Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 05:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times

Advertisements

Anaheim's emergency declaration sets stage for removal of huge homeless encampment - LA Times

Moving the homeless is heartless, Anaheim! Each one should be provided a home, food, education, drug interdiction (as needed), counseling, medical care, dental care, and guaranteed "basic income".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 07:49 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,467 times
I'm rarely on the 57, but I just passed it again yesterday. I thought the city/county had removed the homeless encampment by the freeway and replaced it with the pile of gravel (?). The gravel was there yesterday, but wait a minute--the homeless tents are back up just a yards from its original spot. Is that right? Rows of camping tent along the 57 fwy!

The 37 year-old woman in the article does not look homeless at all--at least not the picture of homelessness I would think of. Very sad...

Old 09-14-2017, 08:50 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPIFCO View Post
The statement regarding Reagan is accurate in the historical sense. During his administration he led the program to eliminate federal help to the mentally ill, the drug addicted, those too lazy to provide for themselves, etc. Up until this expulsion from all the various institutions the mentally ill were housed, treated and fed at the federal governments expense. This expulsion created a new level of homeless people. After the great depression of the 30s was reversed by WWII, there were always some “bums and hobos” but nowhere near the numbers prior to their being put out on the streets an large numbers during Reagan’s eighties. Today these numbers have grown enormously as more people opt to take drugs and/or rely on public assistance. Unlike a large number of people today, Reagan did have the courage of his own convictions and spoke directly about this issue and did not feel the need to rely on euphuisms such as “conservative compassion” which is often used in a cruel or cynical manner. All the issues that the folks squabble about in this thread is nothing but old and settled business at least on the federal level. I don’t see anyone proposing we go back to the old system.
Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous.

We had 8 years of Clinton and 8 years of Obama in between Reagan and now. 16 years of Democrat Compassion wasn't able to solve the homeless problem either, and in fact since Reagan, homelessness has gotten worse (per capita) and overwhelmingly in Democrat controlled areas. In fact the top 5 homeless population centers in the U.S are located within Democrat controlled cities.

There is far more evidence to suggest that Democrat Compassion has created the homeless problem than the other way around.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:27 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
I'm rarely on the 57, but I just passed it again yesterday. I thought the city/county had removed the homeless encampment by the freeway and replaced it with the pile of gravel (?). The gravel was there yesterday, but wait a minute--the homeless tents are back up just a yards from its original spot. Is that right? Rows of camping tent along the 57 fwy!

The 37 year-old woman in the article does not look homeless at all--at least not the picture of homelessness I would think of. Very sad...
Yep your right they moved to the other side. The locals there call it the river view estates. It about 6 miles of tents, tarps, stolen bikes and bike parts and keep out signs. And of course tweekers, schitzos, and thieves..

Old 09-15-2017, 12:39 PM

27 posts, read 42,522 times
I once had a neighbor lady who set out food for stray cats. More cats showed up after this so she increased the amount of food. I don’t know if she was a democrat or republican but there were a lot of cats around her house. I hope she liked cats – I think she did.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
a bunch of stupid and racist comments here. most are from the conservative/libertarian element.

Truth is the problem crosses political boundaries, and all sides are to blame, and yes it goes back to the reagan era. But Reagan isnt the one to blame, neither is Obama.

Both conservatives and liberals both claimed victory when many mental institutions were closed. for liberals is was about preserving dignity, for conservatives, it was about conserving taxes.

Now it's about a lazy judicial/law enforcement system, the lack of politicians to compromise and good old-fashioned nimbyism.

The problem started when the homeless were allowed to congregate. This should have been nipped as soon as three tents went up.
Simply tell the campers to move on. Sociologists identify this as a "broken window syndrome" - ie: take care of the issue before it becomes a problem.

The second step is to identify what part of the homeless population are truly down on their luck, what part are living on the dole opportunists and what part are mentally hill.

Find a brown field in an industrial area, and set up fema-type trailers or tiny homes, and do not allow alcohol or drugs on the property, offer services to those that want it.

Many homeless have the I don't want to follow "rules and regulations", which will require some compromise deals between the courts and the ACLU (which I am glad exists) to set guidelines that will pass a constitutional test to relocate these people., or encourgae them to move on.

last, public mental hospitals need to be reopened and re-established for those that have no visible safety nets, but learn from the lessons of the pasts so "cuckoo-nests" are not allowed to develop from good intentions.

Yes, this will cost money, but as anyone can tell you, Taxes buy civilization, and the lack of funded services and enforcement are evident in the homeless problem.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
a bunch of stupid and racist comments here. most are from the conservative/libertarian element.

Truth is the problem crosses political boundaries, and all sides are to blame, and yes it goes back to the reagan era. But Reagan isnt the one to blame, neither is Obama.

Both conservatives and liberals both claimed victory when many mental institutions were closed. for liberals is was about preserving dignity, for conservatives, it was about conserving taxes.

Now it's about a lazy judicial/law enforcement system, the lack of politicians to compromise and good old-fashioned nimbyism.

The problem started when the homeless were allowed to congregate. This should have been nipped as soon as three tents went up.
Simply tell the campers to move on. Sociologists identify this as a "broken window syndrome" - ie: take care of the issue before it becomes a problem.

The second step is to identify what part of the homeless population are truly down on their luck, what part are living on the dole opportunists and what part are mentally hill.

Find a brown field in an industrial area, and set up fema-type trailers or tiny homes, and do not allow alcohol or drugs on the property, offer services to those that want it.

Many homeless have the I don't want to follow "rules and regulations", which will require some compromise deals between the courts and the ACLU (which I am glad exists) to set guidelines that will pass a constitutional test to relocate these people., or encourgae them to move on.

last, public mental hospitals need to be reopened and re-established for those that have no visible safety nets, but learn from the lessons of the pasts so "cuckoo-nests" are not allowed to develop from good intentions.

Yes, this will cost money, but as anyone can tell you, Taxes buy civilization, and the lack of funded services and enforcement are evident in the homeless problem.
Not in CA where taxes keep going up and the homeless keep growing as well.The higher the taxes the harder for people to love in CA and if they lose a job they become ... homeless.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:17 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,570 times
Quote:
Taxes buy civilization

Old 09-16-2017, 08:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Pathological Kantian altruism is scheis se.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:42 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:

There is a rv full of volunteers there every day trying to help people off that trail. Every body that wanted off has been phased out. People with kids #1 priority vets #2. The people left just will not leave not matter how many FEMA houses you set up etc. They hate being told what to do ,they hate authority ( maybe from time they were in prison). If they can't bring their dogs use their drugs drink their alcohol store their stolen bikes. They ain't moving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County