etc...

But besides the weather.. what else is wrong with it? If anything, SoCal traffic (or maybe that big earthquake lol) will kill you first before the heat does since it really only gets hot 3-4 months of the year. Maybe another thing they hate is that they're surrounded by rocks and prickly plants? lol

Nobody is stopping anyone from spending 30%+ of their income on housing... but is it wise? Not at all.

Last edited by man4857; 12-03-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-03-2017, 11:58 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am a person from the bubble of desirable real estate you are referring to: OC, LA, SD, Bay Area, DC. I have not lived in a place that is cheap and I don't know what that would be like. I do not think real estate in the places I have lived should cost what it does in El Paso. What say you? All prices should be the same?

What does "literally impossible to purchase property in NYC/SF" mean?

One cannot purchase property there?
I mean, unless you have some warped view where everyone makes 150k+ a year... then how can you even work the math to afford 1M+ properties?

It's just a simple fact that there are more lower wage workers than higher wage workers. And if you look at the income of a typical 2-income earner household with maybe some college education, and BA/BS degree, unless you're in some highly paid profession or maybe doing some illegal activity, there's no way you can afford that kind of real estate. Plain and simple.

Maybe you're different, which is fine. But you're one person. There's many more who can't afford as much as real estate prices are asking for. But those people also need a place to live. Everyone does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County